CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar

Haute Plaines - What are your thoughts on the course?

The usual Clublink banter aside, what are your thoughts on Haute Plaines as a course? The reason I ask is, I am soon to move to Ottawa from Waterloo, and decided to join Haute Plaines to get into the Clublink fold at a reasonable price. I've never played the course, although I did do a drive by when we were in Ottawa to sign the papers for our new home.

It looks to be located in a nice spot with a view of the city and all, but i've read there are some weak holes. Not a big concern to me, as my former home course had some weak holes of it's own. The lack of distance (~6000 yds) doesn't really concern me, as i'm not really a long bomber off the tee anyways (~265 yards ish). I come from a course where errrant shots will punish you, so the tightness of the course really isn't a factor either.

Anywho, what are your thoughts on the course as a whole? Am I going to enjoy playing there? Are there any amazing or lousy staff that I should be aware of?

Thanks everyone, and I hope to play a round or two with a bunch of you over the coming years. I now frequent TorontoGolfNuts (I know, booooo ), and they usually have a number of outings each year. Are there similar outings for OttawaGolf/GolfResource?

BTW: my old course, which I will miss dearly is: http://www.elmiragolfclub.com in case you might want to have a look.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    One word...tight! Last year it was in excellent condition. We probably have some of the softest fairways of the region. Therefore, even if the course is roughly longer than 6000 yards, you usually don't get any roll. There are some weak/stupid hole (16!!!) but the rest of the course offers an interesting challenge. You'll probably use all the clubs in your bag. Greens are pretty small and well protected. On some holes, if you don't hit the green, you're in bad shape (2-3-6-7-13) and if you hit errant tee shots on some others (2-6-11-14-15-16) you'll likely have to rehit. If you play well it's not really a tough course but errors are very costly (normally translate into double(s)) and can obviously really hurt your game. Hope you'll enjoy playing at HP.

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    One word...tight! Last year it was in excellent condition. We probably have some of the softest fairways of the region. Therefore, even if the course is roughly longer than 6000 yards, you usually don't get any roll. There are some weak/stupid hole (16!!!) but the rest of the course offers an interesting challenge. You'll probably use all the clubs in your bag. Greens are pretty small and well protected. On some holes, if you don't hit the green, you're in bad shape (2-3-6-7-13) and if you hit errant tee shots on some others (2-6-11-14-15-16) you'll likely have to rehit. If you play well it's not really a tough course but errors are very costly (normally translate into double(s)) and can obviously really hurt your game. Hope you'll enjoy playing at HP.
    Excellent! This is what I was hoping to hear. Thank you for the input. It sounds like you're a member out there? If so, perhaps we can play a round sometime.

For those of you that have less than complimentary remarks, feel free to air them. I won't be offended.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    After playing there for 5 years,i can say that it has always been one of my favourite courses in the area.If you like very tight fairways with no bail out options and are a good iron player you will do well but if you like to hit the driver and are not straight of the tee then you will hate the course.Like any golf courses you meet a variety of people some nice and some not so nice.The clientelle is mostly francophone so you best brush up on your french.The course has no driving range but it is always in very good condition like all C.L. courses.Another positive is that you can bee playing within 15 min. of downtown Ottawa or the Gatineau area.I am sure you will get a lot of feedback from a lot of people who have played it.You should play it before signing on.Like i said you either love it or hate it.

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Section TOne View Post
    ...and they usually have a number of outings each year. Are there similar outings for OttawaGolf/GolfResource?
    HP has always been one of my favorite courses. Great conditions usually and it is a challenging layout.

I know the outings you are talking about. They were mostly non-CL members who were going out as guests of a few members. It was a great way for them to get onto nice courses they might not usually get to play (Glencairn, Heron Point, etc...). Seems like they were a lot of fun. I don't know if you are going to find many non-CL members on this site that are interested in outings... most posters don't seem to care for the CL courses. I am sure many of us members would be up for something.

Par stinger is on a distinguished road
    The course is always wet... one day I can shoot under par and the next I don't even come close to breaking 80! It's tight. THe only way to challenge the score is to leave your driver in the bag, aim for the 150 and hope your short game is on! It's a great challenge and has beautiful vistas of the city!
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by stinger; 01-23-2007 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    After playing there for 5 years,i can say that it has always been one of my favourite courses in the area.If you like very tight fairways with no bail out options and are a good iron player you will do well but if you like to hit the driver and are not straight of the tee then you will hate the course.Like any golf courses you meet a variety of people some nice and some not so nice.The clientelle is mostly francophone so you best brush up on your french.The course has no driving range but it is always in very good condition like all C.L. courses.Another positive is that you can bee playing within 15 min. of downtown Ottawa or the Gatineau area.I am sure you will get a lot of feedback from a lot of people who have played it.You should play it before signing on.Like i said you either love it or hate it.
    Heh, I did take french through grade 13, so i'll have to dust off the cobwebs a bit but i'm sure i'll manage.

