CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar

wildest thing you've done in the name of golf

thought this would be a fun topic...

what is the wildest / craziest thing you've ever done in the name of golf and golf equipment?

went golfing the day of your wedding?

traded your car for clubs?

cuz apparently everything golf clubs related i buy or sell is nuts according to my dad... for those of you that have met him the words he used are "your outta your mind" i hear that regularly

i wanna show him it could get alot worse, i already showd him Geoff's itrader profile LOL

but lets see what else there is out there... everyone should answer this!
    Last edited by MusicMan; 01-23-2007 at 02:28 PM.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    well, i did play golf the morning of my wedding.

Also, while it wasn't me, one of the regulars on our annual myrtle beach trip got to the buffalo airport 2 years ago, only to realize that he missed his flight. He proceeded to rent a car and drive the rest of the way, by himself, arriving about 3am and still making his 8am tee off. In 8 years, no one has ever missed a scheduled round though there were a few close calls due to some late nights and heavy drinking.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Besides driving up to Ottawa last year from Pittsburgh for a forum golf outing some of the other goofy things I've done are, Hit 13 large buckets of balls in a row in the span of 6 hours. Walk 105 holes of golf in one day,54 reg. 51 Pitch and putt (till they turned the lights out on me ) Buy a 300 dollar driver and turn around in 2 days and buy another one that I could hit farther for another 300 dollars ,spend 13 years looking for a certain sandwedge only to find out that I didn't like the feel of said sand wedge any more when I finally found one on E-bay (that was a real downer)(original one was stolen with my car)
    Last edited by ironmaster15213; 01-23-2007 at 01:20 PM.

Jeff thats funny you acytually played golf the morning of your wedding... how did u play

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Well the only stupid thing i can think of is that over the last week, i have spent more that double the amount of my bank account on golf clubs!! Also i am currently unemployed, so that makes it all the more worse!

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    strictly falls under stupid:

played 2 qualifer rounds w/ a broken/mashed up hand ... after the qualifier it took about 3 weeks before I played again. One of the most painful things I've ever gone through (the most painful being the 2 previous accidents w/ that hand that landed it in a cast ...
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    Jeff thats funny you acytually played golf the morning of your wedding... how did u play
    My last game as a single man ;-).

As I recall I played well - it was a lot of fun with the boys - but by the time got back, we were running a bit late so it cut into our pre wedding picture time but it was well worth it.

Another of my friends got married the following year and we played the marshes the morning of his wedding also.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams View Post
    strictly falls under stupid:

played 2 qualifer rounds w/ a broken/mashed up hand ... after the qualifier it took about 3 weeks before I played again. One of the most painful things I've ever gone through (the most painful being the 2 previous accidents w/ that hand that landed it in a cast ...
    I've got one of those stories too - another stag 2 years ago - my best friends - at tremblant, I played with cracked ribs. I could barely swing and I knew that right after i made contact, it felt like someone was sticking a knife in me. man that hurt but I actually played well and got "used" to it. I am not smart.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    The stupidest thing I've done in the name of golf? Here you go:

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/itrader.php?u=2332

A close second is a buddy and I sleeping in my car, in the parking lot of a golf course(a la Bethpage Black), so we could get out early to have a round before we had to work the next day. Shot a 77, but was so tired later that day.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    The stupidest thing I've done in the name of golf? Here you go:

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/itrader.php?u=2332

A close second is a buddy and I sleeping in my car, in the parking lot of a golf course(a la Bethpage Black), so we could get out early to have a round before we had to work the next day. Shot a 77, but was so tired later that day.
    ....you are definitly a golf club slut but even so 77 is a great score from the tips at bethpage black, and I know you long hitters didn't drive all the way to New York to play the whites

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213 View Post
    ....you are definitly a golf club slut but even so 77 is a great score from the tips at bethpage black, and I know you long hitters didn't drive all the way to New York to play the whites

No, no Frank. We didn't play Bethpage Black. I just slept in my car in the parking lot of a local course. We had to work that afternoon, so we figured the best way to get in a round was to sleep at the course. Not very bright looking back on it.

