CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Par il-terrifico is on a distinguished road

Golf Digest hot List - Buzz factor 15%

Can you believe they base 15% of the club ratings on Buzz Factor (translation: advertising in our mag, or clients we hope to convince to spend bucks with us)?

30% for performance, 10% for value, meaning less than half the total rating is on the aspects that mean the most to most players.

This really is a sham when you think about it. They should be ashamed.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    This drives me nuts, I couldn't believe the fw section in particular. The Bobby Jones fw was the top ranked fw in performance/playability and in personal preference of the reviewers, yet the Cally BB wins editor's choice??? The BB gets a much higher value rating than the Bobby Jones. Must be a lot cheaper if it's better value than a better performing club, right? Nope, they both cost $200. But yes, somehow the advertising $$ spent by Callaway at GD might be just a bit bigger than those spent by Bobby Jones.

This is the least informative issue Golf Digest puts out every year, and that's saying a lot. It's a total sham.

Putter hypermoo is on a distinguished road

Thumbs down Behind Golfdigest

I agree that 15% on buzz factor is ridiculous. Performance should be at least 50% on the scale factor. Also, I am not biased towards any brands but Titleist 905R performed a lot better than some of the drivers in the hotlist yet it did not appear anywhere. Last year Cleveland Wedges won the Editor's Choice and yet it was overturned by Titleist this year. I emailed Golf Digest and they replied that it was due to the buzz factor they received the spot this year.

From a business point of view Golfdigest might be partnering up with some of the Editor's Choice picks to share certain profit on sales or other unknown deals at the upper management.

As for the division of the clubs, they should split game improvement, super game improvement and players clubs for all drivers, woods, hybrids etc.

Golf Magazine gives reviews too every month so I always try to compare these 2 magazines before I try out the clubs.

Anyway, something is very fishy about this Golf Digest Editor's Choice...

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    Instead of buzz they should simply say advertising budget. A couple of years ago I read in one of the magazines that 10-15 percent of what you and I pay for a club is to cover advertising costs. I find Golf Magazine's club review more accurate and useful.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I am not biased towards any brands but Titleist 905R performed a lot better than some of the drivers in the hotlist yet it did not appear anywhere
    as far as I know, Titleist does not provide any golf magazines w/ demos etc for these types of reviews / listings, and as a result never appear on them.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. ..
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams View Post
    as far as I know, Titleist does not provide any golf magazines w/ demos etc for these types of reviews / listings, and as a result never appear on them.

I do believe you are correct Nat. And I think I read somewhere it has to do with what has already been said here. They tend to think the better results are swayed towards the companies that advertise more in their magazine. Don't take it as gospel, I read it on another forum.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Titleist/Cobra refused to allow Golf Magazine review their clubs last year. Golf Digest had plenty of Titleist clubs and balls on their hot list this year, just not the 905R.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    The "Hotlist" issue is a great read but demoing is obviously the key when this "buzz factor" is factored in to the formula.

Putter hypermoo is on a distinguished road

Exclamation Titleist Participation

Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams View Post

Nat Williams. In the hotlist Titlieist's fairway woods, hybrids, irons, wedges (editor's choice) and balls were all featured in the magazine. If you look at Golf Magazine, Titleist appears there too... Their hybrid was recently selected as Golf Choice... So I don't know about them not participating... But seriously... How could 905R be not listed in the list? Bazooka is better than 905R? I tried a lot of the clubs in that list but some of them were not worth to be in the list... Just a personal opinion...

Thread Information