139 48.60%
  • Planning on doing so in the future

75 26.22%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Getting fitted poll

Just curious to find out how many people on this forum have ever been fitted by a clubmaker/clubfitter? If yes did that make a big difference in your game? If no why not? Not talking about an occasional shaft change but a full clubfitting session involving launch monitor,swing speed, grip sizing etc..
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    nope. don't have the money

nope. don't have the money
    That was fast. How much do you think a fitting session goes for?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    That was fast. How much do you think a fitting session goes for?
    Well, I figure that the analysis is probably between 50 to 100, depending on who's doing it, and how many clubs I'm getting analysed. And then, if the changes are actually significant, I assume that I'll be spending at least another 200 to 300 on making those changes (at least).

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Well, I figure that the analysis is probably between 50 to 100, depending on who's doing it, and how many clubs I'm getting analysed. And then, if the changes are actually significant, I assume that I'll be spending at least another 200 to 300 on making those changes (at least).

Wow I am glad I live where I do. Club fitting is free here. At least it was for me, twice, no wait 3 times.

No maybe you will be charged if you are not buying new irons etc from the fitter.

Of course you can go to TaylorMade and spend $200-250 for the computerized fitting. BUT if you do that and buy new TM irons most of that is refunded to you.

Most Club Pros will fit you for free if you buy irons from them. Mine did, no charge.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

5 Iron semperfi45 is on a distinguished road semperfi45's Avatar
    I believe most club makers will do the fitting for free if you buy your clubs from them. Charge for the fitting and refund with the purchase. I don't charge for fitting and I don't believe Lyle Alexander, or Don Irving charge for fitting.

Lyle didn't charge me for fitting of my first set of fitted clubs years ago. Unless the fitting price was factored in the price. I don't believe it was though.

Sand Wedge hoganblades is on a distinguished road hoganblades's Avatar
    I was told $240US for a driver fitting at a Connecticut, US, golf shop without the purchase of a driver. Ouch! But, it would be included in the price of the driver if I bought it from them.

I work with a lie board at the range and bend my irons myself. (DIY guy.) Driver, I tried my driver head with a few different shafts, and found the one that works most consistently for me. Same with FW woods.

It would interest me to know precisely my numbers for all my clubs. But, here around NYC, the cost is ridiculous.

Cheers!

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Received this email the other day might be of interest to snowbirds on the gulf:

,Join us at GolfTEC

Come to GolfTEC Westshore on Tuesday February 19th, from 2:00 to 6:00 to try out the 2013 TaylorMade R1 and RBZ Stage 2 clubs and receive a Free fitting from the TaylorMade staff.

Feel free to bring in your existing equipment and compare it to the new TaylorMade line of drivers, fairway woods, hybrids and irons.

Event Details

Date/Time: Tuesday, February 19th, 2:00 - 6:00
    Special Offers: Free Fitting from TaylorMade Tech Reps
    RSVP: Don Costanzo, dcostanzo@golftec.com, 813-202-8516

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Yep. Always.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hybrid danscustom is on a distinguished road
    It's sad to say but no, I had not had a fitting prior to the start of my Clubbuilding days. Since I started taking courses I have been fit several times, once made me realize that I was actually decelerating at the ball - too early of a release.
    My second fitting I began to realize the importance of lie angle and directional control due to the correct or incorrect lie angle. Length is a no brainer - they have to fit you and you alone.

Now, my opinion on fitting is that this is one of the single most important issues a golfer can do tho help improve his or her game. Lengths and lies - must be set correctly or you loose accuracy and feel. Lessons help fix the swing mechanics.

Proper fit clubs - then lessons - great match.
    Thanks, Dan
    True Length Technology @ [URL="http://www.danscustomgolfshop.com"]www.danscustomgolfshop.com[/URL]

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    danscustom, I agree with you that properly fitted clubs are important. But I have to disagree with your order. If someone plans on taking lessons, take your lessons until you groove a somewhat repeatable swing. If you're a beginner, go get fitted for clubs, then take lessons you'll probably have to get fitted again. Most likely your angle of attack into the ball will improve, your clubhead speed may improve. All of these will factor into different measurements for a fitting. Because I know when I first started playing I had to change my lies a few times as my posture and swing path changed and improved. I even upped to s-flex shafts from r-flexes once my swing improved. I would've hated to have spend a fortune on fitted clubs, worked at my game and then had to get fitted again. I bought a cheap starter set, practiced, practiced and practiced, then upgraded to a better set with the proper lies for me.