But on a side note, you'd be surprised how well car headlights can pick up a ball at night.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    But on a side note, you'd be surprised how well car headlights can pick up a ball at night.
    No, I wouldn't. Back in the good old days we did night golfing the tough way. My dad had one of those huge booster packs (like the CT Eliminators, but big enough to start a bulldozer), and a Million candlelight spot light. We'd go out around 10pm with some beverages and play golf under the spot light. The problem was that the battery pack weighed somewhere in the area of 75lbs, so I also stole my sisters old big purple school backpack to carry the damn thing around in.

Never had any trouble finding the balls, and it always looked pretty cool to fire off a new Titleist with a spotlight following it. I think we went out with 6 guys one time and we were able to get 5 holes in, it was pretty cool.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Not sure what this falls under, but...

My craziest two holes, I followed a 10 up with a 1 on the next. The ace made the previous hole anger an easy one to forget.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I spent a boring rainy week one November in Victoria. My brother was working. I had the whole week to myself, and I had brought my clubs hoping to play golf while he worked. It poured constantly. Not your normal Victoria drizzle, but a good steady rain. I was bored out of my mind. I watched the weather network constantly hoping for some change. Nothing changed. It seemed it would last forever, but I was assured 4 - 5 weeks was all. On the last day I said "to heck with it" and went to Cordova Bay in the rain. The course was pretty saturated, but playable. I was amazed. Thier drainage system is awesome. I hooked up on the 3rd hole with the only other creature out there that was not a seabird and we had a blast. I came back totally drenched. They couldn't have sand-blasted the smile from my face. I hate playing in the rain but I love Cordova Bay. I got to play it before I left and that was the important thing.

Not exactly a crazy story, but one that sticks in my mind.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

A similar story about being excessive, I was visiting Phoenix when my buddy dropped me off at a golf course with a practice green (Ohh goodie, goodie). he says he'll pick me up in 4 hours (ya, he knows me and my addiction to practice )Well he comes back and there I am in the middle of very,very strong winds blowing dust from a vacant lot next to the practice area, I think they call these winds Sirocco or something like that. Denny says he will never forget the sight of me braced against that wind,(more like a sand storm) pitching balls to a pin that's almost bent to the ground. Hey there was somebody else that practiced with me for a while, It's not like I was the only idiot out there

Lol

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar
    This past summer I broke my ankle (fibula) and had a cast on for 6 weeks. I played a full round (riding in cart of course) with my cast on. Some onlookers saw me and said "now, that's dedication!"

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Played the Old Course on the morning of my wedding day, got married at St. Andrews town hall in the afternoon, then played the New Course the next morning.

Drove a ball, with my initials and date carved in it, off the South rim of the Grand Canyon.

Played a 7400 yard course (Kiawah-Ocean) without a driver.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Played a 7400 yard course (Kiawah-Ocean) without a driver.
    now thats crazy

