CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: simplicity

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar

simplicity

"The majority of club players don’t have the talent to get wrapped up in technique, and yet that’s exactly what happens. They read about all these different theories and lose their own instinct to hit a golf ball...

There is no excuse for a poor grip; go and see your PGA professional and take care of what is probably the most important fundamental in golf...

No matter what the individual nuances in your own swing, I guarantee that having a better awareness of a correctly aligned set-up will make you a better player" Jim Furyk

Shagging Balls Gapwedge is on a distinguished road Gapwedge's Avatar
    I concur. One of the best lessons I received was from Marc Peterson at the OAC:

"For the next 3 days, swing the ball and think of anything but mechanics. Do the normal 'static' checks on your setup, then forget about everything else and just swing".

When I get mixed about tempo, timing, feel, etc - I just go back to this.
    ________
    TOYOTA COROLLA E120 HISTORY
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:25 AM.

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    personnaly, and i think i will pay for this statement, is that it sounds too much like a blind struggle...i dont hit with my setup do i? does it help? yes. does a correct grip FOR ME help? yes...but golf is not static, learn the correct motions through the 3 stages (address top and finish) and we are on a skyrocket to better golf in me book. i think the correct 'technique' motions are more important than the correct positions. just my 2 cents worth about...2 cents canadian...lol.

"The best judge of a golf swing is the ball flight" - Ben Hogan.
    ________
    Herbalaire

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar

Ben was a genius, he was often wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Gapwedge View Post
    "The best judge of a golf swing is the ball flight" - Ben Hogan.
    many golfers spend too much time on the range, and ruin their swings by manipulating them until the get the ball flight they want.

Is this not the point you're trying to make with this thread - making swing compensations for a poor setup.

What is crucial is getting the correct motion through the impact zone. How you get there (the swing) is a matter of personal preference. The better your setup - the better your chances of getting impact correct.

For me, if my ball flight is going haywire, I tend to first look at grip and ball position. I tend not to mess with the swing.

Too many posts from me on this thread already.
    ________
    GREEN CRACK

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    What is crucial is getting the correct motion through the impact zone. How you get there (the swing) is a matter of personal preference. The better your setup - the better your chances of getting impact correct.
    No doubt that a good setup is essential. However, "the correct motion through the impact zone" is incidental to what preceeded it. Placing the club in a good position at the top, makes it easier to start down "under" the back swing plane, resulting in better impact. It does matter how you swing, both back and down, and good impact is an effect, not a cause.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Placing the club in a good position at the top, makes it easier to start down "under" the back swing plane, resulting in better impact.
    The challenge is that the definition of a 'good position' is unique to every player. Lefty and Sergio are completely different at the top - yet both are rather similar through the impact zone.

Each swing is as different as the person hanging on to the grip. While it is easy to find a pro that will show you the standard textbook postions you should emulate at each "microsecond" in the swing, a worthwhile pro will quickly recognize those aspects that make your swing unique and will work within this framework.
    ________
    Ford Modular Engine History
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:26 AM.

Birdie golfin-buddy is on a distinguished road golfin-buddy's Avatar
    The challenge is that the definition of a 'good position' is unique to every player. Lefty and Sergio are completely different at the top - yet both are rather similar through the impact zone.
    Your right there. they do have different positions at the top and are fairly similar at impact. Most tour pros are. But here's the difference: lefty is alot taller then Sergio. His swing plane is very different. a good position at the top means having your hands set at the ideal position to proceed down to impact. If Sergio had his hands in Phil's position, he would probably shank the ball 9 out of 10 times.

[/quote]Each swing is as different as the person hanging on to the grip. While it is easy to find a pro that will show you the standard textbook postions you should emulate at each "microsecond" in the swing, a worthwhile pro will quickly recognize those aspects that make your swing unique and will work within this framework.[/quote]

I agree that everyone is different. but fundamentals are fundamentals. If I see someone trying to swing Furyk like, I'll try to change it for one reason. HE's NOT FURYK! Furyk has a lot of talent and incredible flexibility in his hips to be able go even get to the ball. Notice how his hips can clear out of the way when he swings.

A good instructor is someone who can apply the "standard textbook postions" to what already exists. I understand what you mean by "unique" but take a look at 90 percent of the Tour pros out there. When it comes to plane and "standard textbook postions", they all hit those spots basically dead on.

I agree 100% with BC MIST. You simply cannot have good impact position without being in the proper positions.

my 2 cents anyways.

Nine out of ten problems with the swing of the average golfer begin with the grip and stance. - Harvey Penick
    ________
    FORD TAURUS SHO
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:26 AM.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Nine out of ten problems with the swing of the average golfer begin with the grip and stance. - Harvey Penick
    And the other 8 out of 10 are caused by what one thinks about while swinging on the course. - Yogi Berra

"Nine out of ten problems with the swing of the average golfer begin with the grip and stance" - Harvey Penick

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    And the other 8 out of 10 are caused by what one thinks about while swinging on the course. - Yogi Berra
    Finally, we agree. 17 out of 10 golfers should not be thinking about their swing.
    ________
    M5 (E28)
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:27 AM.

Thread Information