But if you are a player happy with your game, by all means get fitted and go out and enjoy the game.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Sorry Geoff, but I have to respond.
    If you learn on clubs that are ill fitted to you then you learn habits that get instilled by these improperly fit clubs. If a shaft is too long, this forces a lie angle error, causing the golfer to compensate in their swing. If the feel is too heavy you develope release problems. etc. etc.
    A properly fit set will put the player in the correct address position, giving them the opportunity to develope sound swing techniques.
    Yes there is always a chance you will need an adjustment after the lessons, but it will be minor.

My pro - who plays my clubs and Technology was a believer in lessons first, until I had some time to work with her, now she sends the client to me first.
    She played with ill fitted clubs - fit by a world renowned fitter who will remain nameless - After being forced to play a giant draw, caused by the equipment, she now has had to re-teach herself into correct swing habits with a set that now fits. She has never hit the ball better. She told me this.

Its like learning to drive a car with a seat thats way too low, you make adjustments, but you still stand a greater chance of crashing.
    I cannot emphasize this enough.
    Thanks, Dan
    True Length Technology @ [URL="http://www.danscustomgolfshop.com"]www.danscustomgolfshop.com[/URL]

9 Iron rutkay is on a distinguished road
    Only comment I would make is maybe lessons first then do the fitting. Depend on the skill level, I could see significant swing changes occurring from lessons that could render a prior fitting obsolesce.

Quote Originally Posted by rutkay View Post
    Only comment I would make is maybe lessons first then do the fitting. Depend on the skill level, I could see significant swing changes occurring from lessons that could render a prior fitting obsolesce.
    If a woman or a kid or a weaker older person is given an old set of men stiff clubs then lessons will be a total waste of time and money in my honest opinion..
    I see it all the time at the range and on the course. Example: Some ladies can barely get ball airborne on their tee shot yet they insist on hitting a 11 degree driver. Then I suggest hitting a hybrid off the tee. Guess what happens....
    Mahatma Gandhi

Gap Wedge careyhrrs67 is on a distinguished road careyhrrs67's Avatar
    don't need one big chief,,because i dont have to guess myself!! i fit myself as i play,, before any questions,just think on how you could do just that!!

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    i usually get fitted every year, incase anything changes... and if something so wrong mid season ill go back and get fitted again. its a real confidence booster knowing that those clubs are tuned to your and only your specs

I agree with Dan on this one. How could you learn a good swing with poorly fitted clubs?

Agent99
    Funny you ask, Chief; I was just fitted for irons and woods at Swing Sync two days ago, on Valentine’s Day (thanks again, Mr. K). I got the whole wrist-to-floor, hand size, frequency matching, and was surprised to hear I am at the top of the bell curve for women’s swing speeds (67-69). I had no idea. I thought I was slow!

Eric Cook is amazing at what he does and all those years of experience he brought to my fitting session humbles me. As we were leaving he told me I had a nice looking swing. I was just floating Valentine’s day. I’ll be getting my new KZG irons and woods in about two weeks. Wootness! I am still a relative beginner only having played 20 rounds ever (!) so they’ll be cast and we’ll save forged for the future.

Red face

KZG's are nice sticks. Don't worry about going to forged. It's playability that will be your friend. Sounds like your fitter / builder knows his stuff.
    Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 99 View Post
    Funny you ask, Chief; I was just fitted for irons and woods at Swing Sync two days ago, on Valentine’s Day (thanks again, Mr. K). I got the whole wrist-to-floor, hand size, frequency matching, and was surprised to hear I am at the top of the bell curve for women’s swing speeds (67-69). I had no idea. I thought I was slow!

Eric Cook is amazing at what he does and all those years of experience he brought to my fitting session humbles me. As we were leaving he told me I had a nice looking swing. I was just floating Valentine’s day. I’ll be getting my new KZG irons and woods in about two weeks. Wootness! I am still a relative beginner only having played 20 rounds ever (!) so they’ll be cast and we’ll save forged for the future.
    Thanks, Dan

Agent99
    Quote Originally Posted by danscustom View Post
    KZG's are nice sticks. Don't worry about going to forged. It's playability that will be your friend. Sounds like your fitter / builder knows his stuff.
    Good Luck.
    Thanks Dan.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    It's funny how some guys have no problem getting the latest/greatest driver off the rack for 500.00-700.00,but worry about how much a clubfitter will charge for a fitting Myself,this year..i'm getting the complete a-z fitting followed by another round of lessons.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Happy V-day honey!

