100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    "Richard"

brain teaser!!!!

You are standing at the center of a circle. There is a dog waiting for you outside of the circle. The dog cannot enter the circle and remains on the circumference of the circle at all times. You must get out of this circle without the dog catching you. The dog runs 4 times faster than you do!

The dog will always runs in such a way that he is as close to you as possible without entering the circle. The dog never stays still and is always moving as are you. You can assume instant direction changes... lets not get to tech.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Shoot the dog.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I second Dan's motion, shoot the dog. Or if you are in that circle and have your bag of clubs on your back you could use a good solid swing with a 9 iron.

I am not against dogs, but hey you gotta get out of that circle or you will be late for your tee time
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Let's assume we have a circle with a radius of 10m.

The circumference of that circle will be Pi*(2*r) = 3.14*(5m*2) = 31.4 meters.

If you run directly away from the dog (180 degree opposite to the dog) he would have to travel 1/2 the circumference of the circle or (31.4m/2) = 15.7m

You have to cover 5 meters before the dog covers 15.7 meters, but the dog runs 4 times as fast as you. To do this, you must run EXACTLY 4.5 meters and STOP. The Dog will be right in front of you where the continuation of your path intersects the circle.......this is the critical step.......once you come to a complete stop, take out your 5 iron and beat that mangy mutt to a pulp, clean off your 5 iron, step over the beaten down, flee bitten former man's best friend and continue on your way.........

Is this the kind of easy problems that you math geeks deal with on a regular basis??!!???

I see a trend...

"Richard"
    other than myself I dont think anyone can get the correct answer. Dan I'm calling PETA... maybe pamela anderson will show up at the next OG event

I guess Indianna Jones was before your time?

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I'm just wondering, does this dog want to hurt me? I would like to avoid running if possible so I'd probably just take a nap in the circle if he does indeed want to hurt me. If he was still awake when I got up from my nap I would probably try the Croc Dundee finger waving trick. If that didn't work I'd just pull out my cell and call animal control and go have another nap until they arrived to take care of the mutt.

Your problem says the dog is on the outside of the circle and you are on the inside, and all you have to do is get out of the circle. You never really said you had to go anywhere. I don't get it?
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

"Richard"
    sure, if you want to sit in the circle for the rest of your life...

You to realize that means no golf right?

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    You must get out of this circle without the dog catching you.
    Once I'm out, then what. How far do I have to get t obe safe and all that ... is this a math question or a trick question?
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by "Richard" View Post
    sure, if you want to sit in the circle for the rest of your life...

You to realize that means no golf right?
    No, because the dog will eventually get hungry and leave to find some food. Dogs can not concentrate as long as I can! Then out I go and off to the first tee I go. To meet Dan, cause he shot the dog that was outside his circle!
    You however are stuck inside your circle because your dog loves the smell of curry! Didn't I tell you to lay off that stuff?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams View Post
    ... is this a math question or a trick question?
    Or maybe a post-padding question...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Or maybe a post-padding question...
    Ya, I'm not spending too muc htime on this one for fear that there is no answer!

Well, as long as there is an answer...

I'll take "Trick Question" for 200 Alex.

"Richard"
    Once I'm out, then what. How far do I have to get t obe safe and all that ... is this a math question or a trick question?
    math question, not a trick question. While in the cirlce you are safe, once out of the circle you are safe. Find a way to get out without the dog catching you at the edge of the circle. There is no trick to this, just logic and math. I don't imagine these old farts being able to get it, it will take a university kid who still uses his brain from time to time

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    No, because the dog will eventually get hungry and leave to find some food. Dogs can not concentrate as long as I can! Then out I go and off to the first tee I go. To meet Dan, cause he shot the dog that was outside his circle!
    You however are stuck inside your circle because your dog loves the smell of curry! Didn't I tell you to lay off that stuff?
    yeah you did tell me to lay off that stuff on msn but I can't help it!!!! Its so good!!! You know whats hilarious??? My old dog used to love the smell of curry. I lived on huntsman before and when we were going for a walk he would always think we were at our house but really it was just the other indians that lived on our street. It was soo funny. I have really bad heart burn today though, I think i will take your advice

math question, not a trick question. While in the cirlce you are safe, once out of the circle you are safe. Find a way to get out without the dog catching you at the edge of the circle. There is no trick to this, just logic and math. I don't imagine these old farts being able to get it, it will take a university kid who still uses his brain from time to time

I think the dog has already left the building, he went down the road to see that poodle on the other block!