Albatross bobjones59 is on a distinguished road bobjones59's Avatar

Bad Start

Night before my wedding we all go out and get really bombed. Tee off scheduled at 10:00 a.m. the next day with a bunch of buddies. Wedding ceremony at 6 p.m. After partying all night and getting home around 3 a.m. the "soon to be Mrs" and I start to take turns talking on the big white telephone, but she's got it real bad and decides that something isn't right and we need to go straight to Emergency Room. After a 2 hour wait she is admitted and is quickly hooked up to an IV, heart monitors and any other machinery they could use to help her. Alcohol is starting to wear off and the little mouse in my head starts turning the wheel and I suddenly become aware that this could be a defining moment in my relationship with my soon to be wife. Doctors aren't really telling me much and the second hand on the clock seemed to be doing 100mph racing towards the tee time. er ceremony time. Finally around 8 a.m. the doctor comes out and tells me that he suspects alcohol poisoning or bad reaction of some type and tells me he wants to give her something to make her more comfortable but it will make her very drousy and sleepy. Seeing as I care so much for this human being I concur that drousy is good, er I mean the best option. 1/2 an hour later by her hospital bedside with tubes and wires everywhere, I softly whispered that I was going to go ahead and go golfing with the boys (so as not to let them down of course) and to this day I swear she slowly opened her eyes and mustered the words: "Go ahead baby, I'll be allright - see you in a few hours". Shot an 84 that day my friends, not the best score but not bad considering I got NO sleep! Now to this day, if you or anyone were to ask my wife what she said that morning in the hospital you would probably get a different answer, but in my heart of hearts, I SWEAR she told me it was OK and to go ahead and go golfing with the boys! Tied the knot that night and the rest is history!

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    ... good one
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjones59 View Post
    Night before my wedding we all go out and get really bombed. Tee off scheduled at 10:00 a.m. the next day with a bunch of buddies. Wedding ceremony at 6 p.m. After partying all night and getting home around 3 a.m. the "soon to be Mrs" and I start to take turns talking on the big white telephone, but she's got it real bad and decides that something isn't right and we need to go straight to Emergency Room. After a 2 hour wait she is admitted and is quickly hooked up to an IV, heart monitors and any other machinery they could use to help her. Alcohol is starting to wear off and the little mouse in my head starts turning the wheel and I suddenly become aware that this could be a defining moment in my relationship with my soon to be wife. Doctors aren't really telling me much and the second hand on the clock seemed to be doing 100mph racing towards the tee time. er ceremony time. Finally around 8 a.m. the doctor comes out and tells me that he suspects alcohol poisoning or bad reaction of some type and tells me he wants to give her something to make her more comfortable but it will make her very drousy and sleepy. Seeing as I care so much for this human being I concur that drousy is good, er I mean the best option. 1/2 an hour later by her hospital bedside with tubes and wires everywhere, I softly whispered that I was going to go ahead and go golfing with the boys (so as not to let them down of course) and to this day I swear she slowly opened her eyes and mustered the words: "Go ahead baby, I'll be allright - see you in a few hours". Shot an 84 that day my friends, not the best score but not bad considering I got NO sleep! Now to this day, if you or anyone were to ask my wife what she said that morning in the hospital you would probably get a different answer, but in my heart of hearts, I SWEAR she told me it was OK and to go ahead and go golfing with the boys! Tied the knot that night and the rest is history!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

wow jeff thats a story! so did you both pass out the second you got back home after tieing the knot

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    to this day I swear she slowly opened her eyes and mustered the words: "Go ahead baby, I'll be allright - see you in a few hours".
    Hey BJ, are you sure she didn't say 'Go'n your dead baby' ?

.....I vote we make him king

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I'm not sure this is in the name of golf, but it sure was as a result of golf!

On the day I got my hole in one, the rule was everyone has to buy me a drink, the catch was it had to be all the same drink. When I got into the bar, I was asked what I wanted so I said Coors light. Well, when the waitress came back, she had three beer for my playing partners and 3 B52's for me A rules is a rule and what to hell, I'm not paying so who am I to argue..... after about my 6th B52, Bugsy who was sitting at another table with her group came over and said ok, I am going home see you around midnight tonight dear, have fun and give your keys to Dennis now! (this was at around 5PM) Well to make a long story short, the bartender cut me off after 27 B52's (have I mentioned that I dont drink and that I am a diabetic?) Bugsy was surprised to see Dennis dragging me by the colar up the walkway at 6:30.... drunk as a fart but happier than a pig in !

We won't go into the details after he got me in the door

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    There is no way I am topping the "WEDDING STORY" Man that is a classic and you should send that into Readers Digest, or Golf Digest!

