100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    1 Iron Bidou is on a distinguished road Bidou's Avatar

Kevin Haime Golf School OAC

I went to the Kevin Haime golf school at the OAC a few weeks ago because I heard the Team 1200 were down there and they mentioned that you could win a membership for a week if you won a putting challenge, my wife bought me 3 lessons for xmas so I though it would be a good idea to check it out.

Well I made all 3 putts and got 5 chances to win 1 of the 3 memberships and got a call a few hours later and was informed that I won a with it came help but not lessons. I attended 3 days of 7 and never got any kind of direction or help which got me thinking:

1. Was I overlooked because it was a freebie?

and

2. (more of a statement) They didn't know I had 3 unused lessons that were purcahsed for me and if they did want to impress me, would'nt they do everything possible to get me back in there as a paying customer?

Anyway, I got to hit balls for free so that was good but I came away from the whole thing feeling that the OAC and the Golf School was a little snobby for my liking.

I can bet that treatment would have been different if I said "I love the place and want to be a member!"

Any similiar experiences?

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    I'm a memeber there. What you have to do is talk to one of the instructors and book a video. Once the video/assement is done you have a file that is in the filing cabinet with your name on it. When you want instruction get your file and put it in a clipboard and put it by the mat/station you are hitting from.
    An instructor seeing this clipboard will come and ask you what you are working on and look at your assessment. He/she will give you some drills to work on..like a minnie lesson. They may add to the file with further information on your progress or things you should be working on. When you're done put your file back in the drawer.
    Additional vidoes can be scheduled throughout the course of the season.
    Key thing.. ask if the instructors for help if you don't know the process.

Hope this helps.

PS...It's not that it's snooty it just lacks personality. Before, under Marc Peterson it was a blast to go there. The instructors would always be friendly, kidding around and make you feel like your progress was their number one priority. But since the OAC staff was replaced with Haimes staff it's lost alot of it's dynamic under Haime who incidentally I have never seen there... oh and by the way doesn't give vidoes or assessments. But if you pay him he'll give you a lesson. Marc Peterson was more hands on and took the time for his members... not the case anymore... I miss the old staff....
    Last edited by The Saint; 01-19-2007 at 02:31 PM.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

BigFlopper
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidou View Post
    I went to the Kevin Haime golf school at the OAC a few weeks ago because I heard the Team 1200 were down there and they mentioned that you could win a membership for a week if you won a putting challenge, my wife bought me 3 lessons for xmas so I though it would be a good idea to check it out.

Well I made all 3 putts and got 5 chances to win 1 of the 3 memberships and got a call a few hours later and was informed that I won a with it came help but not lessons. I attended 3 days of 7 and never got any kind of direction or help which got me thinking:

1. Was I overlooked because it was a freebie?

and

2. (more of a statement) They didn't know I had 3 unused lessons that were purcahsed for me and if they did want to impress me, would'nt they do everything possible to get me back in there as a paying customer?

Anyway, I got to hit balls for free so that was good but I came away from the whole thing feeling that the OAC and the Golf School was a little snobby for my liking.

I can bet that treatment would have been different if I said "I love the place and want to be a member!"

Any similiar experiences?
    So you have 2 different things going on here, 3 lessons and a free week as well?

It's too bad you didn't get any instruction when you were hitting balls. I was a member there last year and you would have only needed to tell someone you were new and they would have helped. Not sure what the system is now that K H has taken over.

My mistake.. I thought you won a membership..

Tis whats happens when you speed read...
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

1 Iron Bidou is on a distinguished road Bidou's Avatar

Clarification

Saint, thanx for the info. I was aware of the system that is implemented by the staff in regards to the progress chart and instruction from random pros.

The deal, at the time anyway was that they knew I was new and I was hoping to get some instruction as mentioned to me over the phone by one of the workers but of course I didn't expect a lesson since I know that the school can't give out any freebies. The pros were all made aware that I "won" the free week membership and so I gathered that it was recognized that I did not pay so it did not warrant the same attention as a member. I guess my gripe is that on the phone some instruction was promised but I got none at all. I am sure that alot of people have had great experiences there and will continue to.

IMO you only have 1 chance at a first impression and by that you are usually judged.

I am sure my 3 lessons will proceed beautifully.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Snobby

No to bad mouth anyone but this is not the first time that I have heard of this type of attitude with KH related matters, a friend had a launch monitor fitting and felt he was really rushed through it and got little out of it. He went to see Don at Artisan for the same thing this year and told me that his visit to KH was a waste of time and money in comparison to Artisan.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    I was questionning the same thing the other day. A driver fitting with KH at the OAC will run you about $90 I believe. I was fortunate enough to win a fitting with Don that is valued at $50. Now you can't tell me that Kevin (although he apparently does understand the golf swing) knows more about fitting clubs than a recipient of the PCS Clubmaker of the Year award, and is worth almost double for the same service.