"Richard"
    Ya, I'm not spending too muc htime on this one for fear that there is no answer!

THERE IS AN ANSWER!!!!!

logic and very very very simple math is required. Although this is really helping me get to 4000 though

assuming a 10m diameter for argument's sake.

stand in the center, run backwards 10% the diameter. the dog is now forced to run 50% of the circumfrence to get cloest to you.

When he is done running 25% of the circumfrence (7.83m) you will have already made your destination of 1m, cut towards the circle line in the opposite direction of where he is currently.

actually that's probably still not quite fast enough ... but I assume it's on the right track, you have to position the dog so that you have less than 1/4 of 1/2 the circumference left to run, and you can do that by moving in the opposite direction of the dog while standing in the center

Back to work, not time to do the math!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    lets say the circle has a diameter of 50cm. I wait till lassie is behind me, and step out of the circle.
    Andrew

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    You are standing at the center of a circle. There is a dog waiting for you outside of the circle. The dog cannot enter the circle and remains on the circumference of the circle at all times. You must get out of this circle without the dog catching you. The dog runs 4 times faster than you do!

The dog will always runs in such a way that he is as close to you as possible without entering the circle. The dog never stays still and is always moving as are you. You can assume instant direction changes... lets not get to tech.
    .......Say that there are actually 2 circles, one circle on the ground and one circle or globe that you are standing in, you can walk in a globe till your outside of the circle on the ground but the dog cannot get any closer to you since you are in a globe and can walk freely in any direction with the dog outside of the globe at the same distance at all times. Is this close?

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213 View Post
    .......Say that there are actually 2 circles, one circle on the ground and one circle or globe that you are standing in, you can walk in a globe till your outside of the circle on the ground but the dog cannot get any closer to you since you are in a globe and can walk freely in any direction with the dog outside of the globe at the same distance at all times. Is this close?
    My head hurts
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    My head hurts
    .....I think your going to need asprin before this is over

ok, on my afternoon break.

In continuing with what i posted earlier, you start in the middle and step back 1 unit. after stepping back a unit to step forwards on a 45* angle 2 units. When you are mid way through your 2 unit step you will cross the point where it becomes shorter for the dog to turn around and get to you, it will turn and run in the other direction.

Now step back and cross the line again, the dog turns again. repeat until you have zig zagged your way to safety

attached a picture in case it helps (although prolly makes it more confusing lol) ... outside squiggle is the dog, inside hardlines are you, multiple diameters shown to show that the dog is forced to turn around.

If this is proven wrong, I give up

Afternoon break is over .. back to work

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road
    The answer is to run in a smaller circle inside of the box. As long as the circumference of your circle is less than 4x the size of the bigger circle, you will be moving faster than the dog, at the point where the dog is furthest away from you, you'll be able to make a break for the edge of the circle... and you'll make it.

Ex:

If radius =5m and circum=31.4

You can run in a circle 1.2m away from the radius of the larger circle. Since the circumference of your circle is 7.53... you'll be moving faster than the dog is, you'll eventually get to a point where he is as far away in his circle as possible.... you then make a break for it. You have 3.8m to go, and the dog will have 15.7m so he won't be able to catch you.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Just drop a steak on the outside of the circle on one side walk away to the other side
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Tie a steak around Richard's neck and have him stand outside the circle. Problem solved.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Is this dog the famous gorilla catching chiwawa??? If it is I'm staying inside of the circle until it dies of old age (betcha a lot of people are scratching their heads right about now ) Check humor threads

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Simple. Give Jack Bauer a call. He'll learn that dog good.

Thread Information