+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood TORAIDER is on a distinguished road

? for Clubmakers...

I have a question for the formally trained and self taught clubmakers in this forum. I am thinking about learning to build my own clubs. I'm not sure I want to take a formal course, but I am not opposed to the idea. Here's my question(s):

When you first decided to learn this skill, how did you go about it?

Did you buy books, if so which one(s) do you recommend? or Did you take a course? (again, if so which one.)

I would also be interested in a brief history of your journey to becoming a proficient club builder.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    I first ordered one club to build from GW before they had a place here. Then I ordered their basic clubmaking (600 pages). the rest is history. there are plenty of links to help you get started without the need of buying any books.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hybrid danscustom is on a distinguished road
    When I started I simply could not afford the set I wanted so I tried with no experience. It worked but if I compare then to today - whole new ballgame.
    Maltby has a home study course which I believe to be good - your pace
    or
    you can attend one of many courses offered by the Big guys + PCS of course.
    Most of my formal is thru Maltby - been to his shop at his home twice.
    You want to talk about amasing.
    This is where I ended up

Clubmaking Accreditations
    Certified by The Ralph Maltby Clubmaking Academy in:
    2001 - Professional Assembly & Repair
    2003 - Professional Clubfitting
    2004 - Dan was invited to attend Ralph Maltby's 'Masters Program' in Ohio becoming only the 3rd person in Canada to obtain this status. This is the most elite clubmaking program there is and is only available to individuals who have proven their ability is of the highest regard.
    2004 - Wrote the Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA) Exam earning both the Professional & Advanced Certifications - the highest available levels for Clubbuilders.
    2005 - Trademark owner of 'True Length Technology™' A fitting system that puts every club in the same hand position based on the proper length and lie angle for the individual. Please note that the clubs do vary in length, but not to the traditional 1/2 inch incrument used throughout the industry. I devoted 3 years of research knowing there had to be a better fit than what is currently available. I always felt my long irons were too long and my short irons too short. Please review my True Length Technology™ section to help you understand what this system will do for you and your game.
    2005 - Became a Certified Rifle Center for Frequency Matching Royal Precision Rifle shafts. Rifle Shafts are now part of the True Temper Family of Golf Shafts.
    Thanks, Dan
    True Length Technology @ [URL="http://www.danscustomgolfshop.com"]www.danscustomgolfshop.com[/URL]

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TORAIDER View Post
    I have a question for the formally trained and self taught clubmakers in this forum. I am thinking about learning to build my own clubs. I'm not sure I want to take a formal course, but I am not opposed to the idea. Here's my question(s):

When you first decided to learn this skill, how did you go about it?

Did you buy books, if so which one(s) do you recommend? or Did you take a course? (again, if so which one.)

I would also be interested in a brief history of your journey to becoming a proficient club builder.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    This might interest you;
    book
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    I started out by bugging Chief and The Saint Did lots of and Andre sent me lots of links.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Ordered the Golfsmith catalog about 20 years ago, and built a couple of wedges.

Lots of experimenting ever since.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    A couple of years ago I took the Club Builders course at Golfworks..(money well spent) and built one set> built another set> built some wedges> assembled some woods> bought some expensive tools > more expensive tools... more and more building and repairing.
    I have no idea now how many sets that have come across my bench now. There is tons of info out, some good and some bad. If in doubt post your question here.

Being a clubmaker is like belonging to a brotherhood.. we're all here to share ideas and help each other out.

Good luck.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    It can all be summed up in one word:

"PASSION"

Thread Information