Lessons before clubfitting. There's no point in getting fitted for clubs when you've got a crappy, ever-changing swing. Also, if you have limited money to spend on golf, 300 dollars on lessons is better spent than 300 dollars on clubfitting. You can get fitted, but you will still have no idea how to swing the club. If, on the other hand, you take some lessons and improve your swing, you have a solid building block for years of golfing. You can always get fitted at a later date. Starting with at least some idea how to swing the club properly is invaluable. I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, but someone who is shooting consistently over 100 usually has a fairly unsound swing, with some pretty glaring weaknesses, that simply cannot be corrected by changing the length and lie angle of their clubs (and yes, I know there is more to clubfitting than that). It makes the game a lot more fun if you can see an improvement in your game, and know that it was because you worked hard to change something.

The only proper foundation for good golf is a good swing.

In Agent 99's case she hit the range a bunch of times and played 5 rounds or so with off the rack clubs. She decided she wanted to get into the game, so we got her an inexpensive fitted set with the length, lie and grip measured. She then had the winter membership at the OAC last winter, and improved significantly. She is pretty much hooked, so I figured it was time to get a frequency matched set for her. She can now progress with confidence that the sticks will not be in the way of her learning.

Granted, another fitting and set is in her future, but I feel this is a much better approach than fiddling around with trading out OTR sticks looking for the magic wands.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    My two cents on this.

Even for a beginner, it is a good idea to get fitted to start.

A first fitting is probably going to be mostly "physical", i.e. based on wrist to floor measurements, etc. Once that is done and the person starts to develop some basic skills it makes more sense to do an advanced fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    My two cents on this.
    Even for a beginner, it is a good idea to get fitted to start.
    A first fitting is probably going to be mostly "physical", i.e. based on wrist to floor measurements, etc. Once that is done and the person starts to develop some basic skills it makes more sense to do an advanced fitting.
    Absolutely.

Maybe I should be clear here. I definitely don't question the value of clubfitting. But in terms of equipment, there is no magic wand, off the rack or otherwise. I just think the first priority of any golfer should be the swing. If, after they have a solid swing, they choose to get a clubfitting, that is ideal. But, given a choice between the two, I would take lessons first any day.

My point isn't for day 1 to go get a set of fitted sticks. Yes, you do have to have some knowledge of the swing prior to investing hard earned money. I guess I am refering to people who have played for a short while, decided the game is something they enjoy, and want to get better. Nothing wrong with going for a partial lesson at this point - but - If you go for full lessons with clubs that do not fit you are instilling habits that will cause poor ballflight.

I've had local teachers tell there students to go get there clubs altered as it is difficult to develope a good swing with clubs that are too long, short, wrong lie, wrong grip size etc.

As Tiger grew his dad always made sure the clubs fit - every year, so as to not develope poor swing habits caused by clubs that did not fit. Different league, yes, but I agree with this method regardless of who you are.

As your swing developes you adapt to your clubs. If your clubs do not produce the right trajectory you begin to compensate.
    My game struggled for 25 years with 'non fitted clubs'. After I learned the importance of length and lie, not only did my swing self improve, but my scores also began to reflect that.
    I am a big believer in lessons, please don't get me wrong, but we just simply disagree on the order.

I will be returning to lessons again this year, but with clubs that fit, just like the person teaching the lesson.
    Thanks, Dan

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Just curious to find out how many people on this forum have ever been fitted by a clubmaker/clubfitter? If yes did that make a big difference in your game? If no why not? Not talking about an occasional shaft change but a full clubfitting session involving launch monitor,swing speed, grip sizing etc..
    My wife gave me a fitting session in Calgary as a Christmas present several years ago. It involved everything you listed above. As I remember, it cost about $125.00. I did not pursue getting a set of irons built, as the cost was way more than I could afford.

Maybe I am giving too much credit to the pros, but I would hope that they focus on a good overall swing, rather than one that will give the best immediate results. I will agree that one who focusses on immediate results will not help if you're clubs are improperly fitted.

I do remember that when I went for my one and only lesson, I was about thirteen, and the first thing that the pro had be do was choke down about an inch on my clubs...helped enormously. Certainly that kind of adjustment will be very useful for a beginner (but does it really require customization?).

I may also, at this point, just be one of the lucky ones who fits off-the-rack clubs well, and may therefore underestimate the value of a fitting. I have certainly seen people set up to the ball with the toe of the club well above the ground, obviously in need of a fitting. One person I played with regularly was really tall, and always looked uncomfortable playing his off-the-rack clubs...Its not easy to choke UP on a club. Granted, I have only had 3 sets, but I have found that they have all felt comfortable and set me up in a relatively good starting position. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Thread Information