+ Reply to Thread
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

Clubs on a Plane (not a sequel to Snakes on a Plane)

Just wondering what the process is. How much of a surcharge am I going to pay? Is it by weight? Will they be handled with care (flying WestJet)? Any suggestions? I'd love to take them as carry on and practice putting at 10,000 feet, but I don't think they'd let me!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Why would you pay extra for clubs? Bugsy and I take ours every year and have never paid extra and I have never had a club damaged. I've had the whole shebang missing for 3 days, but never damaged!

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    So you can take your regular luggage and a club bag?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    yep, as long as it's one of your two checked pieces, you don't pay any extra. Air canada charges for anything over 50 pounds, and doesn't take stuff over 70. Westjet allows up to 70 pounds free of charge, and there is a charge if it's over 70 (not a problem with golf clubs). WestJet has always been good to my luggage. I doubt you should have any trouble.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    So you can take your regular luggage and a club bag?
    I always have and its never been a problem. And trust me, my golf bag is BIG! Its a DATREK cart bag

Oh, one more thing. If you have a soft-shell bag, check with the airline. Some have different rules for the soft shells. But if its a hard shell, should be no problem.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    With Westjet I would be careful that my golf stuff was as light as possible, as they charge a lot when you exceed their weight limits. A couple of times they have wanted extra for what seemed like a very normal weight bag.

http://c3dsp.westjet.com/guest/travelTips.jsp#luggage

This is not from the Westjet site, but from a travel agents email - it does not say how much a golf bag can weigh, but it does say your bag is ok in addition to your normal luggage. "On WestJet flights, golf clubs and scuba gear are accepted as an additional piece of baggage above the regular allowance at no charge. More than 1 piece of sporting equipment will be charged at the regular excess weight and piece charges. Hand baggage is limited to one piece, not to exceed 23x37x50 cm (9"x15"x20") per passenger, max. WestJet charges $5/kg in excess weight charges, and $30 for a extra piece of luggage."

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...e/checked.html

Golf clubs
    One golf bag containing no more than 14 clubs, 12 golf balls and one pair of golf shoes. The bag and clubs must be fully enclosed in a hard shell container specifically designed for shipping. If otherwise packaged, the item(s) will only be accepted with a limited release form (to be signed at check-in), releasing Air Canada of liability.

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...llowance.jhtml

Golf Clubs One golf bag with golf clubs, golf balls, and shoes Free in place of one 62 inch bag Maximum free weight on golf clubs is 70 lbs. Size is limited to the size of a hard-sided golf case. - Swingless Golf Club load strips are considered dangerous goods and are not allowed in checked or carry-on baggage.

Hmm, that must be a fairly recent change for westjet. They used to be more lenient on weight. Definitely good to know though.

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Anyone know what Swingless Golf Club load strips are?

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    "I want these mother clubs off my mother plane!" - my wife in a couple of weeks when we go to Florida!
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I would go with the hardcover shell over the softcover. I have a softcover and one of the legs on my carry bag got bent on my flight from Australia last year. The airline was not liable because it was not in a hardshell case. Also, be careful with the weight...I got dinged a $25(or $35 USD) fee for being a few lbs over the limit.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Sorry Donny, no carry-on.

Make sure you check in as early as possible. Airlines have a dirty little trick that they use now. If the plane is near the total allowable weight, any luggage left over that still hasn't been loaded will get sent on a later flight. You might have to wait a bit longer at the baggage carousel at other end (first on, last off), but at least you know it'll get there when you do.

jmr73, a Swingless Club is a "golf" club that uses a loaded gunpowder charge to fire a lofted bolt contained in a specially desgined "head" to launch a golf ball. The strips are strings of gunpowder "blanks" that get loaded in behind the bolt. It's the same principle as a Hilti PAFT gun. Bill Murray used a similar one at the AT&T pro-am a long time ago.

http://www.swinglessgolf.com/faq.asp

I can't believe there's still a market for these things.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    jmr73, a Swingless Club is a "golf" club that uses a loaded gunpowder charge to fire a lofted bolt contained in a specially desgined "head" to launch a golf ball. The strips are strings of gunpowder "blanks" that get loaded in behind the bolt. It's the same principle as a Hilti PAFT gun. Bill Murray used a similar one at the AT&T pro-am a long time ago.

http://www.swinglessgolf.com/faq.asp
    I can't believe there's still a market for these things.
    Thanks, I googled but I didn't find anything. I can't believe I haven't heard of this before. Pretty weird club.

Sand Wedge topcorner is on a distinguished road

ok for the carribean

Hey dare, the last couple of years we went down to Cuba and Punta Cana and the clubs were not a problem. We were allowed to bring them as well as our other normal luggage (something about sports luggage I believe). This wasn't with Westjet however.

Thread Information