CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar

I'm thinking about stoping the collecting thing

I've recently been thinking about slowing down or stopping on the collecting mostly due to the unbalivable amount of fakes going around.
    Besides here and a few other sites. My main shopping around is done on Ebay. Last night I was on ebay and the first page alone was at least 50% fake putters or hyjacked accounts. For the most part it easy to spot but I'd hate to lose money on the one time I think its real and isn't. I'm really enjoying the collecting and would hate to lose interest for good because I lost $1000 or more on a putter that dosen't exist. TCC is great for helping detect some of the fakes but its tirersome haveing to check there everytime I want to make a bid.
    Would It be possable to start a thread like the one at TCC to help detect and report these a..holes?
    Or maybe I'll just start emailing these guys with Jarred's countdown saying this is what you get for being a dick.
    My rant for the year.

Mark

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Would It be possable to start a thread like the one at TCC to help detect and report these a..holes?
    Not a chance. Sorry but a forum like that is just a place to throw accusations around. Very unhealthy.

Ebay is fine for items that are inexpensive or not known counterfiet targets. I would never buy any clubs off ebay, let alone an expensive collector's item.

Buyer beware. Face to face is always best.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    if you stick with some reputable dealers on ebay you are fine. There are lots to stay away from and they are usually pretty obvious.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

How about some advice for spotting fake Scotties?

1) Know the putter and inspect the pictures closely, comparing details to the genuine thing. Most (all?) models can be found on ScottyCameron.com in the authentication section

2) Authentication: I wonder just how good a guarantee an authentication number listed with a putter is. Seems to me that unless a putter is marked uniquely it would be easy to claim a false authentication. Of course it would eventually be discovered, but too late.

3) If the pictures are out of focus, stay away. Sharp pics are not that hard to make. I always feel that an out of focus picture is hiding flaws.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    just buy off TCC... or post a WTB add for what ur looking for and i GUARENTEE you will get what ur looking for... and all of the guys there have positive feedback, and most are smart and mave COAs with their putters... i just bought a green peace headcover off the site, the guys are really nice... when i was looking for a CT i posted a WTB add and i litterally got 25 PMs that day lol... so no doubt you can find something... ebay is a joke unless u can pick the item up in person, IE the only items ive bought on ebay were from ottawa sellers... if the guy says no local pick up then you have an issue...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    if you stick with some reputable dealers on ebay you are fine. There are lots to stay away from and they are usually pretty obvious.
    I agree that the fakes are pretty obvious, But some of these guys are going to get better. The repeutable sellers are having there names hyjacked daily.

I should also mention I think here and TCC are great places to purchase items of course. I have seen Fakes on TCC but their pretty quick to jump on it. And you'd have to be stupid to try and pass a fake on that site. Never have or I dont belive that a fake will ever pop up here as the demand is limited to only a few people who are collecting. I am thinking that ebay is a joke now( for scotty camerons anyways). But still one of the only places to get an amazing deal. ie: getting a $300 putter for under $100. Ive taken some chances and have been lucky so far but its only a matter of time that I lose money.

So anything else that you'd look for to spot a fake ?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by knickers View Post
    I agree that the fakes are pretty obvious, But some of these guys are going to get better. The repeutable sellers are having there names hyjacked daily.

perhaps, but I deal only with 3balls, globalgolf, etc. those guys would go out of there way to look after you if they sold a fake. That and they know where there stuff is coming from ususally (e.g. the manufacturer). I stay away from pretty much everyone else - at least for golf equipment.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

oh and Green Putters i forget the link ask Lance for it, its owned by a guy on TCC, hes has a bunch of highend Camerons for sale...

Dan spotting a fake cameron is tricky. there have been a bunch of posts on TCC about how to spot it, but you really need to send the pics to a cameron buff of make a post on TCC and they will rip it appart for you in less than an hour...

personally i havent gotten to that level yet

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    perhaps, but I deal only with 3balls, globalgolf, etc. those guys would go out of there way to look after you if they sold a fake. That and they know where there stuff is coming from ususally (e.g. the manufacturer). I stay away from pretty much everyone else - at least for golf equipment.
    I agree fully. Ive dealt with both. 3ball and globalgolf. Both are amazing.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    It is truly awful that there is this much of a problem with fake camerons. I guess thtas the way the world is going....sucks
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    I can think of 3 more obvious ones.

1)If the Item is listed in the US and the sealler is from overseas.

2) Or If the listing is from the US/Canada and the seller is asking for payment in other curancies.

3)If the seller has listed more than one of the same item that is supposed to be extreamly rare

And some good advice in spotting a fake would be to go to scottycameron.com and see what types of sight lines , costom stamps and finishes they offer. If the putter your interested in has something different dont buy or bid on it.This isnt that easy because there are fakes out there that have aftermarket stamp and sight lines that are the same as scotty's that only someone that would know what they are looking at would know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    If it looks like a Cameron but says Rotty Scameron it's most likely a fake!!!

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    If you think the account is hyjacked I recommend you ask the seller a question. This will go directly to his email. Hopefully the check their email and are alerted.
    Hyjacked accounts normally show a stock picture. I also have noticed that accounts they prey on have not been active for a while, i.e.the last time feedback was entered was about 6 months. So the hyjacker knows that this account is not often used. So if it looks like there isn't any recent activity and all of a sudden this guy is selling tons of stuff with an early end time, you can bet there something fishing going on.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

also if it looks like someone has taken a drill press to it and painted the indent red too look like a tour model its fake. or if the bumpers say tiger woods... 9.9999 times out of 10 its a fake lol even if the asking price is 10,000. and has no COA lol.... there was one of those on ebay. 10000 scotty cameron tiger woods edition no coa.... catch was the putter was a newport beach LOL yeah cuz thats real, you just ruined a good scotty idiot

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    What is meant by 'hyjacked accounts'?
    Kind regards, Harry

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I was wondering the same thing. Any experienced ebayers with an explanation?

Its an account that has been haked into in order to sell an item that was once real and is no longer in the hands of the real seller. Usually they will try and get you off of ebay and will ask for payment in other forms rather than paypal.It usually easy to spot.

5 Wood nd2golf is on a distinguished road nd2golf's Avatar
    Just a few good reliable Scotty dealers...

www.tablerock.com
    www.greeneputters.com
    www.whattheprosplay.com

Thread Information