CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: At The Top

Pitching Wedge EWhelan is on a distinguished road EWhelan's Avatar

At The Top

Hello forum need some help on my swing At The Top.

I have been basing my swing on a book called 'Such A Little Secret' by J. Wilson Barrett. His theory is that a good golf swing can be based on the masters of the past - Harvey Penick, Tommy Armour and Bobby Jones. It's a very good book.

Any way the basic theory is:

1. A Steady Head (right ear hole doesn't move)
    2. Knowledge of the two paths along which the
    clubhead must be swung i.e. the back swing and down swing
    3. The shifting of some weight to the left foot and leg.
    4. The correct first movement of the hands as the swing changes direction.

So my question is what about the hips. What movement of the hips comes at the top. I'm guessing that once you shift some weight to the left foot and leg the hips move.

in this book the author says that the hips should move very little on the back swing but doesn't go into detail about the hips on the down swing.

I have also read on Hogan that the only move that he felt for on the downswing was driving the right knee towards the ball before impact. Would that turn the hips correctly?

Thanks

Shagging Balls Gapwedge is on a distinguished road Gapwedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EWhelan View Post
    I have been basing my swing on a book called 'Such A Little Secret' by J. Wilson Barrett.
    I have read this book - and, from my perspective, it essentially provides just another swing thought in a universe cluttered with swing thoughts. The advantage is that, in this case, the thought is not actually related to swing mechanics.

I need to also preface my comments by stating I am not a pro - so please feel free to discard everything I say.

So my question is what about the hips. What movement of the hips comes at the top. I'm guessing that once you shift some weight to the left foot and leg the hips move.

In this book the author says that the hips should move very little on the back swing but doesn't go into detail about the hips on the down swing.

I have also read on Hogan that the only move that he felt for on the downswing was driving the right knee towards the ball before impact. Would that turn the hips correctly?
    First, I don't like the term 'backswing'. Moving the club back is not, and should never be a "swing". It is a controlled loading of the body. Think more along the lines of PLACING the club at the top.

I agree that there should be NO hip sway during this motion. This is the quickest way to rob yourself of power. The hips ROTATE. When moving back, the natural structure of the body requires two things: (1) the left leg knee bend increases and (2) the right leg knee bend decreases (but does NOT straighten). You might also sense some motion of the left knee towards the front and the right need toward the back. These movements happen naturally and should not be forced.

From the top there is LOTS of words / books / articles to describe how to start down. Penick calls this the 'magic move' and it is the main differentiator between pros and amateurs.

Perhaps the BEST way to describe this motion comes from T?a Leoni (yup, the hollywood actress - and scratch golfer). Try this experiment - grab a club and place the club at the top (notice the knees). From the top - think about hitting the ball with your dick .

(Sorry Dan - can't think of another way to say this. Here - I'll do it for you)

If you try this, you will notice your weight shift forward (good) with your knees leading (excellent), your hands falling into the slot (fantastics) and your head staying back (superb).

Let me know how this works.
    ________
    Grape ape marijuana strain
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:31 AM.

Pitching Wedge EWhelan is on a distinguished road EWhelan's Avatar
    I have to say that I never quite heard of using your !*^% for a swing thought before. I did try it and noticed a smooth weight shift and finishing on the left side with a high hands position. Sometimes though it seemed that my stanced position dropped on the way to impacted.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I'd be afraid to try that technique, I don't like the idea of a possible penalty for a double hit.

Shagging Balls Gapwedge is on a distinguished road Gapwedge's Avatar
    Sometimes though it seemed that my stanced position dropped on the way to impacted.
    Stop trying to hit the ball - just swing the club.
    ________
    Top Penny Stocks
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:31 AM.

Thread Information