100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

U.S. Women's Open changes to three-hole playoff from 18-hole one

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - The U.S. Women's Open will use a three-hole playoff format starting this year, leaving the U.S. Open as the only major championship with an 18-hole playoff.

More...

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    That really is unfortunate. I love an 18 hole shootout, but the finalists are never amateurs (don't mention Michelle what's her name - she hasn't won a thing since she had her first set of braces installed). They're professionals who have better things to do than hang around for an additional day to win a national open. Oops, my true colours are showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - The U.S. Women's Open will use a three-hole playoff format starting this year, leaving the U.S. Open as the only major championship with an 18-hole playoff.

More...

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I think the US Open(men's) should adopt this format too.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Okay. You've convinced me that I'm old school. Time to shed the past. Here's my proposal for all tournaments (men and women), which will immediately increase ratings (as well as insurance liability premiums). The playoff format should be a duel. Each finalist gets to stand in a 4 foot circle 150 yds away his/her competitor armed with two clubs and an unlimited number of golf balls. Any who jumps out of the circle is immediately disqualified. When the designated official hollers "fire away' each competitor is free to drive balls at any of his/her competitor(s). The last person standing wins. This would prove once and for all, who really can play under fire! And can you imagine the YouTube coverage this would generate. Golf would no longer be a game for the sedantary sect. Of course, with increased popularity it would be impossible to avoid the inevitable drunken shout of "You da man" or "You da woman."

Sorry, I got carried away. For a moment there, I forgot golf wasn't supposed to resemble "wraslin", nor was television supposed to dictate the terms under which this ancient sport was played. Guess I'll stick with my dated preference for 18 hole playoffs.

Thread Information