100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Driver natgolfer is on a distinguished road

Career Game Going-- Etiquette

The recent discussions on etiquette reminded me of this situation.

You are playing a round of golf with your buddies and one of them has a career round going.

What do you say or what do you do, under these circumstances, or, perhaps, more importantly, what do you not say or not do.

Ty Webb
    Simple. You ask him if he exhales during his downswing... LOL.

On a serious note, I wouldn't change a thing. If it ain't broke, why fix it? Try to make the day as pleasant as possible. My $.02.

Ty

4 Iron ShaneOttawa is on a distinguished road

Re: Career Game Going-- Etiquette

Originally posted by natgolfer
    The recent discussions on etiquette reminded me of this situation.

You are playing a round of golf with your buddies and one of them has a career round going.

What do you say or what do you do, under these circumstances, or, perhaps, more importantly, what do you not say or not do.
    Keep everything normal, except don't mention score. If he wants to talk, talk. If he wants to be on his own, let him be.

Driver natgolfer is on a distinguished road
    Shane, Ty,

You are true golfers, not just people who play golf.

Occasionally, a golfer who is scoring well, does not realize it, because they happen to be in the "zone" on that day, so making a comment or saying, "Gee, you are only 1 over par, is just something that one learns NOT to do. The golfer may sudden become aware of the pressure and when that happens the "House of Cards" crumbles, and that is just not fair to him.

Just "sit" back, stay out of his way and let the guy continue as best he can and when it's over, be the first to congratulate him.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Sounds too serious to me.
    I'd rather nothing change or else it makes for a pretty boring day.
    On my career best day (77), my playing partner and I were laughing it up every time I sank a bird or saved par. I was able to stay relaxed because of that and it truly was a great day.

4 Iron ShaneOttawa is on a distinguished road
    Originally posted by em69
    Sounds too serious to me.
    I'd rather nothing change or else it makes for a pretty boring day.
    On my career best day (77), my playing partner and I were laughing it up every time I sank a bird or saved par. I was able to stay relaxed because of that and it truly was a great day.
    Exactly - keep everything normal, if the guy wants to talk (or laugh or whatever) then you talk and laugh. If the guy wants to be left alone, you leave them alone.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up career round

Well I had a career round going on the weekend and I'm one that usually is always thinking about my score and was trying something different in that I knew I had a good game going but didn't know what the score actually was until someone asked what I was at. Stupid me looked it up and told them and then proceeded to bogey the next hole. On the 18th someone mentioned that I must have a really good game going and I started to think about it again and checked where I was at and then proceeded to double the last for a three over. Still a good game but I was really trying not to think about the final score except when it was mentioned late in the round. Similar to the pros not wanting to watch the leader board and then others always want to know where they are. I guess it's something else I really have to work on.

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    I don't know what you guys all think about when you're golfing, but I can't help but know what my score is for the entire round. If I'm 3 over after 10 holes, I know I'm three over.I don't need to add up my score to find out.

I can understand not talking about one's swing, or score, etc. during a round, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows what their score is before adding up the card?

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Originally posted by mr shank
    I don't know what you guys all think about when you're golfing, but I can't help but know what my score is for the entire round. If I'm 3 over after 10 holes, I know I'm three over.I don't need to add up my score to find out.
    I can understand not talking about one's swing, or score, etc. during a round, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows what their score is before adding up the card?
    It's not very difficult to count to 3 after 10 holes...some of us need to count higher than that. I wish I had that problem.

9 Iron javguy is on a distinguished road
    Usually alot of laughing is involved.

Oh sorry, I thought you were referring to career worst days not best. In this case I don't know what you're talking about then. My bad.

Thread Information