100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar

Some good MOI reading

Lots of good reading here - this is related to the MOI machine Wishon sells (GolfMechanix makes it):

http://www.golfmechanix.com/twgt/Help_Pages/index.html

Hybrid danscustom is on a distinguished road
    There seems to be lots of excitement surrounding MOI. I've been doing a fair bit of reading on the subject, trying to gather thoughts. I actually need to sit down with someone with an MOI machine and get to see the programs at work. I feel there is good merit to an MOI matched set so I do need to spend some time with it.
    I believe I am going to go to the PCS meeting in Kentucky in early March. Tom Wishon is presenting there so should be a great opportunity.
    Thanks, Dan
    True Length Technology @ [URL="http://www.danscustomgolfshop.com"]www.danscustomgolfshop.com[/URL]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by danscustom View Post
    There seems to be lots of excitement surrounding MOI. I've been doing a fair bit of reading on the subject, trying to gather thoughts. I actually need to sit down with someone with an MOI machine and get to see the programs at work. I feel there is good merit to an MOI matched set so I do need to spend some time with it.
    I believe I am going to go to the PCS meeting in Kentucky in early March. Tom Wishon is presenting there so should be a great opportunity.
    Do inquire. I have used MOI matched irons since the mid 1980's, with an occasional regression to a swing weight matched set, and while the differences are subtle, they are discernible.

For instance, a swing weight matched set all feel the same when you waggle the club, but you don't hit the ball with your waggle. An MOI matched set all feel the same when you swing, which is probably more important.

Also, and someone else can explain the physics behind it, an MOI matched set is apparently best when the ball is played from one position and a SW matched set is better when played from different ball positions. If this is true, the MOI set has to be better as it eliminates the guess work of finding the correct ball position for up to 8 irons.

Being able to offer a choice to your customers can only help your business.

3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road
    Do you guys know anything about using the pendulum method for MOI matching. I'm a hobbyist and love to tinker with a Do-It-Yourself attitude. However, I want to MOI match my next set I make, but can't purchase an electronic MOI machine. There's some good info over at David Tutleman's website. It's lengthy and I just gave it a quick breeze through, but it looks like you can do MOI using a pendulum method.

One other interesting note if you check out David's site, is that he took a couple sets, and built them to match MOI thoughout the set. Then, he took the resultant clubs and checked the swingweight pattern. Basically, there was a "slope" when plotting the swingweights versus length. His thought was that if you didn't want to MOI by the letter of the law, you could come awful close by swingweighting using a slope from club to club.

Hey Dan - I check out the Wishon forum daily. I've got 560MC heads (7-AW) and 785 HF (4-6). I need to build these babies, but don't want to do a crappy job. Next will be the CX micros 56 and 60, followed by two fairways, a driver, and a putter to boot. Even though I've never hit a Wishon product, I'm a convert. Hopefully they'll produce.

Hybrid danscustom is on a distinguished road
    I'm with you Hacksaw. The Wishon line will be second to none in design or quality.

As far as MOI, from my limited knowledge, if you build your set to 1/2 a swingweight point / club increasing - goin to the shorter clubs, you will in fact have a very near MOI set. What we will miss on is what is our perfect MOI numbers. Now on a second thought if you build around your favourite swing weight of your favourite club - you won't be off by far.
    I have done this and love the MOI feel.

Without sitting and counting the tick tock I feel this is certainly a move in the right direction.
    Just watch that your swingweights don't get to high in the short clubs. A heavy Swingweight set will tire you quickly.
    Thanks, Dan
    True Length Technology @ [URL="http://www.danscustomgolfshop.com"]www.danscustomgolfshop.com[/URL]

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    The thread posted has some very valuable information but will not be of much use if you don't have the period counter or the software. It is possible to use the pertained information if you only have the software and match the swingweight. The period counter was used in the first version. Now Golfmechanix and Wishon and Golfsmith have come out with a faster way of MOI matching but the machine does not come cheap. $499 USD. Golfsmith also offers the service now but at $20 a club plus shipping that does not come cheap either.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information