My point isn't for day 1 to go get a set of fitted sticks. Yes, you do have to have some knowledge of the swing prior to investing hard earned money. I guess I am refering to people who have played for a short while, decided the game is something they enjoy, and want to get better. Nothing wrong with going for a partial lesson at this point - but - If you go for full lessons with clubs that do not fit you are instilling habits that will cause poor ballflight.

I've had local teachers tell there students to go get there clubs altered as it is difficult to develope a good swing with clubs that are too long, short, wrong lie, wrong grip size etc.

As Tiger grew his dad always made sure the clubs fit - every year, so as to not develope poor swing habits caused by clubs that did not fit. Different league, yes, but I agree with this method regardless of who you are.

As your swing developes you adapt to your clubs. If your clubs do not produce the right trajectory you begin to compensate.
My game struggled for 25 years with 'non fitted clubs'. After I learned the importance of length and lie, not only did my swing self improve, but my scores also began to reflect that.
I am a big believer in lessons, please don't get me wrong, but we just simply disagree on the order.

I will be returning to lessons again this year, but with clubs that fit, just like the person teaching the lesson.