CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

Question During a given round, what wedges do you use?

Do you carry 4 wedges?

Do you usually use all four?

Which one do you use the most?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    I am no pro and don't have much time to practice. So in my situation I will often take out the LW out of the bag therefore I don't get tempted. The gap wedge is very usefull to me because of distance gaps. For now I think it is best for me to only stick to the SW for sand play and chipping.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Why is the LW so hard to hit? I was reading one of the mags this month, and most pros use the LW out of the sand because of the increased loft.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

They will use it when the the pin is tight and/or when they are very close to the lip and they have to get it up quickly(no pun intended) From the grass I believe that mid handicapers want to help the ball up and end up skulling the shot. I had the pleasure of playing a round with Michael Pare in the fall and one thing that struck me was the way he hits down on the ball on most shots. In other words he is letting the loft of the club do the work.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I carry 4 wedges.. Pitching wedge, gap, sand, lob.. I use the gap wedge from 110-100 yards, also use it for all my chipping around the greens providing I don't need it come in high or land soft. I use the sandwedge from 80 yards. The lobwedge is for flop shots and all bunker shots.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I also carry 4 wedges and use them all in any given round either for full shots from specific distances or greenside depending on the lie and the shot I need.

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar
    I have been carrying 4 wedges (Pitching, sand, lob and 64 degree x-wedge) as per Pelz's prescription. I rarely, if ever, use the lob or x-wedge so am planning on pulling them and carrying my old gap wedge. Plan is to replace with a hybrid.

7 Wood rsx25 is on a distinguished road rsx25's Avatar
    i also have four wedges, pw, a 54* a 58* and my best a 64*, if i have a tall tree 20 feet from me i will get it over no prob and i use it all around the greens, come on summer.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    4 wedges - 46, 51, 56, 60. I use the 46 GW a lot - from 100 yards in. SW from the bunkers. LW from around the green where I need to play flop shots. PW from 130 yds to 105 yds. So PW and GW by far the most.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Ace TWoody is on a distinguished road TWoody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Do you carry 4 wedges?

Do you usually use all four?

Which one do you use the most?
    I use all four. Hopefully the 48, 52, 56 get used the most because I use the 60 mostly for trap and and getting over that green side trouble I can get into.
    Two spots I can get out of if I have to, but I would enjoy not being in that position if I can help it.
    TWoody
    Member of the TGN Team
    MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I always have 4 wedges, 48,52,55 and 68. I spend countless hours practicing with the 55 and some time with the 68 but the basic three shots with the 68 are distances of 10,18,and 24 yards depending how far I take it back, a full shot is 42 yards and the only reason to use that shot is going over a really tall tree near the green, there just has to be good reason to hit that club and not take the 55 instead. The 48 and 52 are more for full shots then pitch shots but I'll use them once in a while for pitching but I'm just not as sure of those clubs as the 55 sw.

bbad
    I also have 4 wedges but I can't say with one I will use more than the other. Around the green, I'd say it's either my PW or a 9 iron, as I like to get it rolling as quick as possible. It also depends on the course I'm playing.

I have found with the new X-Tour MD 60 wedge, that the balls spin like crazy! The grab it so much, that it's actually chewing up balls like I've never seen before.

My favourite yardage is 110, which is a full 56 SW.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    4 wedges

LW for just about everything inside 95yds
    Back at it.

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    I just moved to a 4 wedge bag this past season and am loving it. Pw, 52, 56 and 60. Only use the pw and 52 on full shots, 56 for bunker play, and 60 for around the green in tight pin placements of over trouble.

I'm using some vokey's now with a cleveland trusty rusty, but want to change the vokey 52 and 56 to something a little more square looking, like the x-tour's. I find the vokey's too rounded for me.

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar

Lob Wedge is out!

Past several seasons I have carried 11 irons - including 4 wedges, 3W, 5W & putter.

Next season, every club in my bag will be new. I will have 4 woods, 8 irons: from 5-9, PW, AW, SW & putter.

Lob wedge is coming out of my bag, I never, ever used it on the course!

Have not decided what 14th club will be, may just play a season with 13.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Only use two.Pitching and 50 deg.This works well for me as i only practice these two and use a lot of imagination around the greens

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Besides a pw,i will use my 56 the most,gap second.
    Lw sometimes,but not very often
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I normally carry 3 wedges
    PW-48* 125-110 yards
    GW-52* 110-75 yards
    SW-56* 75 yards in

Now I recently added a 60* RAC with 8* bounce. I used that wedge twice, in late December and early January. The verdict was I liked it for shots 50-65 yards. Problem is in order to carry it this year I will have to drop a club. So depending on the course and playing conditions the 60 degree wedge might be in the bag. Or the 3 or 5 wood might be in the bag.