Sounds like i'll really enjoy the course!

Quote Originally Posted by jmr73 View Post
    I know the outings you are talking about. They were mostly non-CL members who were going out as guests of a few members. It was a great way for them to get onto nice courses they might not usually get to play (Glencairn, Heron Point, etc...). Seems like they were a lot of fun. I don't know if you are going to find many non-CL members on this site that are interested in outings... most posters don't seem to care for the CL courses. I am sure many of us members would be up for something.
    Whoops, I didn't necessarily mean CL-exclusive outings. Sorry for the confusion. TGN would have a number of outings at public tracks to get everyone out for a meet and greet type of thing. They were always a lot of fun.

Glad to hear the CL members would be up for something too. My wife went to school in the area and has a number of friends in the area, but i'll be coming here more or less blinded... it will be nice to meet some of you.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Me and Bugsy put together a forum member outing last September and Geoff put one together last May. I am thinking about doing one again in the spring so stay tuned bud.

bbad
    I will be working around the corner this summer, so anytime that you wish to go out and play, just send me a PM.

I found the course to be one of my favourite around. The course really can be very punishing (bring the grappling hooks if you happen to go to far in the bushes)!

Greens can be somewhat fast (no not too fast).

I'm curious...I grew up around KW...what course did you play that was as tight as HP? I

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Me and Bugsy put together a forum member outing last September and Geoff put one together last May. I am thinking about doing one again in the spring so stay tuned bud.

Quote Originally Posted by bbad View Post
    I will be working around the corner this summer, so anytime that you wish to go out and play, just send me a PM.

I found the course to be one of my favourite around. The course really can be very punishing (bring the grappling hooks if you happen to go to far in the bushes)!

Greens can be somewhat fast (no not too fast).

I'm curious...I grew up around KW...what course did you play that was as tight as HP? I
    Elmira.

Tight, but in a different way. There were your typical parkland trees around to force chip outs and layups, but more importantly if you were off the fairway you generally had a very uneven lie. Couple that with the elevation changes, and you have a tricky course to score well on.

bbad
    Elmira.

Tight, but in a different way. There were your typical parkland trees around to force chip outs and layups, but more importantly if you were off the fairway you generally had a very uneven lie. Couple that with the elevation changes, and you have a tricky course to score well on.
    Never had the opportunity to play that one. I grew up in Preston, so I played most of the courses south of the city.

Hope to see you out there sometime this summer.

Welcome to CL!

Quote Originally Posted by bbad View Post
    Never had the opportunity to play that one. I grew up in Preston, so I played most of the courses south of the city.

Hope to see you out there sometime this summer.

Welcome to CL!
    If you ever go back to the tri-cities area, be sure to check the course out. The members there were absolutely sensational. I've never met a more friendly group of people who truly give a damn about their course.

The conditions and the course itself aren't too shabby either.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Elmira.

You are lucky if you can chip out or layup...it's more likely that you'll hit three off the tee...I'd be interested for sure in playing a round with you, just lt me know...

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I love HP and was sad to see it go to CL since I work about 8 min from it. The course is not long but will challenge you on almost every hole. If you like bomb and gouge golf, this is not the place but personally, it is one of my favourite tracks in the area. If you ever need a partner, call me though I'd need to go as a guest.

I also used to play Elmira a lot when I was younger as I grew up in KW. Loved that course, but it's a bit more open the HP and always played a little longer to me. I haven't played it in probably 15 years and I know they made some renos there. If I remember 1, 10, 18 could be a bit goofy, but I think they just gave you lots of options. I remeber #4 (downhill par 4) being one of my favourite holes on the course, as well as a couple on the back, one over a river to an elevated green, the other coming back up over a hill to a green guarded by a river in the front.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I recently joined HP. I have played it a bunch of times and think it's a great course. I am hoping to meet a bunch of good people to play some golf with over the summer. If anyone is interested in playing sometime let me know. I am always down for a game.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    HP is great. It’s tight and unforgiving course but it’s always in great shape. Bent all around except on some tee-offs mostly because costly repairs and lack of sun.