I have serious concerns as to the direction that the OAC has taken this year with respect to the obvious push to sell clubs right off the bat. The tone in the school has definately changed under the new management. Better or not has yet to be determined.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    No to bad mouth anyone but this is not the first time that I have heard of this type of attitude with KH related matters, a friend had a launch monitor fitting and felt he was really rushed through it and got little out of it. He went to see Don at Artisan for the same thing this year and told me that his visit to KH was a waste of time and money in comparison to Artisan.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    PS...It's not that it's snooty it just lacks personality. Before, under Marc Peterson it was a blast to go there. The instructors would always be friendly, kidding around and make you feel like your progress was their number one priority. But since the OAC staff was replaced with Haimes staff it's lost alot of it's dynamic under Haime who incidentally I have never seen there... oh and by the way doesn't give vidoes or assessments. But if you pay him he'll give you a lesson. Marc Peterson was more hands on and took the time for his members... not the case anymore... I miss the old staff....
    I was a member there for a couple of years under Marc Peterson. Marc really made an effort to spend time with his clients even though he was super busy running the place. Don't think I'll be going back under this management.
    I know in the past, early morning weekdays were filled with seniors/retirees and it was like a social club for them and the instructors. i wonder what the atmosphere is like with the new instructors.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    What would happen if those of you are dissatisfied with the service that you are getting from the Kevin Haime Golf School, were to take the time to diplomatically write your concerns down on paper and send them to Kevin?

As a business person whose livelihood depends on satisfying his customers, Kevin would be foolish not to seriously consider your concerns. Understanding that one letter of complaint probably represents many more unhappy customers, receiving a dozen or so should raise a red flag or two. IMO, this is the best way to effect positive changes.
    Last edited by BC MIST; 01-20-2007 at 06:15 PM.

I have sent him 2 emails but he never returned them. So I say why should I continue to bother. My next step to mail the GM at the OAC.. Not to bad mouth anyone just to voice some feedback. I'm skepticle that I will be listen too.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    I have sent him 2 emails but he never returned them. So I say why should I continue to bother. My next step to mail the GM at the OAC.. Not to bad mouth anyone just to voice some feedback. I'm skepticle that I will be listen too.
    Not returning calls or e-mails is a buisseness killer!
    I dont blame you for being pissed?
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Thumbs up One more opinion

Interesting thread and I can only relate my experience there. I have gone to the OAC Golf School the last three years. I was reluctant to return this year due to the cost and time I thought I could devote. When I heard KH was to run the school I decided to give it another try. I had planned to go to the golf dome in Blackburn Hamlet and hit balls all winter, for about the same money, but though the addtion of "coaching" could help me.

Last two years I enjoyed Marc and his team. They were helpful and responded to all questions. Each hitting station had a flag and all you had to do was put it up and they would be right there to offer any assistance. All the school has ever offered, in my time, has been coaching, lessons extra and there has been a fee scale available.

I had no complaints in the past but I thought that the scheduling of the video session was a bit rigid and IMO the time spent analysing was all too brief. This year I see a noticible difference. Since Day 1, Dec 1, I have been there 13 times. As noted previously by The Saint - good re-cap by the way - there is still the video analysis and the file/clip board system. I found the video analysis much better this year and included a club/fit/check. I hit a large number of balls with my 5i to confirm the proper lie. The video was from several angles and hand held, taping several shots at each angle. In previous years the views were fixed from the side and back and you only had one shot each.

At the conclusion of the video review they usually give you three things to work on and once you have achieved your goal, then they move on. One day recently I was approached by one of the staff who video taped me with out me requesting it and then spent about 15 minutes going over the points.

Generally if you don't put out your file/clip board they will leave you alone. I find the staff this year more hands on, but like any business that totally depends on the person you are dealing with. One day last week I was putting and had three staff, including KH, come over and offer advice. I have seen KH there at least half the times I have been there.

This year, as opposed to the last two, I see the school as more goal oriented and the staff are, IMO, better equipped to deal with my issues. I'd be very surprised to know that KH knowingly failed to return calls or would not take some action when made aware of any concerns.

Although planned, the info/demo sessions have not started but KH advises they will be held Feb/Mar. He intends to include Tony Greco, another OAC addition this year to talk about nutrition and fitness.

As far as the OAC goes, it is a great place, but I would not join. Would not call it 'snooty' but there is a certain "clubby" atmosphere. IMO, it's the "tennis" people, not that there is anything wrong with that

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Kiwi, good detailed overview of this year's OAC golf school.

