CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    8 Iron MrMulligan is on a distinguished road

ClubLink to buy Rivermead too?

I have heard a rumour that Clublink has put a bid in on the Rivermead Golf Club in Alymer. Supposedly there was a meeting called to discuss the proposal. Has anyone else heard this?

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    ugh...here we go again

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I am pretending this thread does not exist.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    I really doubt as this clearly wouldn't fit in CL's philosophy. Although Rivermead has problem attracting young members ($$$$$...$$$$$...$$$$$), they are nowhere close of being in bad financial situation and already have plenty of reciprocal agreements with great golf courses. I just can't see the value-added for them in joining CL...

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    I am pretending this thread does not exist.
    ditto...

8 Iron MrMulligan is on a distinguished road
    I have heard this rumour from someone who's father has been a member there for quite some time and is on the board at Rivermead. Not to start more rumours but this alone leads me to believe that the rumour is true. What a phenomenal purchase that would be.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    First time I hear this one... Will only believe once it happens...

On the other hand, I know several members there - friends of the family. I'll ask and let you know what I learn.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Can't we all pretend we are normal hard working stiffs or retired ones that dont care to belong to the "elite" upper class of the golfing world----I am tired of hearing about Clublink! This should cause a rucus!
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Can't we all pretend we are normal hard working stiffs or retired ones that dont care to belong to the "elite" upper class of the golfing world----I am tired of hearing about Clublink! This should cause a rucus!
    Clublink is a big player in Ottawa with 3 clubs and 4 courses. They have over 1500 members in the Ottawa area. I think you will continue to hear about Clublink.

And I am a normal working stiff. Not the "Upper Elite" thank you very much.

MrMulligan heard something from a board member at Rivermead and wondered if anyone else had also. It's a valid question.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Thumbs down Enuf

I'm with you bm ... but(t) on the other hand, if this is the worst thing some folks (other than U and I) have to worry about then they are very lucky

OK, tell me this. If there is anything to this rumour, why does the public golfer care about CL buying a private course anyways? Does CL's purchases restrict your ability to find an open tee time on a good golf course? Why are you so bitter about the sale of a golf course?
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I was wondering the same thing. I would have thought nobody would care if a private course is sold. The members will be welcomed by the new maqnagement and the public would be totally unaffected. The Rivermead members may even like the idea sice they would get access to other courses. Why would the public players care at all?

I'd rather see that than to lose a public course, but this one really does not seem likely.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    For everyone else there is RM
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Let them buy Rivermead and leave EC alone
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark View Post
    Let them buy Rivermead and leave EC alone
    Now there is the opposite side of the coin. As a Clublink member, I want the most options that I can get. That is the reason I bought my membership, to have the option of reciprocal play at a lot of courses. If i didn't care about that, I would have a membership at a single course where I would play all of the time. So in reality, I would like Clublink to but EC, Rivermead, Stonebridge, Rideauview, Camelot, etc. I can appreciate that there are people who don't share that view, that may play these courses once or twice per year, and I can emphisize with their angst.
    Colby

Putter Towelboy is on a distinguished road
    I'm new to the board and to Clublink and I have to admit it is the best option for me. Now that Eagle Creek is a cornerpiece of their Ottawa contingent of golf courses it made the decision to join a no-brainer. I look forward to seeing what other courses they are going to buy too. Hopefully at least one of the rumours about Stonebridge, Rivermead, or anything else come true...

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    Now there is the opposite side of the coin. As a Clublink member, I want the most options that I can get. That is the reason I bought my membership, to have the option of reciprocal play at a lot of courses. If i didn't care about that, I would have a membership at a single course where I would play all of the time. So in reality, I would like Clublink to but EC, Rivermead, Stonebridge, Rideauview, Camelot, etc. I can appreciate that there are people who don't share that view, that may play these courses once or twice per year, and I can emphisize with their angst.
    Well said.

OK boys, I think we have threadjacked this one enough. If anyone has some information around Rivermead and Clublink, then let's hear it. If we want to debate the value of Clublink, then let's start another thread.
    Colby

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Talk to a good buddy of mine who is a member at Rivermead and no meeting has been called. We agreed that there wouldn't be any value-added for Rivermead to join CL. He also mentioned that they still have a waiting list and that the board of members already consented to some improvements to the clubhouse...don't think that they have any financial issues that would make them approaching CL...they also have great reciprocal agreements with other private courses (Rosemère, Summerlea, Vallée-du-Richelieu, Cataracqui and growing...)

Cool, that would make sense. Thanks.
    Colby

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I think someone was pulling our chain
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar
    MY NEIGHBOUR IS A MEMBER AS WELL. hE PRETTY MUCH WAS WORD OFR WORD ON THis. he also has a friend who sits on their "board" (not sure how they are set up, but his is what he said. and he has heard nothign at all about CL and RM.