In all honesty, I have played for 25 years and always got along without a 60* wedge, so it might not spend a lot of time on the course!

My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    I carry 4 wedges as well: 47, 52, 56 and 60 degrees.

During the course of the average round I will use them all, given that my old home course was around 6200 yards and my new home will be about the same. Lots of 3xx par 4's where a good drive will leave you a wedge of some sort to the green.

Around the green I use my GW for chipping, but will use the 56 or 60 if conditions warrant. Depending on my lie in the sand, I may use either the 56 or 60 to get out.

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar
    my wedges are 47, 51, & 56 degrees respectively. I use my SW as a full swing club, all the way down to trap shots and chips and pitches. I can hit it as high as necessary.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    4 wedges for the past 3 seasons. 46*, 50*, 54* and 58*. I'm not a very long hitter so I rely a lot on these babies. This is where the difference in my game is most noticeable. The highest percentage shot is usually the one I choose. With 4 wedges in the bag, my repetoire has increased substancialy over the past 3 years. All of my wedges are shafted with DGR300 8I flex. This past season I went with a LW with some offsett with results that were quite satisfying. I honestly can't say that I like one more than the other because I use them all for such an array of different shots.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I carry 3 wedges and use them all.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I used to carry 4 wedges, but I dropped the SW in favour of a 2 iron. I rarely use my PW around the green...mostly just for full shots. GW is my money mid-distance wedge...Anything from 110 down to 50 yards...its the only club I can hit successfully with 1/2 and 3/4 swings. Finally, the LW...the money club. Around the greens, it does everything. Bunker shots, flop shots, little chip and runs. It's getting to the point where I'm severely wearing down the grooves, but I want to figure out the specs (bounce etc) before i replace it. Don't want to mess with a good thing.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I carry only a PW. I play alot of half or quarter shots..... play better that way it seems

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I have a nice set of matched wedges--good grips--beautiful shafts--parrallel groves etc etc etc---now I just have to learn how to use them
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    48* Pitching wedge
    52* GW
    56* SW
    60* LW

and i use everyone at multiple points during the round

All of my wedges are shafted with DGR300 8I flex.
    What is the principle behind this Downhill? Feel? Trajectory? Some say it will increase spin although I highly doubt it. Someone told me that is how Snead used to have it done(not sure if it's Snead or another) Please explain why you are doing this. Merci.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 01-21-2007 at 11:03 AM.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    48* Pitching wedge
    52* GW
    56* SW
    60* LW

and i use everyone at multiple points during the round
    Same for me, only my PW is a 46.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    What is the principle behind this Downhill? Feel? Trajectory? Some say it will increase spin although I highly doubt it. Someone told me that is how Snead used to have it done(not sure if it's Snead or another) Please explain why you are doing this. Merci.
    I haqve to give you a little background on my set make-up so you will understand how I arrived at using DGR300's 8I flex in my wedges.

Basically, my set goes from long and light, to short and heavy. Hybrids ( 2,3,4,5 )are shafted with Fuji Banzai's "R", irons ( 6,7,8,9 ) are shafted with Precision Superlite "R" flex, and the wedges ( pw,gw,sw,lw ) are DGR300, 8I flex.My clubs are 1'' over std ( std. = 5I @ 37.5" ) and tipped to chart specs, hence a mush softer feeling tip section. They play to an "A" flex.

The heavier DG shaft along with the higher bend profile allows me more control with different shots from 120 yrds. in. The trajectory is lower and the feel in the tip section from the 8I flex is what works best for me. I compare it to shooting darts.

Oh, and by the way, I do get a lot more spin with this setup.

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    I carry 46, 50, 54, and 58 degree wedges and used them all throughout the course of a round. I consider my PW just another iron and only hit full to 85% shots with it (105-120 yards). Anything 100 yards or less, I'm hitting one of my three Cleveland 900 wedges. For shorter shots - pitches and chips, the first thing I look at is the lie, if it's tight, sat down in some rough, etc. Then I look at how much green I have to work with. Based on those two factors, I almost always choose between the 54 and 58 depending on what the shot calls for.

Thread Information