100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Mike999

lessons,video sessions, club fitting...etc

Okay, so I began playing this here game last July. Ive played at a bunch of the courses around here in the minimal amount of time, and rounds, that I have played. I managed a 114 (woohoo) at eagle creek, and of a handful of the "cheaper" places, such as Glen Mar, pakenham, oaks of cobden, amberwood...by september I usually hit around 108 - 110ish.

So I am inquiring how I go about getting better this spring, so that by June or July Ive broken 100.

My biggest goal is to break 100 asap. I also want to hit a straight drive regularly. I bought a Nike Sasquatch last summer, but couldnt hit it, at all....to the point where it was better to hit a 5 iron off the tee every hole, so it doesnt go out of bounds. I would have kept the driver had I not had money issues with school. Those issues been solved however, and I picked up Jarred's G5 last week, after spending the weeks previous waiting for a screaming deal to come up.

So, I don't understand exactly how all of this specialized golf "help" works together.

Is club fitting important? Is it important to have a video session? What is so dang important about clubhead speed? Can I just walk into Kevin Haime's in the spring and ask for a lesson? Can I specifically ask for lessons that cater to the driver/fairway wood?

I'd like to think my mid/short iron game is good enough, compared to the tee shot and putting...which are both dreadful, so I would like to specifically work on keeping the drives straight, even if I have to sacrifice distance for now. Im a big boy, and still have my youth, the 1 drive out of 10 that doesnt go 50 yards to the right will soar over the 250 sign @ the driving range with ease.

Anyways, Im just kind of curious about the whole process of "not sucking"

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    fastest way is lowering number of putts and chipping it close. your goal should be 30 putts a round no more.

i admire your drive to get better, dont wait till this spring, start now!! putt on a carpet, chip to your cats. As for the driver, well, it is the hardest to hit because of length of the club and also the barely inclined face, so it pretty much amplifies your flaws. stick to your game plane off the tee, and practice the big dog. Find a good instructor and dont get overwhelmed by advice you hear left and right...let your instructor decide what is good. good luck!

Pitching Wedge Golftime is on a distinguished road
    From your brief description it sounds like consistency is your biggest problem. Find either a professional teacher or a friend who really understands the basics of the game and take some lessons. You are far better off getting started correctly with your swing. Start by understanding the ball flight laws. See the attached file for pictures. The basic summary is that if the ball starts in the direction that the club is moving and then curves based on the angle of the club face. So club moving left and angled left will produce a shot that starts left and then curves further left.
    Pay particular attention to your setup. You have complete control over it so make sure that it is correct. For beginners like yourself don't do anything to extremes. Start with a square stance and neutral grip then adjust from there.
    You stated that some of your drives go a long way but many don't. A good drill to ingrain timing and rhythm is to take a very short swing. Take the club back to waist high (3 o'clock) and swing through to waist high on the follow through (9 o'clock). You will be amazed at how far you can hit it with that kind of a swing. Then gradually increase the length of the swing.
    Video is good and I use it when I teach but don't over do it. It should be used just to confirm what you are doing during the swing.
    There are many indoor facilities to learn over the winter. Check out somne of the other posts for recommendations in the Ottawa area.
    I struggled for years trying to adapt my baseball swing to golf save yourself that trouble and get help.
    Good luck and enjoy the learning experience.
    Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Some real good advice so far, but based on my experience, get a good instructor to look at where you are. You cannot learn by yourself, period, if you want to be consistent and good. I work with Kevin Haime's group, OAC, in the east end but he has a set up as you probably know in the west end and this winter he is in the Bell Sens Sports Plex. Don't wait for the spring. Video is great and so is the launch monitor. Start reading Golf Digest, just to get you familiar with terms and ideas, but don't do anyting unless it is approved by your coach/instructor. If you do, you'll just end up more confused. It will cost you, but if you want results in golf there are only two things that will get you there, first is determination to practice what you are taught and second, and this is the expensive area, find a good teacher and follow his/her instructions. Dan Kilbank endorses another instructor in your area, Warren Grant who works out of the Thunderbird Sports Centre in Kanata, 613-836-2256, x221. Let us (the forum guys) know how it's going. I'm sure with your determination to get better we'll be getting great reports from you by mid summer.

