100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Golf QuÉbec Spring Open Qualifier (designated 2007)

GOLF QUÉBEC SPRING OPEN QUALIFIER (DESIGNATED 2007) Will be played at Talon this year. Interesting.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    That's one word for it. Guess the scores were too low last year. Talk about making it even more difficult for the Ottawa guys to get in. Apparently the setups in the Mtl area are considered easier than the ones the OVGA establishes here.

I’m trying out for the first time this year. I’m anxious and nervous but excited at the same time. I’m a bit-disappointed cause I was looking forward to playing it on my home turf this year. Oh well, it ups the challenge.

Mike

No one played under par last year. My guess is that the scores will be lower at Talon.

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    It was at HP last year I assume?

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    If I have one word of advice for Talon is try to land at the front of the green if you want to have any chance of keeping the ball on the green. Greens are still too firm in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Section TOne View Post
    It was at HP last year I assume?
    Two times in the last three years. The one year that it wasn’t is cause we lost 7 greens.

Mike

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Hi Mike, how do you get in to this tornament? Do you need a handicap, do they seperate you in flights, ect.. Any info would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Marc

You need to fill out the form through Quebec Golf as it is their tournament (run here by the OVGA). http://www.golfquebec.org/en/tournois.asp Once the entry forms are available you can sign up. Must be 8 index or lower normally with signed QGA card. Look to spend about $100 to play. Normally only about 3-5 guys from the Ottawa event qualify for Beaconsfield. You should have no problem getting in as there were ony about 50 guys last year I believe.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    That's one word for it. Guess the scores were too low last year. Talk about making it even more difficult for the Ottawa guys to get in. Apparently the setups in the Mtl area are considered easier than the ones the OVGA establishes here.
    Garth, as far as I know, the venue is irrelevant and spots for the Spring Open are determined based on the number of entries and the scores on that day. I've seen crappy days, due to the weather, where the lowest score was 76 and some guys qualified with a 78 and some other qualifying rounds where a 72 wasn't enough. Talon is a tough course, especially from the tips, but it is not that hard to score, except when it's really windy (but this will be the same for all competitors!). At Hautes Plaines, it's way easier to make doubles/having to rehit from the tee. Talon is challenging but you really have to be all over the place to make costly doubles. I expect that the scores will be pretty low and the leaderboard will be saturated with low rounds...as always, spots to the Spring Open will be earned hard...

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    Garth, as far as I know, the venue is irrelevant and spots for the Spring Open are determined based on the number of entries and the scores on that day. I've seen crappy days, due to the weather, where the lowest score was 76 and some guys qualified with a 78 and some other qualifying rounds where a 72 wasn't enough. Talon is a tough course, especially from the tips, but it is not that hard to score, except when it's really windy (but this will be the same for all competitors!). At Hautes Plaines, it's way easier to make doubles/having to rehit from the tee. Talon is challenging but you really have to be all over the place to make costly doubles. I expect that the scores will be pretty low and the leaderboard will be saturated with low rounds...as always, spots to the Spring Open will be earned hard...
    Couldn't agree more with the Talon/HP assessment. I'm just saying that based on conversations I have had with guys who play Dorval etc that in general the OVGA setups can be more difficult than the QGA ones.

The setup is the same for everybody at each venue. Quite frankly, if I had to qualify, I would look carefully at each venue and would find the one that would fit my game the most. Having to pay $100 to play these qualifying rounds, I wouldn't mind driving a bit to play a venue that fits my eyes and my game. Also, this is not scientific, but it seems to me that it's harder to qualify in Ottawa because of the presence of very good competitors. Some of the guys that are trying to qualify are past OVGA events winners or guys that are just out of the provincial ladder that provides an exemption to the Spring Open. Good luck to those who are attempting to qualify...practice...practice...practice...

Honestly, I don’t think I have the game to qualify for the Tunis. I have an index of 4 in my prime and springtime is not my best scoring period. I have been willing to tryout for the past three years and always postpone for no good reason. Although I usually play my best golf under pressure and this tourney might be the pressure I need. This year I said the hell with it. I just want to get that first tourney out of the way.

I’m starting to practice this weekend.

Mike

Mike, this is to qualify to the Spring Open (Beaconsfield), not the Tunis. The Tunis Qualifier will be played later in the summer...

Yes but If you finish with an index lower then the minimum required, you get to qualify for the Tunis. There are two goals during qualifiers, first is to get in the Spring Open and second is to get yourself a low competition index so that you give yourself a chance to qualify for the Tunis.