I have really never done anything too crazy during a round of golf. I have some some crazy things on a golf course when it was dark though. Won't go into details

Maybe the dumbest thing I did while golfing was last May. Standing on the 18th green, having a heart attack and waiting to make my putt. Chest pains were getting stronger and stronger, but I stood there, waited my turn and made the putt to beat the other two guys I was playing with. By time I walked off the green the pain was baddddddddddd. Nausea had set in. Bad enough I stood there waiting to putt, I drove 15 minutes to get home after the attack. Duhhhhhhhh.

Oh well I lived to tell this story, and trust me I always remind those other guys how I beat them while having a heart attack
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Here's an adventure that begins in Sackville, N.B. Years ago my wife and I lived there with our daughters. One weekend, Teresa and the girls were visiting her parents in Ontario. On Friday night three friends and I had been enjoying a few Moose. Around midnight I jokingly suggested that we should play the Truro course the next morning. The boys liked the idea. We had a few more beers to celebrate this spontaneous decision. At 2 a.m. the party broke up. Three hours later, we hit the road for Truro arriving there around 6:15. Luck was with us. We teed off before 7 and putted out on 18 less than 3 1/2 hours later.

While having breakfast (sequencing was not our strong suit) someone mentioned that they had never played the Abercrombie course in New Glascow. Within minutes the decision was made that we would try to play the course that afternoon. Well, that's exactly what we did, finishing our round before sunset. Now the adventure really begins. We then agreed that the Cape Breton Highlands course should be our next destination. A quick call to the pro shop and we managed to obtain a tee time for the next morning. The intrepid foursome then jumped into the car and drove to Ingonish arriving there around 11 p.m.

We managed to find a place to stay. We talked the desk clerk into letting us into their small store to purchase a few essential: toothbrush, toothpaste, shirts, etc. Remember, this trip was not planned, so we had not packed anything. This wonderful person also allowed us to raid the kitchen to make a few sandwiches and to purchase a banana cream pie. That pie tasted mighty fine at midnight accompanied by a Ten Penny beer. I never said we were cultured.

Well the next morning we had a memorable time touring what has to be one of Canada’s best courses. After a great seafood lunch, we headed home with smiles on our faces. As it turned we had not completely sated our desire to play golf. You guessed it. We stopped in Antigonish on the way back to play their local course. That did it. By the time we arrived in Sackville Sunday night we were tired but happy. So now you can understand why a little sojourn to Syracuse didn’t seem unusual at all.

Someday I’ll have to tell you about driving from Sackville, NB to Augusta, Maine to make a 7 a.m. Saturday tee time with my dad. On that occasion I left home at 1 a.m. after 3 hours sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    There is no way I am topping the "WEDDING STORY" Man that is a classic and you should send that into Readers Digest, or Golf Digest!

I have really never done anything too crazy during a round of golf. I have some some crazy things on a golf course when it was dark though. Won't go into details

Maybe the dumbest thing I did while golfing was last May. Standing on the 18th green, having a heart attack and waiting to make my putt. Chest pains were getting stronger and stronger, but I stood there, waited my turn and made the putt to beat the other two guys I was playing with. By time I walked off the green the pain was baddddddddddd. Nausea had set in. Bad enough I stood there waiting to putt, I drove 15 minutes to get home after the attack. Duhhhhhhhh.

Oh well I lived to tell this story, and trust me I always remind those other guys how I beat them while having a heart attack
    .....Hey golfbum, is it me or are my eyes going on me, I visited your website and it looks like the lines of red and blue letters appear to be in 3D

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213 View Post
    .....Hey golfbum, is it me or are my eyes going on me, I visited your website and it looks like the lines of red and blue letters appear to be in 3D

No no, your eyes are just fine! I have some Hi Tech 3D stuff going on there. I sit down and redo that home page once in awhile. I am about due to do it again. Glad you liked it!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thread Information