CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar

Is it worth the price?

TaylorMade r7 460 TP Driver ... the thing is listed @ 750$ + tax. I'd love to give one a few swings and see what it's all about, but I'm afraid I might like it and feel the need to buy it.

Any thoughts on the high priced Taylor Made drivers, are YOU seeing a difference in performance that isn't available in 'cheaper' OEM's?
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Probably be cheaper for you to just start playing right handed and get used one off the "Ho' Board" here.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Probably be cheaper for you to just start playing right handed and get used one off the "Ho' Board" here.
    Everyday I pray that today will be the day Geoff Johnston starts playing left handed.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    You can get them a lot cheaper on ebay one other sites though.. I have been looking around. Golfwrx.com seems to have them frequently..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams View Post
    Everyday I pray that today will be the day Geoff Johnston starts playing left handed.
    Me too! I also ask for the Saint, but then I'm greedy.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I have the R7 TP 3 wood and this thing is a rocket. It is heads and tails better than my v-steel. I can't compare it to the reg R7 since I haven't hit it. In general, you also get a better shaft with the TP's as well. I don't think they warrant a $750 price tag, but there have been a number for sale on here for under $400. The $750 includes the TP headcover (sells for around $50) and the weight kit (sells for around $100).

The 3 wood I bought for $200 used lists for $499 + tax at GT. I also bought a TP rescue dual for about $190 all in off ebay (brand new) where they retail for over $400 at GT.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar

Why not a custom SMT?

TaylorMade r7 460 TP Driver ... the thing is listed @ 750$ + tax. I'd love to give one a few swings and see what it's all about, but I'm afraid I might like it and feel the need to buy it.

Any thoughts on the high priced Taylor Made drivers, are YOU seeing a difference in performance that isn't available in 'cheaper' OEM's?
    You could get the best SMT driver head, a very high quality graphite shaft, and assembly by a GCA clubmaker to your custom specifications, all for under $300.00 CDN.

I think the SMT would hit the ball better than anything TaylorMade has to offer.

2 Iron SkinDawg is on a distinguished road

Smt

Are you being serious about a 300$ SMT would be better than an r7 tp 460 with a reax Tp shaft?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinDawg View Post
    Are you being serious about a 300$ SMT would be better than an r7 tp 460 with a reax Tp shaft?

I'd believe it. SMTs are great heads. Put a great shaft fitted for you in one and start launching bombs.

In my opinion, of all the OEM drivers I've hit (other than the R5TP I had), I got my worst performances out of TM drivers. I've never been a fan. Until I get a chance to try my Bstones on the course I'd have to rate Cleveland as the best performing drivers for me, with Golfworks second and Titleist third.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

5 Iron breaks80 is on a distinguished road breaks80's Avatar
    For my slower swing speed, TM drivers with the RE-AX shafts are the best I've hit. Helps me keep up with the bombers(well, almost keep up). There's gotta be a reason TM drivers are #1 on tour. Prices have come way down as well.

Quote Originally Posted by breaks80 View Post
    For my slower swing speed, TM drivers with the RE-AX shafts are the best I've hit. Helps me keep up with the bombers(well, almost keep up). There's gotta be a reason TM drivers are #1 on tour. Prices have come way down as well.
    They pay the most to play?????
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

5 Iron breaks80 is on a distinguished road breaks80's Avatar
    Yeah, they pay Sergio and the boys pretty well. Still, love their drivers though.
    Wonder if they'd pay me (not!)

wahz
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    They pay the most to play?????
    I love how this always comes up. But no one ever seems to mention that Callaway paid off Mickelson's $10 million gambling debts in order to have him on staff. Point is, yes TM pays players...along with almost every other major manufacturer. But if SMT was as good as you say it is, why aren't they #1 on tour? I doubt they are even top 10 (but don't quote me on that). SMT might not pay players (or be able to afford to, for that matter), but neither did sonartec yet they had a huge presence among tour players. Player's were playing them for free; so why aren't people playing SMT for free? If it works, people will use it. I don't have anything against SMT or any other component company for that matter, but I never understand how people attribute it all to money. You like SMT, I like TM...that's allowed, right?

But anyways, back to the topic. TM's TP line interest me because they offer what I'm looking for...good shafts, designs that suit the better player, including square face angles. To me, Callaway's 'tour' models do not look square. With the r7 line, you have to ask yourself whether or not you would use the extra weights. If you ordered the TP kit seperately, it's about $200. So automatically, you are going to pay more for r7 tp drivers because the kit is included. I tend to play around with shafts, which may require playing with weights...so to me, it's worth it. I have tried alot of other product in my golfing time, but for me, it seems to come back to TM...some might agree, some might like other companies...that's allowed right?