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    Talk to a good buddy of mine who is a member at Rivermead and no meeting has been called. We agreed that there wouldn't be any value-added for Rivermead to join CL. He also mentioned that they still have a waiting list and that the board of members already consented to some improvements to the clubhouse...don't think that they have any financial issues that would make them approaching CL...they also have great reciprocal agreements with other private courses (Rosemère, Summerlea, Vallée-du-Richelieu, Cataracqui and growing...)

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I would be really surprised if they were interested in Rivermead ... Rivermead is often noted as being one of the 'richest' courses in the eastern ontario/west quebec area. There is no sign of financial trouble. I'd be surprised if Clublink could purchase Rivermead and expect an increase it's profits, or membership levels ... it doesn't fit their buying style (courses in trouble @ a good rate).

Also, I would imagine that with their current Ottawa area courses, they would be trying harder to get a hold of a southern course so that they can attract people from a larger geographical area...South of ottawa is growing rapidly, and attracting some expensive housing developments (we have approx. 6000 rcmp moving into southern ottawa in the near future! and that's just to name 1 group ... even all of the new development on Prince Of Wales would be better served by a southern course). Not to start any rumours as this is purely speculation, but wouldn't waiting for Monarch to finish building & pick up Stonebridge, or aggressivly persuing RideauView now make more sense than getting Rivermead? Either of those courses would cater to the growing south end of Ottawa and attract a lot more new customers...Even Carleton Golf & Yatch would be a decent location for southern residents.

If there is a meeting planned, perhaps it is the tell everyone that Clublink made an offer that they have no intention of accepting...A meeting to stop the rumours?

But then again, who knows!

I personally hope they don't buy Rivermead, or anything else this year as I plan on joining clublink next season and don't need them aquiring any more high end local courses to drive up the initiation fees of all the courses!
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams View Post
    I personally hope they don't buy Rivermead, or anything else this year as I plan on joining clublink next season and don't need them aquiring any more high end local courses to drive up the initiation fees of all the courses!
    If I was you, i'd do everything in my power to get out of your current membership and into Clublink while the getting is good. You can't beat $4750.00 over 10 years interest free at HP to get you in the door.

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    Joining now while it's cheap may prove to be a good investment.

I'll probably end up joining this year in addition to my current membership ... that way I can lock in a lower initiation ... probably save some $$ in the long run.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Nat: what course would you join? If you need a referral, I can help you with that.

I'd probably join Haute Plaine

Playing Winter Rules RBAKER is on a distinguished road RBAKER's Avatar
    Clublink will continue to expand in "Ottawa" its a better market then Montreal for private memberships. Also I don't find Ottawa has much in the way of Golf Courses to begin with so Clublink would be a winner for the core golfer. I couldn't figure out why anyone wouldn't have joined GREYHAWK, or HP. Now EC, it will fill up quick.

Toronto, is saturated. Every time a club opens here it fills in from other clubs in the system.
    I'm a member of Wyndance, it will be comprised of One Half - Cherry Downs the other Half Diamondback, with a few floaters from other clubs such as myself.
    Then there will be new members.
    Ottawa still needs another one in the East End somewhere, if there is one.
    All I remember from Ottawa is crap like ..... or that other one by the .....
    Then you have a few snooty private clubs. Clublink would fit well. They should build a brand new one in Ottawa. Maybe they will.
    Last edited by Nat Williams; 02-15-2007 at 11:14 PM. Reason: course bashing - just took names out
    Membership- GlenCairn Golf Club

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RBAKER View Post
    Clublink will continue to expand in "Ottawa" its a better market then Montreal for private memberships. Also I don't find Ottawa has much in the way of Golf Courses to begin with so Clublink would be a winner for the core golfer. I couldn't figure out why anyone wouldn't have joined GREYHAWK, or HP. Now EC, it will fill up quick.

Toronto, is saturated. Every time a club opens here it fills in from other clubs in the system.
    I'm a member of Wyndance, it will be comprised of One Half - Cherry Downs the other Half Diamondback, with a few floaters from other clubs such as myself.
    Then there will be new members.
    Ottawa still needs another one in the East End somewhere, if there is one.
    All I remember from Ottawa is crap like ..... or that other one by the .....
    Then you have a few snooty private clubs. Clublink would fit well. They should build a brand new one in Ottawa. Maybe they will.
    Not quite sure what you're getting at, but the Golf course market in Ottawa is, if anything, oversaturated. There is an absurd number of courses, of all different qualities, and they seem to keep popping up. Although it is obviously a shame to lose a course like Eagle Creek, there is no shortage of other courses out there. Also, Reservation Masters is a pretty good system, as it doesn't limit you to one course (but there is miniscule financial commitment). I don't think there are many places that can boast as many tee times per capita as Ottawa can (I would love to find a stat on that). It was actually a real shock to the system when I came out to Victoria, thinking it was this year round golfing heaven, and realized that there are only really 5 public and 5 private courses within decent driving distance. In that sense, Ottawa really is a golfer's paradise.
    Last edited by Nat Williams; 02-15-2007 at 11:14 PM. Reason: quoted course bashing edited

Thread Information