CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar

A restless Leaf Nation relives the glory of '67

From todays Ottawa Citizen sports. Leafs are honouring the 1967 Cup champs tonight.

HaHaHAHA...!!! 40 years from now those 1967 player's kids and grandkids will be at centre ice going through the same ceremony celebrating the last Leafs Cup win !!!

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...f34e07&k=32123

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    From todays Ottawa Citizen sports. Leafs are honouring the 1967 Cup champs tonight.

HaHaHAHA...!!! 40 years from now those 1967 player's kids and grandkids will be at centre ice going through the same ceremony celebrating the last Leafs Cup win !!!

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...f34e07&k=32123
    As opposed to the great-grandchildren of the Sens last cup team...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    That was a completely ridiculous display. Celebrating a cup from 40 years ago? As if the 40th anniversary is a good milestone? And forcing all of Canada to watch it? Simply unbelievable. And, yes LobWedge, the last time a team from ottawa won it was 1927. Counting active years, however, that is only a 22 year drought (also, when was the last time you saw a celebration of that anniversary. Ottawa isn't having an 80th anniversary celebration this year. Why? Because 40 or 80 years is not something to celebrate. I think the general point here is that Toronto is clinging to the last glimpse of greatness that they ever had, and should really stop celebrating their wonderful franchise to the nauseum of everybody else in the country.

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    And forcing all of Canada to watch it? Simply unbelievable.
    There's a neat little device called a "remote control". You should have recieved one with your TV...

bbad
    There's also the french channel to watch the habs game...much better than watching 'leaf nation'..even if you don't understand french, it's still better

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    That was a completely ridiculous display. Celebrating a cup from 40 years ago? As if the 40th anniversary is a good milestone? And forcing all of Canada to watch it? Simply unbelievable. And, yes LobWedge, the last time a team from ottawa won it was 1927. Counting active years, however, that is only a 22 year drought (also, when was the last time you saw a celebration of that anniversary. Ottawa isn't having an 80th anniversary celebration this year. Why? Because 40 or 80 years is not something to celebrate. I think the general point here is that Toronto is clinging to the last glimpse of greatness that they ever had, and should really stop celebrating their wonderful franchise to the nauseum of everybody else in the country.
    Well Said

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Great to hear Keon was in attendance. I missed watching this but as a Leaf fan I have to say it is a little sad. 40 years without a cup is not something to celebrate they should have done something real and RETIRED Keon's number 14.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    Dont think it was meant to be a celabration. They honoured a great team. Granted one that played 40 years ago. But hey Im sure if I get that elusive hole in one this year I'll keep the ball and show the grand kids and tell them all about it. Even if its the only one I ever get.
    Or is this just a thead to take away from the "will the leafs make the playoff" thread. Now that things are looking up a little in Leaf nation?
    Like jbrace said. If you didnt like it. The option was there to change the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark View Post
    Great to hear Keon was in attendance. I missed watching this but as a Leaf fan I have to say it is a little sad. 40 years without a cup is not something to celebrate they should have done something real and RETIRED Keon's number 14.

I agree 100 percent. I would have been glad to watch them retire Keon's number...he has earned it.

And as much as others say I had the option of changing the channel, it is true only to a limited extent. CBC has the monopoly on saturday night hockey, and they should not be abusing that monopoly to show us a longwinded "i love the leafs" ceremony once a month.

I agree 100 percent. I would have been glad to watch them retire Keon's number...he has earned it.

And as much as others say I had the option of changing the channel, it is true only to a limited extent. CBC has the monopoly on saturday night hockey, and they should not be abusing that monopoly to show us a longwinded "i love the leafs" ceremony once a month.

Testify jonf - and all Canadian Tax Payers footed the bill to have that little love in piped into our homes

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    CBC has the monopoly on saturday night hockey, and they should not be abusing that monopoly to show us a longwinded "i love the leafs" ceremony once a month.
    Thats why I bought the Rogers NHL Centre Ice..... I get to watch the teams I WANT TO..... not what the CBC tells me I have to.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post

Testify jonf - and all Canadian Tax Payers footed the bill to have that little love in piped into our homes
    Thanks for chipping in, Hacker.

Go right ahead an count your "active years". There's no reason those Stanley Cup banners should be hanging at the Bank in the first place. If it wasn't for Bruce Firestone whining and crying to the league to get a "letter of reinstatement" to "validate" their history we wouldn't even be having this discussion. The original Senators buggered off to St. Louis in 1935. This incarnation of the Sens has no real history at all, and no Cups, no matter what John "The Puppet" Ziegler says. The other reason that the Sens don't have any kind of pseudo-celebrations is that there's no one left from the original team anyway.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Do you want me to be apologetic because an Ottawa team was allowed back into the league and they decided to "count" the cups from the days of the Silver Seven? Of course we wouldn't be having this conversation if Ottawa wouldn't have been allowed back and if they hadn't allowed the cups to count. Oh wait, yes we would, because Toronto would still be celebrating how awesome they were 40 years ago.