Quote Originally Posted by wahz View Post
    I love how this always comes up. But no one ever seems to mention that Callaway paid off Mickelson's $10 million gambling debts in order to have him on staff. Point is, yes TM pays players...along with almost every other major manufacturer. But if SMT was as good as you say it is, why aren't they #1 on tour? I doubt they are even top 10 (but don't quote me on that). SMT might not pay players (or be able to afford to, for that matter), but neither did sonartec yet they had a huge presence among tour players. Player's were playing them for free; so why aren't people playing SMT for free? If it works, people will use it. I don't have anything against SMT or any other component company for that matter, but I never understand how people attribute it all to money. You like SMT, I like TM...that's allowed, right?

But anyways, back to the topic. TM's TP line interest me because they offer what I'm looking for...good shafts, designs that suit the better player, including square face angles. To me, Callaway's 'tour' models do not look square. With the r7 line, you have to ask yourself whether or not you would use the extra weights. If you ordered the TP kit seperately, it's about $200. So automatically, you are going to pay more for r7 tp drivers because the kit is included. I tend to play around with shafts, which may require playing with weights...so to me, it's worth it. I have tried alot of other product in my golfing time, but for me, it seems to come back to TM...some might agree, some might like other companies...that's allowed right?

No need to get defensive. And I never said no one else pays. I just said TM might pay the most. And I'd bet that most guys that sign on with TM don't have a clause in their contract that says they can play whatever they want like Tiger apparently does.

And with today's engineering I find the difference between brands is minimal. So why play something for free, when you can get paid to play something that is just as/almost as good.

And of course you are allowed to like TM and of course I don't have to.

Need a Caddy rgk5 is on a distinguished road rgk5's Avatar
    "But no one ever seems to mention that Callaway paid off Mickelson's $10 million gambling debts in order to have him on staff."

And I assume that you acquired this information from a source of unimpeachable integrity?

wahz
    Don't worry, no one is getting defensive. If I misinterpreted your post, I apologize. My point was that it doesn't always come down to money, as some may have suggested. Aren't these forums for people to discuss and debate golf-related topics?

I am curious though, do you really think all of the clubs out are "similar"? If this was the case, then I don't know why sonartec was so popular.

Quote Originally Posted by rgk5 View Post
    "But no one ever seems to mention that Callaway paid off Mickelson's $10 million gambling debts in order to have him on staff."

And I assume that you acquired this information from a source of unimpeachable integrity?
    If I say yes, would you believe me?

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    I am curious though, do you really think all of the clubs out are "similar"? If this was the case, then I don't know why sonartec was so popular
    agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    And with today's engineering I find the difference between brands is minimal .
    and if they were all the same why is your itrader rating over 100

sorry brother, but it had to be said oh man i crack myself up

I am curious though, do you really think all of the clubs out are "similar"? If this was the case, then I don't know why sonartec was so popular.
    Like you said, some work better for others. Perhaps Sonartecs are preferred by pros. They are a quality club. I could see pros really liking the Sonartecs.

To play devil's advocate, how come you don't see TM, Cally, Titleist, Cleveland products at the long drive events? You see Alpha, SMT, Bang, Cobra and others. Different performance for different folks. That's why I said I'd put a SMT driver up against any driver out there. With the right shaft it will be just as long as accurate as any TM, Cally or Cleveland offering out there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying TM produces inferior products. I just believe there is better performing products out there, for my liking and my money.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhh7 View Post
    You could get the best SMT driver head, a very high quality graphite shaft, and assembly by a GCA clubmaker to your custom specifications, all for under $300.00 CDN.

I think the SMT would hit the ball better than anything TaylorMade has to offer.
    i am really and truly not trying to degrade anything said, but i am just commenting.

woh... those are some strong thoughts... im not taking sides here...

i think that claim that anything SMT would hit the ball better than anything taylormade. might as well just say. SMT drivers hit the ball better than anything currently used on the PGA Tour...

everyone has their own version of what hits the ball better.

for Wahz being a sctrach golfer, he knows that for his game a state of the art TP driver is wicked awesome and gives him the best results....

for a long drive person a Bang, SMT etc... is wicked awesome and gives them the best results

for the average golfer, 25+ handicaper, the difference between an SMT driver and a Taylormade driver is minimal. they will equally be wicked awesome.

anyways you can beat this to death as previously done in other threads...

but for now lets keep this thread on track

answer to the question is it worth it... Nat, for you it is! You have an awesome game, i would give it a shot, compare it to your K

wahz
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    anyways you can beat this to death as previously done in other threads...

but for now lets keep this thread on track
    Couldn't agree more Jarred, which I tried to do in my original post. For now Geoff, we can agree to disagree

Nat, I tried to send you a PM about an r7 460 tp but your inbox is full.