No driving range but there is a great short game practice area (100Y in) on the old 8th hole.

The OVGA season qualifying takes place every year in May at HP and less then a hand full play under par.

Tee-offs are easy to get. I have played lots of rounds where I was alone on the course. You can show up and play very easily except during prime time mid summer weekends.

As for the French thing, I’m French and Big-Easy also but lots of members are English and all the staff speak English also.

The Pro “Jean Leduc” is awesome. He is a member’s pro. He plays lots of golf with members and he will eat, drink and chat with everyone. Great personality. The staff is great also.

Let us know if you want to try out the course before joining. We can arrange a game. I already know Big-Easy, I don’t know Quinner but we can surely arrange a foursome.

Let us know.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    How do the men's night work there. I would like to play in it, but I work in the west end of Ottawa, I just want to know if it's going to be possible to play.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I have been to HP many times, it's a great course. Although I am not a member, I have played there with many members, as well as on the 'AGF' events, and me being 100% anglo has never been an issue that I have perceived.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    How do the men's night work there. I would like to play in it, but I work in the west end of Ottawa, I just want to know if it's going to be possible to play.
    It’s 80$ to get in and you play 9 holes anytime up to 8PM I think. It’s a must if you want to meet fellow members.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    HP is great. It’s tight and unforgiving course but it’s always in great shape. Bent all around except on some tee-offs mostly because costly repairs and lack of sun.

No driving range but there is a great short game practice area (100Y in) on the old 8th hole.

The OVGA season qualifying takes place every year in May at HP and less then a hand full play under par.

Tee-offs are easy to get. I have played lots of rounds where I was alone on the course. You can show up and play very easily except during prime time mid summer weekends.

As for the French thing, I’m French and Big-Easy also but lots of members are English and all the staff speak English also.

The Pro “Jean Leduc” is awesome. He is a member’s pro. He plays lots of golf with members and he will eat, drink and chat with everyone. Great personality. The staff is great also.

Let us know if you want to try out the course before joining. We can arrange a game. I already know Big-Easy, I don’t know Quinner but we can surely arrange a foursome.

Let us know.

Mike
    Awesome, this keeps getting better and better. I think i'm going to love it!

Regarding the french thing, even though my french skills are pretty rusty I look forward to the opportunity of using them again. I'll try my best to communicate in the native language of whoever I end up playing with. Hopefully in a couple of years i'll be more or less fluent, but it will definitely be a "work in progress" until then.

As for playing before joining, i've already paid my dues for 07 so i'm more or less locked in. I don't think it will be a problem though!

beatnik58
    I'm interested in joining Les Hautes Plaines with a corporate membership. Does anyone know someone looking to have an extra corporate member under their corporate umbrella?

Quote Originally Posted by beatnik58 View Post
    I'm interested in joining Les Hautes Plaines with a corporate membership. Does anyone know someone looking to have an extra corporate member under their corporate umbrella?
    If you sign up before Clublink raises the initiation fees, they do have a "refer-a-friend" policy so that you can get in at second level initiation pricing for individual memberships. ($4,750)

And since we're all friends here at OttawaGolf, i'd be more than happy to give you a referral. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    If you sign up before Clublink raises the initiation fees, they do have a "refer-a-friend" policy so that you can get in at second level initiation pricing for individual memberships. ($4,750)

And since we're all friends here at OttawaGolf, i'd be more than happy to give you a referral. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Yes, $4750 is the same or cheaper than a corporate membershp and you will be better off. Even if you came in at 3rd level ($4250) or 4th level ($4000) under someone's corporate membership, you will likely need to pay a transfer fee to get it transferred to yourself (10% of level 1 = $650).

For $4750, you get your own membership and don't have to worry about issues that come with the corporate.

8 Iron MrMulligan is on a distinguished road

it's ok...

HP is not my favorite but I play there a few times a year. The real disadvantage is that it doesn't have a golf range. The advantage of joining there is that you'll be able to play the other courses in the region and use the Greyhawk practice area which is among the best in the region.

2 Iron up&down is on a distinguished road
    You either love Hautes plaines or hate it. I personaly like the challenging short layout. It makes you think and will punish you for errant shots unlike most courses in the area. It's been a few years since i've played but I remember shooting even par the 1st nine and blowing it on the back! I ended up with 89 in the spring open qualifier still, a good game for the 1st game of the year

Thread Information