I was a member only one year (last year) and did not return this year.
    I did enjoy Marc and many of the instructors from last year.
    I know some of Kevin Haimes instructors from a few years back at his school in Kanata. Greg Foley and the guys are great !! NO COMMENT on Kevin himself.......

I have my own personal instructor from the golf club I belong to and he gave me a number of things to work on during the winter. I have taken advantage of the SuperDome which in my opinion is the best indoor hitting facility in the Region .
    With 80 - 90 yds of ball flight you can certainly see if your flight path is straight.
    I found that after only hitting the balls 20 yards into the nets at the OAC last winter I had picked up some serious swing problems when I got outside in the spring.

As for an overall opinion of the OAC. I found that the place needs a bit of a "makeover". In 1989, I had won a free one-year membership there, and when I returned last year I thought nothing changed from much of the paint colours, carpeting etc. If I was a full-time life-long member there I would certainly not be happy paying all that money.....

Last winter, in addition to the golf school, I also worked out in the fitness area.
    Found the exercises one of the trainers set me up with helped greatly with my strength and conditioning for golf. So take advantage of that if you can.

Regarding the "clubby" atmosphere I could not agree more. Also, noticed all the different groups/cliques.......... After hitting some balls I would then go for my workout . During this period I was exposed to The Golf school people (nicest group!!!); Tennis people; squash people; Fitness people; Weight/Power lifting people; and the large groups of hockey kids who the trainers had doing power sprints along the track.
    Problem with 10-11 year olds is they tend not to have a good comprehention of space and saw on many occasions the kids almost run over people working out.
    It looked like a law-suit waiting to happen.......

OAC works for some people, but not me............

Smile OAC Golf

I do like the Golf Dome too, and I was just about there, until the changes at the OAC. I figure the cost would be about even especially if I took advantage of one of the pros working out of the Dome. I agree, too, with the idea of being able to see your ball flight for the 80-90 yards. I went there last year just before my Myrtle Beach trip and felt real good about my game. I will give it serious consideration again next year but will wait to see how the drills KH and staff recommend work out this year. As for KH, he is a character and I have nothing bad to say about him. What I like is that he is direct, no bs, but I can see some at the OAC not taking a fancy to that type of personality.

Hope to see you on the course this year and we can compare notes.

Par stinger is on a distinguished road

dome

The distance to the end of the dome is 73 yards.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Actually the fellow that works there said its 77.6 yds. If you round off to 78 that makes it 2 yds short of 80. If you find the error of 2 yds affects the accuracy of your shots, then you shouldn't be sitting on the golf forum, but off playing on the Tour............

Cool Golf Dome Yardage Markers

Quote Originally Posted by stinger View Post
    The distance to the end of the dome is 73 yards.
    That's OK. I'm one of those guys that says he hits a 7i 150, but actually it is more like 143... it all works out

Gap Wedge golfCOACH is on a distinguished road
    Careful not to lump the great instructors that work for KH under the same umbrella as MR. H himself. As mentioned previously, Gregg Foley is a good teacher and some of the winter guys like Scott Johnson know what they're talking about. The OAC is a decent place to practice, with lots of activity, and its better to see your ball fly than hitting into a simulator and have the ball always fly straight, like some sims in Bells Corners..
    Does anyone here know of players who have had success under KH? I'd like to hear some positive stories... NCAA players? CANTOUR players? anything???

Par stinger is on a distinguished road
    I've been an OAC member for the last two years and this year (being my third) is quite different. I'm a strong follower of Peterson and don't have anything to say good or bad about Mr. H...
    I like what they've done to the place... the carpet was always something that Peterson wanted... It is a totally different atmosphere than past years... a little colder, more professional, less personal and the membership is down a little over 100 members. I'm still waiting to be approached by the staffers... I bought a membership at the superdome and it is the best move that I have made. If the OAC was smart, they would put up a dome next winter over the tennis courts and make it a real golf school. The only thing missing at the superdome is a good short game facility. I wouldn't want to see the cost of a golf school in a bubble under the Kevin Haime banner...

I recall hearing something about an expansion of the OAC Golf School in the future. I believe that is contingent upon KH staying with the OAC and that the golf program succeeding. It would surprise me if they did that at the expense of the Tennis Club, as I think they are a big part of the OAC. I suspect that expansion will involve pushing out the east end walls either with a similar structure or perhaps a dome type of facility.

I agree that the dome is lacking the putting, and short game facilities to make it a complete golf centre.

I am a little surprised by the numbers of forum members who say that they are waiting to be approached. First, as a member you are entitled to the video analysis, and this is made very clear in the literature available. During that initial analysis the goals and structure of the school were explained to me, including the "file" concept and that if you want contact all you need do is place your file on the clip board provided by your hitting station and they will come to work with you. Don't know where the break down has occurred but every time I am there I see this taking place, so others must also have been told the same thing.

Thread Information