CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Pitching Wedge Elrik is on a distinguished road

Callaway Irons: X-14 vs. X-16 vs. X-18

Hi - Had a chance to hit a friend's Callaway X-18 irons on a golf simulator and they seemed to hit very nicely! However, having 4 young kids, they are a bit out of my budget these days.

I would be able to afford pre-owned x-14 or x-16s available online, but am not sure how all three compare. Are there substantial differences (or improvements) with each successive model (especially between the X-14 and x-16)?

Any advice will greatly help!

Thanks

Erik

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Not a whole lot of difference. The X-16s moved into Cally's notch weighting scheme and the whole 360* undercut channel for increased forgiveness. The X-18s are more similar to the X-16s than the 16s are to the 14s. If I had to recommend, I'd be looking for a set of X-16s or X-16 Pro Series. Top notch clubs.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Ben Hogan BH-5 are very much like the X-14. Comes in an offset model too. Seen the BH-5 being cleared out at $299 at a local Nevada Bob's Golf (BC).

Dave

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I love my x 14's they have 6.5 rifle shafts cut one inch longer than normal, they feel wonderful while striking the ball. I haven't tried the newer models cause I don't see how they can feel better than what I have.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

X-14 are great

My x-14s were great clubs and very affordable, great value for the money.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Use to own a set of X-14 irons and could kick myself for trading them in.Best clubs all around thats why you still see a lot of people using them on this site.

8 Iron Special_K is on a distinguished road
    Another vote for the BH-5. You can find used sets on forums for around $100-$200! Identical to the X-14's too. BH-5 offset = x-14, and regular BH-5 = X-14 Pro series....both, of course, without callaway's bore through hosel.

I play X-18 PS and love them. I HATED the X-16 PS...there were "hot spots" on the face I found where distance control was just brutal. I don't have that problem with the X-18's though.

People say the X-14 pro series is callaway's best iron period...ever.

Pitching Wedge Elrik is on a distinguished road
    Thanks everyone. You certainly give a very favourable impression of the Callaway clubs and the Ben Hogan BH-5s.

I shoot in the low 90s and am finally starting to know how to work the ball. Is that possible with the Callaway X-(14)(16)(18) series? Some users on the web say they've been able to do so, others say the clubs have just too much forgiveness.

Out of curiosity I checked GT to see if they had any BH-5's. Unfortunately, they only had it in steel, not graphite. Will keep my eyes open.

Erik

Bogie mikelaurin is on a distinguished road
    I have a set of x14s best clubs I have ever owned forgiving unreal distence have tried a friend x16s liked mine way better custom fit at Chuck Browns 5 years ago hit to good to ever consider getting rid of Scooty Cameron is afraid of these

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelaurin View Post
    I have a set of x14s best clubs I have ever owned forgiving unreal distence have tried a friend x16s liked mine way better custom fit at Chuck Browns 5 years ago hit to good to ever consider getting rid of Scooty Cameron is afraid of these
    Mike, I am glad they don't let you write the articles over there at the paper.. We would all be in trouble if they did..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrik View Post
    I shoot in the low 90s and am finally starting to know how to work the ball. Is that possible with the Callaway X-(14)(16)(18) series? Some users on the web say they've been able to do so, others say the clubs have just too much forgiveness. Erik
    They are more difficult to work becuase the head is so big but it can be done. If I want to work the ball I would go more to a different type of head but the X-14 are great all around clubs.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Is Hogan still making the BH-5s? I can't see them here... http://www.benhogan.com/products/irons/index.html#p1
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

5 Iron Seak69 is on a distinguished road Seak69's Avatar

X-14

I didn't care for the x-14s, maybe it was uniflex shaft , didn't like the heads either.I got rid of them and picked up X-16 pros with PX shafts and I like them far better.I also have X-tours and I absolutely love these,I will never part with them.But I have said that before.

babym0use
    Having gathered that you shoot in the 90's. it would be safe to recomend the 14 or 16 for starters . Price wise both are still affordable . I see no difference in graphite or steel shafts for these clubs . R flex will may be to your liking and from there you can start learning how to groove your shots . If and when you get to a level where you have no preference then it may be time to move to the X - Tour . By then price will not be a hindrance . Happy golfing !

5 Wood AndrewMGA is on a distinguished road AndrewMGA's Avatar
    I'll give another vote for the x14's. They were my first OEM clubs and are still in my backup bag. Using the Fusions now because I got a great deal on them last season but I don't see the x14's going anywhere soon.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I'll tell you the story behind my X-14 pro series irons (It's good for a laugh at how stupid I am at times ) Well about 3 years ago I'm practicing for the indoor golf league on the simulator in Oakmont Pa. when in walks my playing partner with brand new shiny irons that he bought from a buddy that won them somewhere. Now I was perfectly happy with my king cobra irons and was playing at around a 3 handicap in my leagues outside, Well I asked to try one of his irons and he handed me a 9 iron to which I started hitting balls into the screen. The distance was a tad longer than mine but the feel was unbelievable....I just couldn't believe that a club could feel that well while striking the ball. I kept looking down at the club after every shot in amazment, so I asked if we could share his clubs (irons only)for the league round and checked it out with the owner as to not break any rules for the league. Well I wind up shooting 2 under for 9 holes on some god forsaken Hawiian course that if you miss the fairway your adding extra strokes to your score.(don't get too happy for me cause we have inside 6 foot gimmies). Well I'm out the next day opening a charge card at dicks so I can buy a set of these irons. I go to buy the irons and they only have 6.0 rifle shafts instead of the 6.5 in his irons (one inch longer too). Well I buy them anyway cause what could the diference with half a point ? So the next week I compare my clubs to his while hitting and wa la Not even close So I'm figuring it must be the length being that they're a inch longer so I leave my clubs there and have them put one inch extentions and the same grips that he had on his clubs, surely that will fix the difference. NOT!!!! the next week they feel better but nowhere close to the same so I have to spring for new 6.5 rifle shafts cut to one inch longer than normal. Tried them the next week and they were the same as his That year my handicap dropped to a 0 with those clubs and it took getting beaned on the left knee cap with a golf ball right before our forum spring outing last year to take my handicap back up to a 3 or so, it's tough when you can't transfer your weight onto your left leg. But anyway the moral of the story is if you find something you really like get it exactly like you want it even if it takes a little longer to obtain it. Cost me 200 extra cause I wouldn't wait for the 6.5 shafts.
    Last edited by ironmaster15213; 04-16-2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelling

bbad
    I have the x-14 Pro's as well and would not trade them for the world! I've tried both the x-16, X-18s and even the new X-Tours and I don't hit them as well as I hit my x-14s.

As said earlier, the shaft can make a HUGE difference. I was fortunate that the shaft that I got with mine was already to my liking. If it wasn't, it would be the first thing that I changed. I won't change the head until they crumble away.

Putter dekedetroit is on a distinguished road
    In my mind, there's no question. Get the X-14s. You can pick them up for around $200. Why spend $400 more for X-18s? The only clubs I've enjoyed as much are Ping Eye 2+, but those are much less forgiving.

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    What do people say about the older X-12 in comparison?
    Kind regards, Harry

Thread Information