CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

OK So this may verge onto politics... but whatever

Why is it that my lovely double-tall, non-fat, no-foam latte (yeah I'll take the heat on this one) was 3 cents less this morning, but when I went to fill the gas tank (on the car), the price was no less than on Monday????? Hmmm GST reduction my aunt fanny.....

Same thing happened 2 years ago, folks got annoyed for a time and then gave up a collective "oh well, whatever" and we continue to get screwed on gas prices whenever the big companies decide to ramp up prices, or in this case just make an easy 1% extra on our behalf.

Phew, I'm done now......

Happy new year all.......hope your golf course is close to home coz it's gonna cost a bunch to get there in the spring.....

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Twice in the last couple of weeks I heard on the radio that gas prices were going to go up by morning so I headed to top up and guess what they have signs up that they're out of gas. BS I go back in the morning and I'm sure the tankers didn't come in over night and sure enough it's up a few cents a litre. What a coincedence this is. They'll rake in the extra money.

Happy New Year

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I asked for my GST refund on the ferry from Masson----the guy didn't even know what I was talking about-----Why don't I find it hard to believe?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    Why is it that my lovely double-tall, non-fat, no-foam latte (yeah I'll take the heat on this one) was 3 cents less this morning, but when I went to fill the gas tank (on the car), the price was no less than on Monday????? Hmmm GST reduction my aunt fanny.....

Same thing happened 2 years ago, folks got annoyed for a time and then gave up a collective "oh well, whatever" and we continue to get screwed on gas prices whenever the big companies decide to ramp up prices, or in this case just make an easy 1% extra on our behalf.

Phew, I'm done now......

Happy new year all.......hope your golf course is close to home coz it's gonna cost a bunch to get there in the spring.....
    Starbucks' prices are fixed for long periods and tax is added on top. So 1% is 1%.

Gas prices, at least in my neck of the woods, vary greatly from morning (highest) to late evening (lowest) by as much as 4 cents. So the tax reduction will be taken into account depending on the gas station competion - station A reduces by 1% then station B will reduce by 1% to keep its market share. But since the prices are so volatile it will be very hard to decompose and determine if profits rose or remained the same.
    Back at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3 View Post
    Starbucks' prices are fixed for long periods and tax is added on top. So 1% is 1%.

Gas prices, at least in my neck of the woods, vary greatly from morning (highest) to late evening (lowest) by as much as 4 cents. So the tax reduction will be taken into account depending on the gas station competion - station A reduces by 1% then station B will reduce by 1% to keep its market share. But since the prices are so volatile it will be very hard to decompose and determine if profits rose or remained the same.
    The issue is that any goods/services that have tax "included" will never accurately reflect the drop in GST, the vendor will simply make 1% more than last year. Gas is a prime example of this, the Masson ferry is also a good example.

Burns me up is all....

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    No price reduction for gas in this area. Of course even if there was a 5% tax reduction the Big Oil Boys would not lower the price. It would stay the same due to increases in production costs, blah, blah blah.

Gas prices here can go up and down 5-10 cents a litre in 24 hours. How the gas companies can justify that is beyond me.

Future Shop puts a TV on sale today for $1199.00 It stays at that price for the week. It doesn't go down to $1099, then back to $1299 then back down to $1999 within a one week period.

I did notice the price of a large Timmies came down a penny! I told my wife she was saving big bucks now

IMO any money you save is money in the bank.

2007 GST on a $35,000 car = $2100
    2008 GST on a $35,000 car = $1750
    Savings = $350

Better to have that $350 in your pocket than the government. That 1 % might not seem like much but over time it adds up.

I am sure some small retailers will be messed up for a day or two, They should not be but they will be. If they are not complying with the new GST Rate then contact the BBB or your local MP's office and file a complaint.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

The issue is that any goods/services that have tax "included" will never accurately reflect the drop in GST, the vendor will simply make 1% more than last year. Gas is a prime example of this, the Masson ferry is also a good example.

Burns me up is all....
    Masson ferry ... ummmm ... yeah, you are just plain screwed.

Gas prices .... keep going to the lowest price seller and the price will reflect the 1%, but it may not be noticable.

What else has the "GST included"?
    Back at it.

Booze, public parking (meters/lots), public transit, cab fares, stamps, newspapers, vending machine purchases, and most golf green fees are taxes included (that last one may be of interest to many here....and also the first one.... )

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I wonder if the cost of a book of stamps will drop by 1% today--Hmmmm
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Here's one for you to digest.
    I was in the local vareity store this morning to pick up a paper. The lady was telling me about the GST deal. She said the Ontario government put the tax up on smokes yesterday.

So much for that GST reduction savings on your ciggies!

Was your paper any cheaper? Didn't think so.....What are smokes now anyways, like $10 a pack? Surprised the smuggling in Cornwall has not resurfaced like it did back in the early 90's.

Booze, public parking (meters/lots), public transit, cab fares, stamps, newspapers, vending machine purchases, and most golf green fees are taxes included (that last one may be of interest to many here....and also the first one.... )
    A lot of government regulated items in the list.

FYI - Manderley adds the tax on top of the posted price, but not sure about others.
    Back at it.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    I wonder if the cost of a book of stamps will drop by 1% today--Hmmmm
    Postage stamps do not include GST.

Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3 View Post
    A lot of government regulated items in the list.

FYI - Manderley adds the tax on top of the posted price, but not sure about others.

Been a long time since I paid a green fee...especially at Manderley (no offense intended)

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Most courses list prices that do not include GST, so the bottom line should reflect the change.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    IMO any money you save is money in the bank.

2007 GST on a $35,000 car = $2100
    2008 GST on a $35,000 car = $1750
    Savings = $350
    True, but the obvious drawback to this is you need to spend to save. In this case a 35K purchase saves $350.
    I would much prefer an additional 1% cut to personal income tax.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Verging on political when you cross the line between retailers applying the tax and how you think tax reduction should be allocated.

Between the lower GST and the stronger dollar canadian consumers should benefit soon.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Verging on political when you cross the line between retailers applying the tax and how you think tax reduction should be allocated.

Between the lower GST and the stronger dollar canadian consumers should benefit soon.

I agree Dan. Last week I purchased a new Amateur Radio transceiver. At the dealer in Toronto I paid $700.94 taxes in. They reduced the price to reflect not charging the GST during Boxing Day Sale Week.

Same radio in USA would cost me $549.00, $620.37 after paying the taxes when it comes across the border. Add on shipping, which one dealer in the US quoted me $50 and I would have saved a total of $30 and had no warranty as Icom Canada does not warranty an Icom product purchased in USA and shipped here.

BTW, you will be seeing a tax reduction on your income taxes. At least I saw it on my January Pension statement. I gained $26/month take home due to reduced taxes. So working people making more money than I am on pension will benefit more than that.

I look at this way. A buck in my pocket beats putting it in the government's pocket

Thread Information