100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hangover cures

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Hangover cures

It had to be done. We've had the wine thread, the liquor thread, and the beer thread, so I figure it's only appropriate to follow those up with the hangover cure thread. What's your go to cure when you wake up in the morning feeling like death would be a welcome reprieve from the throbbing of your head and the unholy taste of liquor and vomit? I'm not talking preventative measures here. We all know that a couple of litres of water before passing out is the ideal solution, but it doesn't always happen.

My go-to method is a couple of extra strength tylenol, followed by a banana and the greasiest food I can find, usually followed by a few more hours of wishing I wasn't alive. The banana is usually enough to relieve the hangover-shakes though.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    If we're talkin preventative ive found a method that works amazingly well for liquor fueled nights. Once home down a large glass or bottle or gatorade and take two multivitamins. Wake up is normally glorious even after the nastiest of nights.

As for day of i take two ultra strength Tylenol the second i open my eyes in the morning and try to get back to sleep just after i've taken them. Then i get up and do the grease thang.

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    "...feeling like death would be a welcome reprieve from the throbbing of your head and the unholy taste of liquor and vomit?"

You might need help dude!
    "Get your smile on!"

nah, it's perfectly healthy....i'm a student

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    At least 2 large glasses of water before bed.. Because dehydration is what hangovers are all about..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar
    Being advanced in my years, I find the best cure these days is to not overdrink. When I do, however, I try to drink allot of water before retiring.

When I was a student, the best cure was to resume drinking once again. Remember, your hangover only lasts until it is dark again.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    There is no cure, only time. Yes, its smarter to drink water before going to bed, and even smarter to drink during the binge, but alcohol doesn't make us smarter.

I have found that avoiding coffee, and coke, but drinking water the morning after is helpful. You also want to avoid tylenol at all costs: it quadruples the damage you've already done to your liver. Take advil or aspirin, but not tylenol. The bannana is a good idea, or toast, but force the water down you should have had the previous night.

Unfortunately, during some of the blistering hangover's I've suffered over the years, I can barely manage to swallow, let alone drink water or eat. These are the ones that only suffering and time seem to cure.
    Andrew

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Drink as much water as you possably can when you get home!
    That is the key.3 ultra strenth tyl.
    FACT:Alchohol actually dehydrates the brain,causing it to shrink,thats why we get headaches
    Problem arrises when your to wasted to remember to drink water at home.
    FACT #2:Mixing Scotch with water doesnt work
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    The trick is to set an early alarm.

Wake up @ 6 or 7am (you will feel horrible), drink 2 bottle of water (about a litre) along with some tylenol, then head back to bed ... you'll wake up much later i nthe day and feel great! This is of course assuming you are the type of person that can fall back asleep .. You basically sleep through the hangover
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    You also want to avoid tylenol at all costs: it quadruples the damage you've already done to your liver. Take advil or aspirin, but not tylenol.
    Tylenol is the worst thing you can do to your liver after a night of drinking.
    One of the weirdest things I was told to cure a hangover was to drink a shot of hot sauce when you wake up. Tried it a few times and it actually works. You sweat like a beast for awhile after. of course drink water
    To prevent a hangover the night before. Make sure to eat. If you forget to do that. Eat a bag of cotton balls.

I find that once I've fallen asleep, then get up, I seem to be only able to barely sip water. But at the end of a night of drinking, its easy (or easier) to chugg back a lot of water. You're still in "drinking mode" I guess.

And HEY, and don't take Acetaminophen (tylenol)
    take acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) or Ibuprofen (advil)
    Google "tylenol for hangover" if you still don't trust in the wisdom of the mighty Sak.
    Even better, google "hangover cure" for some good idle reading on a Saturday morning.
    Andrew

Oh, & if you're thinking about the greasy breakfast, take a look at this:

Andrew

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    May not be the most convenient, but I always found going for a swim to be the best cure. Water is absorbed through your skin at a high rate, and the weight off of your body helps. If you have a pool at home and its not winter, this works great. Failing the pool, gatorade and the breakfast special at Elgin Street Diner seems to hit the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by atomic View Post
    May not be the most convenient, but I always found going for a swim to be the best cure. Water is absorbed through your skin at a high rate, and the weight off of your body helps. If you have a pool at home and its not winter, this works great. Failing the pool, gatorade and the breakfast special at Elgin Street Diner seems to hit the spot.
    ESD smoked meat poutine is a classic, but that's usually the post-drink snack rather than the morning cure. Also, swimming just seems dangerous to me....what if I pass out again?

Thread Information