Couldn't agree more Jarred, which I tried to do in my original post. For now Geoff, we can agree to disagree

Isn't having an opinion a great thing? You get to see other people's sides of things.

Cleared out the pm box ... was overloaded with them today.

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar

Gambling debts

sorry to be
    I believe the story is that Mr. Callaway paid John Daly's gambling debts
    Word is Mickelson has not gambled (heavily)since the birth of his first child
    Sources:Interview Golf Magazine with Phil and an 3rd party interview on the GC with a fellow golfer (can't remember who)

Need a Caddy rgk5 is on a distinguished road rgk5's Avatar
    Sure, if the source is recognizable and as stated.

wahz
    Quote Originally Posted by rgk5 View Post
    Sure, if the source is recognizable and as stated.
    You could find the most "reputable" source you want, and this story would still be a rumour. There is no way Callaway or Phil's party would ever admit to this. But it's not as if I made it up. Do a search for it, and you will find that several people know of this "rumour"...including SI.

but given Phil's past, would you automatically dismiss it?

Regardless, this is something that one could never prove, so...

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I've heard from a few CPGA Pro's, that more people are using the R7 425 TP on Tour and through the amateur tournaments over the R7 460 TP. I'm not sure if this a preference thing or what, but I tried the two of them with the exact same shaft and weight setup, and couldn't hit the 460 TP if my life depended on it. The 425 had a better shot dispersion and feel. I was spraying the 460 all over the place. This was on an outdoor range btw.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Isn't that TM commercial with the army of bags one of the best commercials ever? And I love how Mike made the front row baby.
    Nat, the R7 425 is the best driver I ever hit, and remember I tried a bunch last spring in my flawed swing challenge. Nice easy swing, the thing goes 250 (I'm not as young and flexible as I used to be).
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar

Hi Nat

Don't laugh too hard but I am still buying Duane [a leftie like u] Callaway Ti 454's to reshaft
    and play with .335 tip diameter. Pennies on the dollar compared to the new TM TP stuff
    Kind regards, Harry

Birdie Weirfan is on a distinguished road
    why pay that much now when it will be 1/2 or less that price in the fall.

As for the SMT versus TM argument......both are quality heads...all the high end component heads and the OEM have similar quality, supposed to have the same COR

bottom line it is all about money and marketing.

Look up the Darrel survey and see what these guys do to get clubs in the bag...rookies used to be and likely still do get paid huge dough just to carry a club, don't even have to use it

Tour rookies can get up to $500 000 - 1 million for playing a driver....that is huge when they will only make a pittence...whay wouldn't they?

The big boys get millions in contracts , way more than they would make on the course...that is why most of them play what they play.....financial security

The SMT 455 has won the most long drive events ever, and continues to win all over the world...Taylor Made as far as I know has never won a LD event.

I have the luxury of being able to try all the driver heda OEM and component.....

I play the SMT 455....most definitely and unequivocally the longest head ever produced...I do have a few other SMT heads, a Nak 460 , some Tour Swing heads ( also LD heads) also few OEM that made the grade...R510 tp and J33R460...IMO the two best OEM heads produced in the last many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirfan View Post
    why pay that much now when it will be 1/2 or less that price in the fall.

As for the SMT versus TM argument......both are quality heads...all the high end component heads and the OEM have similar quality, supposed to have the same COR

bottom line it is all about money and marketing.

Look up the Darrel survey and see what these guys do to get clubs in the bag...rookies used to be and likely still do get paid huge dough just to carry a club, don't even have to use it

Tour rookies can get up to $500 000 - 1 million for playing a driver....that is huge when they will only make a pittence...whay wouldn't they?

The big boys get millions in contracts , way more than they would make on the course...that is why most of them play what they play.....financial security

The SMT 455 has won the most long drive events ever, and continues to win all over the world...Taylor Made as far as I know has never won a LD event.

I have the luxury of being able to try all the driver heda OEM and component.....

I play the SMT 455....most definitely and unequivocally the longest head ever produced...I do have a few other SMT heads, a Nak 460 , some Tour Swing heads ( also LD heads) also few OEM that made the grade...R510 tp and J33R460...IMO the two best OEM heads produced in the last many years.

Woohoo! I have one of those, and I have to agree, one of the best heads I've ever used.

Thread Information