100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shaft Tipping?

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar

Shaft Tipping?

Ok, I know nothing in this regard. Looking for some help. I have a 757 Speeder R flex. I love this shaft in my TaylorMade 510TP (390CC head). I have now installed it in my Nike Sasquatch Tour (460CC head). The shaft seems to play quit a bit softer in the Sasq. I am guessing this is due to the larger club head... I was wondering if I tipped the shaft could I stiffen it a bit? I would have no prob with playing the shaft shorter.. It plays 35 in the Sasq. now.. I would be up for 44.5" Probably don't want to go a lot shorter.. So any thoughts on how much to tip the shaft?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Bigger does not always equal heavier, the driver is typically the lightest club in the bag.

Can you weigh the 2 heads?

How about dry fitting the shaft in the two heads and measuring the freq of each combination?

I don't want add weight to the head I don't think... The shaft is already playing softer.. I still have a 510TP.. I guess I could freq. them both and see... The 757 is playing too soft in the Sasq. I am looking to make it a bit stiffer.

Birdie Weirfan is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    Ok, I know nothing in this regard. Looking for some help. I have a 757 Speeder R flex. I love this shaft in my TaylorMade 510TP (390CC head). I have now installed it in my Nike Sasquatch Tour (460CC head). The shaft seems to play quit a bit softer in the Sasq. I am guessing this is due to the larger club head... I was wondering if I tipped the shaft could I stiffen it a bit? I would have no prob with playing the shaft shorter.. It plays 35 in the Sasq. now.. I would be up for 44.5" Probably don't want to go a lot shorter.. So any thoughts on how much to tip the shaft?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

If I am not mistaken the Sasquatch tour has a longer BBGM . I guess that you would be able to conform this if you have a longer club when you switched the shaft from the R510 to the Sasquatch or had to cut it down at the butt.

In any event a longer BBGM will typically result in a shaft playing softer.

so yes you can tip it to stiffen it up although, I am not sure that 1/2 inch would be significant.

the other things that can come into play are head weight as stated already, pretty easy to tell that and it would have to be a fir amount of weight to make the shaft noticeably softer.

Also, shaft orientation can affect the stiffness, Speeders are known for large spines and being inconsistent around the shaft ( at least the several I have tested have been) so if you did not orient the shaft the same as it was in the other club it could very well play a 1/2 or more flex stiffer ( or softer for that matter)

so any one or combination of these could come into play

Thanks for the replies guys.. Not sure what to do. Maybe I will just look for a S flex Speeder..

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirfan View Post
    If I am not mistaken the Sasquatch tour has a longer BBGM . I guess that you would be able to conform this if you have a longer club when you switched the shaft from the R510 to the Sasquatch or had to cut it down at the butt.

In any event a longer BBGM will typically result in a shaft playing softer.

so yes you can tip it to stiffen it up although, I am not sure that 1/2 inch would be significant.

the other things that can come into play are head weight as stated already, pretty easy to tell that and it would have to be a fir amount of weight to make the shaft noticeably softer.

Also, shaft orientation can affect the stiffness, Speeders are known for large spines and being inconsistent around the shaft ( at least the several I have tested have been) so if you did not orient the shaft the same as it was in the other club it could very well play a 1/2 or more flex stiffer ( or softer for that matter)

so any one or combination of these could come into play
    I have found it to be the opposite with Speeders. The spine is not as detectable as they are in other brands. Having said that, I use a 652 "R" flex Speeder tipped 1/2 ". I tryed the "S" model and it was way to much shaft for me. Speeder tip sections are all of 2" long, so the 1/2" I took of my "R" flex was a good move . It's in the butt section where you will feel the big difference in the 2 shafts.

There you go, for what it's worth !

If I cut 1/2" off the tip of the speeder, any idea what the results will be?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Crystal ball my friend. Some shafts react to tip trimming while others don't. I tipped an EI 70 shaft 1 inch after a previous install and extended 1 inch it at the butt. The frequency was the same as before.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    If I cut 1/2" off the tip of the speeder, any idea what the results will be?
    Like Weirfan stated, the BBGM is longer in the NIKE, hence the softer feel. I would not tip more than a 1/2" on the Speeder because of the short tip section. What is the difference between the BBGM of both clubs ? Let's not overlook the positioning of the CG between both heads. Lower CG heads feel different than TP models on a shaft.
    Like chief eluded to, crystal ball, trial and error. Besides , what's a new 757 cost, about $250.00. Peanuts !!!

Thread Information