And you're right that Ottawa fans have no legitimate cups to celebrate since 1992. I don't have any problem admitting it. But wait, that sounds a lot like another team from Ontario, I just can't remember which one it is. It's on the tip of my tongue, I just can't find the word. They think they're the greatest team in sports history. They think that their inherent awesomeness makes up for 40 years of futility. I just can't remember which team it is. Can anybody else help me out here?

Did you know that 11 Teams who did not exist in 1967 have won the Stanley Cup in during the leafs 40 year drought?

In total 17 teams that did not exist in 1967 have been to the Stanley Cup Finals since the leafs last won the cup.

Let them celebrate jonf, they have 40 years worth of parade plans that have been just sitting around collecting dust

They think they're the greatest team in sports history. They think that their inherent awesomeness makes up for 40 years of futility. I just can't remember which team it is. Can anybody else help me out here?

That would be called a fan.

And be realistic guys. every team has these ceremonies to honour different things. Its called PR and keeps the FANS interested.

Quote Originally Posted by knickers View Post
    And be realistic guys. every team has these ceremonies to honour different things. Its called PR and keeps the FANS interested.
    Hmmmmm, an interesting item on Sportsnet had the NHL saying that they were considering a rule that limited these events to under 30 minutes because it took away from the game. They were talking about a $50,000 fine for the 2nd offense and possibly a 2 minute delay of game to the home team at the start!.

Doesn't sound like the NHL thinks it is good PR.... but then again, the new American NHL has watered down the product on the ice so why not get involved in screwing up the product off the ice too!

Absolutely - I agree 100%

.......but since we are being realistic and honest, you have to admit that when you heard they were doing this your first thought was probably "Cool, it'll be nice to see some of those old-time heros" followed very quickly by your second thought which was probably something like "Great, just what all the Habs and Sens fans needed, more joke fodder"

It was nice to see Davie Keon though

Usually they're just something more recent or significant. A 40 year old cup victory or a random 1 hour ceremony to honour Tie Domi? I mean, honestly, if you're going to honour Tie Domi, that's fine, he's a fan favourite. But don't do it on a saturday night...do it during the week so that Hockey Night in Canada does not become some farcical aquatic ceremony which pisses off more people than it pleases.

And although it was more than well deserved. The ceremony for Ken Dryden was a perfect example of it lasting to long.
    So we really shouldnt act like the Leafs are the only team running these marathon ceremonies. Montreal has had more than their fair share of these, as well as most of the origonal 6 teams.
    The NHL wouldn't be thinking about implamenting rules against this if it were only one team doing this. They would just Tell the Leafs to cut it out.

Absolutely - I agree 100%

.......but since we are being realistic and honest, you have to admit that when you heard they were doing this your first thought was probably "Cool, it'll be nice to see some of those old-time heros" followed very quickly by your second thought which was probably something like "Great, just what all the Habs and Sens fans needed, more joke fodder"

It was nice to see Davie Keon though
    I have to correct you on this. The jokes that I'd hear are the first thing that went through my mind.

I have to correct you on this. The jokes that I'd hear are the first thing that went through my mind.
    LOL

And although it was more than well deserved. The ceremony for Ken Dryden was a perfect example of it lasting to long.
    So we really shouldnt act like the Leafs are the only team running these marathon ceremonies. Montreal has had more than their fair share of these, as well as most of the origonal 6 teams.
    The NHL wouldn't be thinking about implamenting rules against this if it were only one team doing this. They would just Tell the Leafs to cut it out.

I do agree that the ceremonies in general are just plain too long. But it is also easier to swallow a 1 hour ceremony for Ken Dryden than for Domi or a 40 year old cup team.

I wouldn't say that montreal has more than their fair share though. They have more than anybody else, but they also have far more cups and far more hall of famers than anybody else.

I do agree that the ceremonies in general are just plain too long. But it is also easier to swallow a 1 hour ceremony for Ken Dryden than for Domi or a 40 year old cup team.

I wouldn't say that montreal has more than their fair share though. They have more than anybody else, but they also have far more cups and far more hall of famers than anybody else.
    But why not just admit it. You didnt like it because it was to do with the Leafs. And the Dryden ceremony was 2 hours long. Again although well deserved.
    But if we go on the basis of the most cups and so on. then I guess the leafs are the 2nd best hockey franchise of all time.

Sorry jon, have to disagree with ya.... that Dryden ceremony was disgusting! Listening to his brother Dave drove me crazy...... mind you after about 15 minutes I just said screw this and did the same thing I did to the Leafs public love affair with the 67 team, I change the channel to Flip That House

........tied for 2nd with the Original Sens

LOL lets talk about FIGJAM instead since that is a sore spot with members too

I guess that makes the race to the next cup that much more important than.

I guess that makes the race to the next cup that much more important than.
    The next cup is the only cup that matters IMO. What happened in the past is history, and I don't like history.

Especially these days when a team can significantly change itself from one year to the next

As a history major, I love history...it, like the leafs, is inherently awesome. But that is really my main problem with the leafs celebration. They're celebrating a team that really has zero relation to their current team, other than their jerseys.

Thread Information