100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

Adding weight to a Callaway 3-wood

Having reshafted a Big Bertha steelhead 3-wood with graphite, I need to add about 13g of lead tape to the head to get the SW that I want. What is the best place to add the weight on the head given the hawkeye sole plate? Too much at the toe or heel and I will get undesireable results I imagine. Or should I drill out the plug and add weight that way to the head using lead powder and epoxy? Again without much control of where (heel or toe) the weight winds up.

Thanks.

GarthM

Hybrid danscustom is on a distinguished road
    You won't gain much by drilling and filling + I wouldn't put powder down a graphite shaft anyway.
    These have an edge rather than a flat at the back - don't they, so positioning will be tougher.
    Toward the heal will make it slightly draw bias, but minimal.
    I would try to cover as much at the back as possible, roling under. This shouldn't affect the sole but without seeing it???
    Thanks, Dan
    True Length Technology @ [URL="http://www.danscustomgolfshop.com"]www.danscustomgolfshop.com[/URL]

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    Having reshafted a Big Bertha steelhead 3-wood with graphite, I need to add about 13g of lead tape to the head to get the SW that I want. What is the best place to add the weight on the head given the hawkeye sole plate? Too much at the toe or heel and I will get undesireable results I imagine. Or should I drill out the plug and add weight that way to the head using lead powder and epoxy? Again without much control of where (heel or toe) the weight winds up.

Thanks.

GarthM
    More info is required here. Why 13 GRAMS !!!. That's a hell of a lot !!! Something does not compute here. What shaft are we looking at, what lenght do we have, and what swing W. do we assume that we need ?

LMK

3 Wood eyeping is on a distinguished road eyeping's Avatar
    Try using a lite grip and this will reduce the amt. of tape required

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    More info is required here. Why 13 GRAMS !!!. That's a hell of a lot !!! Something does not compute here. What shaft are we looking at, what lenght do we have, and what swing W. do we assume that we need ?

LMK
    The original specs have the 3 wood as a D2 with the M10 uniflex steel shaft at 42.5". I have reshafted with a UST IRod graphite at the same length. I want to achieve at least a D3 SW. Current total weight is 326g and the current SW is about C7. 7 SW = 14g right? 1/2 sw per gram of head weight is pretty much the rule of thumb, no? The 13g comes from draping tape strips over the shaft right by the head and then weighing the strips.

GarthM

Quote Originally Posted by eyeping View Post
    Try using a lite grip and this will reduce the amt. of tape required
    I use the decade multicompound @ 55g with a couple wraps. Probably like 60g or so total.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    The original specs have the 3 wood as a D2 with the M10 uniflex steel shaft at 42.5". I have reshafted with a UST IRod graphite at the same length. I want to achieve at least a D3 SW. Current total weight is 326g and the current SW is about C7. 7 SW = 14g right? 1/2 sw per gram of head weight is pretty much the rule of thumb, no? The 13g comes from draping tape strips over the shaft right by the head and then weighing the strips.

GarthM
    Lenthen your club to 43.5", problem solved ! By adding 13 gr. to the head at 42.5" with an I ROD is not the way to go. The I ROD is not designed for a 3w head that weights 223 gr.!! Just because the steel version of This club was D2 @ 42.5 " does not mean that it should be duplicated with a graphite shaft. The mesage here is : do not get fixated on a certain SW. just because the steel one feels good @ D2.You are comparing apples to oranges.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Regardless of other valid comments this is the way to do it if you still want to go ahead.
    Remove the plug and add rat glue mixed with tungsten powder. This will spread the weight evenly through the head.(rotate the head after the mix has been inserted)when done just replug
    See this:
    http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GW0035
    There is another product for such a purpose made by the glue factory but way too expensive for us hobbyists
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Garth. Have you done this yet? Why do you have your mind set on 13 g? SW is only an arbritary figure.2 things you have to keep in mind. Adding 13 grams will soften the shaft flex. You have to keep that in mind when selecting a specific shaft. Now instead of trying to achieve a particular swing weight head to a range and add lead tape one strip at a time until the club feels right and/or you make consistent contact with the sweet spot. From there you'll know the exact amount you'll have to add to get that club to your liking.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information