Birdie golfin-buddy is on a distinguished road golfin-buddy's Avatar
    I have to agree with Powerdraw, start now. Winter time is a fantastic time to work o nthe fundamentals of the game. Start by joinimg a golf school for the last month or so to get you going on the right foot. Advice from friends on the other hand, I don't think you should do that. I don't know if I would take advice from a lawyer on how to do my plumbing. Golf professionals are everywhere and go through extensive training to learn how to teach the motion. I would strongly suggest seeing a certified CPGA professional. Ask to see his/her membership card. It's the only way to ensure that you don't have "Joe I-Don't-know-what-I'm-talking-about" advise you on things he doesn't understand. Check out the winter lessons thread for some places to visit.

If your in the east end, Pineview has a school that is really inexpensive. OAC is always a good alternative but very expensive, same with the sens-plex.

Good luck with your search.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar

Driver

I basically agree with everything said here. That being said here's my opinion.
    First off I am not a great golfer either. Usually shoot in the mid 80's to low 90's with a couple high 70's and low 80's in there every year. But for some reason I seem to understand how to pick out peoples swing flaws, just not my own.

I have a few friends like yourself, and me when I started, that can't hit the driver. But....Don't ever stop hitting it!! If you do you'll get scared of it. Go to the range and video your self from behind the tee facing the target. Look at where you are starting your down swing. Make sure it is from the inside. If it is not, back up your right foot about 6 inches. Not farther from the ball, farther behind your butt. Concentrate on pulling the club downwards on an inside path. After you've video'd yourself, compare it with the pro's. Watch golf on tv, but don't watch the ball. Watch the golfers' motions. It's hard to get used to but it works.

And like others have said, it's amazing how much putting inside all year round on the carpet can help. It won't help you with how to read the breaks and such but it will help with distance and feel. If this doesn't help no matter what you try, get a new, different style putter. That can make a big differnce also.

And last, try and play with golfers who are better than you whenever you can. Pay attention to what they do. Watch them like you would watch the pro's on tv. Once again, look at their swing, not their ball flight.

"I will par a course this year!" That's my goal. Yours should be to break 95, not 100! Always shoot higher!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Is club fitting important?
    Of course it is. It is just as important as getting a good instructor. Would you wear a size 9 shoes when you really need a 12?

What is so dang important about clubhead speed?
    Nothing important but the faster you can swing the stick the further you can hit the ball. It is also a starting point in the fitting process for shaft flex(there is more to it but for now let's leave it alone)

I bought a Nike Sasquatch last summer, but couldnt hit it, at all...
    Just was not fitted for you.It is not uncommon to find clubs with different lofts than what is marked on the club. Length is also a very important factor and usually drivers bought off the shelf are way too long especially for someone starting out.

Im a big boy, and still have my youth, the 1 drive out of 10 that doesnt go 50 yards to the right will soar over the 250 sign @ the driving range with ease.
    An offset driver might do the trick for you. Or use the 3 wood for a while and find the fairway. It really should not be a difficult club to hit as you choose your lie, tee height etc..and you can sweep the ball...

First off I am not a great golfer either. Usually shoot in the mid 80's to low 90's with a couple high 70's and low 80's in there every year.
    JS. That's not bad at all.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    i agree with the Cheif...

i love video analysis! doing something that someone tells you to do is one thing. but actually seeing yourself on video doing certain things is a real wake up call "is that what my swing really looks like?" lol

for video analysis and teaching pros. i highly recomend Greg Folly at Kevin Haimes, and Mark (once again) at GT

Thread Information