100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 22 Putts

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Question 22 Putts

Who is Charles Howell III's new putting coach. Heard he worked on this part of his game all off season. Had 22 putts yesterday, 5th in the tournament. Like to know what he did...

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar

First miss the green!

first thing he did was miss a lot of greens!...

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Who is Charles Howell III's new putting coach. Heard he worked on this part of his game all off season. Had 22 putts yesterday, 5th in the tournament. Like to know what he did...
    Well he shot 5 under so he likely hit it close and made some birdies.

In fact he made 7 birdies.

He had a total of 25 putts, he had a total of 21 putts in GIR.

He hit 13 greens in regulation. So his scrambling was good too in order to keep his putts down to 25.

In other words the flat stick was hot and he hit his irons well. Nothing unusual for a Pro to have 25 putts per round. Heck I have done better than that! 22 putts for 18 is my personal best and that came during a club event. Putts counted from the fringe in. My playing partner had 25. I remember this because we cleaned up on the # of putts money!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

That puts it in perspective. Interesting, as I am working on my putting big time this year. I had noted that the "official" stats on the PGA web site only specified the putts per round related to GIR. If I did that who knows where I'd be. Right now I guess I am fooling myself saying that I'm 34 ppr, 'cause I include ONLY the strokes taken with my putter when the ball is on the putting surface, although I may use it from the fringe, up to 20' off depending on the lie/cut. I guess I can understand the PGA only reporting those stats, as they are recording only the best of the best - PGA players. Seems that is a little strict though as it not only measures their putts but how they got there. Do they ever qualify their driving stats when they play courses that are firm and down hill, like last week? They had some extreme drives, but some wind aided plus 75 yard wide fairways. For me a putt is a putt and if I could get down to 30 ppr - using my measure - then I'll think that I've accomplished something.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I want to know who Tad Fujikawa's putting coach is. That kid made some bombs yesterday. Nice 66. Not bad for a 16 year old.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Who is Charles Howell III's new putting coach.
    I think its David Leadbetter.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I think its David Leadbetter.
    If it is Leadbetter then ChuckieIII is a better learner than Miss Wie

PGA stats only count putts on the greens, fringe putts do not count towards PPR.

34 Putts Per Round is good if you hit 18 greens in regulation
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    He's using one of my new putters, the Odyssey Black Swirl prototype. Not sure what number though.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Question GIR and PPR

OK, dumb it down for the new guy.

If I hit all 18 GIR, and two putt all 18, my PPR is 36. Right?

Now if I hit 9 GIR and the other 9 one stroke over, then two putt (bogey), what would my PPR be?

Never been strong at math.... or golf stats

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Now if I hit 9 GIR and the other 9 one stroke over, then two putt (bogey), what would my PPR be?
    Poor
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    He's using one of my new putters, the Odyssey Black Swirl prototype. Not sure what number though.
    .....I lent him your mallet one, he says thanks and there will be a little something in the mail for you.

Question Gir & Ppr

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Poor
    OK then, that's two . Anybody know? Don't think I can do it the easy way <18 GIR>

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Kiwi, unless you hit the green in regulation, your PGIR (Putts per green in regulation) won't change. Only stat that will be affected will be avg. putts per round (PPR). Which according to your hypothetical quesiton would keep your PPR at 36.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Thumbs up Pgir

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Kiwi, unless you hit the green in regulation, your PGIR (Putts per green in regulation) won't change. Only stat that will be affected will be avg. putts per round (PPR). Which according to your hypothetical quesiton would keep your PPR at 36.
    Thanks for the clarification Geoff . Now for dumb question #2.
    I just checked my 2006 stats. My GIR was 3.3 (avg. per round) .
    I assume that means that it will take me, on average, 6 rounds to get up to 18 GIR. At that point I will have enough GIR to establish a PGIR "rating", is that right?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I assume that means that it will take me, on average, 6 rounds to get up to 18 GIR. At that point I will have enough GIR to establish a PGIR "rating", is that right?

I'm not sure on that, but I don't think you need to hit 18 GIR to establish a PGIR stat. Your PGIR stat is directly related to your GIR stat. If you were a pro on tour and your GIR is 5.5 and your PGIR is 2.0 people won't take that stat too much into account. They'll see you only hit 5.5 GIR per round. They'll then move to AVG. Putts per round to determine what type of putter you are. That takes into account every putt you make, whether or not you had a GIR.

Make sense?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Works for me. Thanks Geoff

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    22 putts was the lowest amount of putts I've ever had in my life in a round. It happened twice, but the best one was the first time during a league outing. I chipped in 3 times and still only shot a 76 (what a cruel game ),that was about 15 years ago but I will never forget chipping in 3 times in one round.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    You just need to keep track of how many putts you made when you got a GIR.

E.g. you hit 4 GIR in one round, 3 putt 2 of them (bogey) and 2 putt the other 2 (par) and you miss the other 14 greens but chip on and 1 putt half of them and two putt the other 7, you would have a PGIR of 2.5 (10/4) and a PPR of 31 (2x3 + 9x2 + 7x1).

I am a 24 hcp and avg 34PPR but my PGIR is hovering around 2.5 (I guess I get nervous when I get on in reg).

Hope this helps.

4 Iron Ditty_72 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    I want to know who Tad Fujikawa's putting coach is. That kid made some bombs yesterday. Nice 66. Not bad for a 16 year old.
    He did make some putts, but he's got some work to do to get it to levels of the rest of the tour players. Tadd was 1st in GIR for the week, but finished T20 or so. If you've got more putts at birdie than anyone, you should be right there in contention.

But who am I to talk... he's got a hell of a lot more of a putting game than I have, and might ever have. Just saying though, if someone hits that many greens, they should make more birdies than he made. Not bashing Tadd or anything though He's an amazing player, and he's got some real potential to be on tour- I think he should finish school after this year and go to q-school and get his card at 16. He'll be playing when he's 17, and he would have a ton of potential to break records. Just my thoughts though, some people will say he should finish school, but if I was in his shoes, I would quit school and copncentrate on golf- he's got a ton of potential and he won't be using it if he's stuck in the classroom all day.

Thread Information