To get in the Tunis you need to have at least two competitions round with an index low enough to qualify. I think last years index to qualify was 2.9 if I’m not mistaken.

wahz
    Mberuba is right; differential doesn't matter for the spring open tournament. But you can use the qualifier score towards your differential for the 'majors' - Tunis, Kent and Quebec Am. I think there is usually a min. of 4-5 spots from each site, and then a few others make up the waiting list. This number might have changed though, since there are quite a few more qualifying sites than in years past.

In terms of mtl vs. ottawa, you guys are right...sort of It's not that Montreal courses are set up easier, but they tend to rate their courses higher than OVGA would. Same sh*t, different pile. IMO, that's why you saw such a high rating for OVGA's C&D's a few years back when the first two rounds were at Greensmere. OVGA's way of making it up to the field. If I recall, the rating was over par for that tournament, yet the cut (top 24 or 36) was only a few strokes over par.

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Two times in the last three years. The one year that it wasn’t is cause we lost 7 greens.

Mike
    Er, lost 7 greens? Due to winter kill or something? Whoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Section TOne View Post
    Er, lost 7 greens? Due to winter kill or something? Whoa.
    Yep. Lost 7 greens in 2005. It was brutal. It cost something like $40,000. Temp greens all over the place. You can imagine what it looked like since there are not a lot of flat spots on that course….

Par stinger is on a distinguished road
    Scores will be similar to previous years at HP. Good players scores will be similar at HP or at Talon. As long as you're in the fairway,HP is easier to score than Talon imop.

Quote Originally Posted by stinger View Post
    Scores will be similar to previous years at HP. Good players scores will be similar at HP or at Talon. As long as you're in the fairway,HP is easier to score than Talon imop.
    I dunno, from the looks of things HP is pretty tight. My old home club was similar to HP in that errant shots would be punished severely. That takes a lot of the "bomb and gouge" players out of the loop. Our inter-club events were another indicator of that, where we DESTROYED the competition once we were back on home soil. (we beat them on their own course, but not as handily)

Given the more open layout of Talon, i'd expect scores to be lower than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by stinger View Post

I don’t think so. You have a certain percentile of shots that you miss in a round. At HP, that miss shot will cost you big. At Talon, you will be unlucky to be penalised as bad as HP unless you try the low percentile shot.

If you are in the fairways all the time, you’re a pro and to course is difficult..

At the past two tournaments at HP only one player played under par. Last year, none.

I don’t think so. You have a certain percentile of shots that you miss in a round. At HP, that miss shot will cost you big. At Talon, you will be unlucky to be penalised as bad as HP unless you try the low percentile shot.

If you are in the fairways all the time, you’re a pro and to course is difficult..

At the past two tournaments at HP only one player played under par. Last year, none.

Agreed. I expect the winning score to be almost the same but the scores will be tighter IMO since an error at Talon doesn't cost you an automatic double.

Looks like it's the Marshes and not Talon.

Oh man!!!! They just changed it. Looks like I’m going to pass for this year. I have never played the Marshes and I don’t think I’m going to pay $100 for an early spring practice round. Bummer!!!!

I guess I’ll try my chances in the Ottawa citizen amateur.

Mike

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Oh man!!!! They just changed it. Looks like I’m going to pass for this year. I have never played the Marshes and I don’t think I’m going to pay $100 for an early spring practice round. Bummer!!!!

I guess I’ll try my chances in the Ottawa citizen amateur.

Mike
    .....Don't give up so easily, I'm sure that there are enough people that have played the Marshes and can give you tips on how to play each hole. If you decide to play I will map out the course for you and tell you how to play each hole according to distances and directions. Just stick to the game plan as close as possible. I would love to help you with your game and who knows????

I was not giving up, I was just changing venues.

That would be interesting. I’ll talk to a couple of friends that have connections to see if can get a deal on a round. It’s just that I don’t feel confident in playing my first tournament on a course I have never seen. It’s all in the preparation……

Mike, I can assure you that Marshes is easier than Talon. I always play from the tips (a challenge at 7000yds+!!!) and normally score pretty low...If my game is on early, I might give it a try.

The key is really to survive to #2...and #18 if you play that hole from 480-500 yards (par 4). Otherwise, pretty straightforward golf IMO and no need to have played this course earlier to play well.

Thanks for the info Steph.

Mike

Both courses are fairly similar, but I do believe that the marshes can play tougher of the both because of crazier pin placements and long carries. If you do decide to play, stick to your strategy. Don't hesitate to ask.

Thread Information