CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter J.Stanley is on a distinguished road

Post Golf Dome in Kanata

Question for golfers. Would an indoor Golf Driving range at March rd/417 to far away from the rest of Ottawa. Would you personaly go visit or get a membership. Now when I say March rd I mean the section of March rd that passes Carp airport. So again is this location to far for your convenience or is it a nice out of the way location that you would gladly go to getaway for an hour or so.

A Facility that inludes
    -100 yard indoor two tier driving range open 8am-midnight
    -Putting green/chipping area
    -ProShop
    -Licenced Diner with 18 hole golf simulators
    -pool tables
    -plus extras

All responces and opinions are welcome.
    Eager to hear responces from Ottawa, Kanata, Carlton Palce, Carp, Arnprior, Stitsville, Manotick, Gatineau, and Orleans

J.Stanley
    Last edited by J.Stanley; 01-13-2007 at 12:52 PM. Reason: found spelling error

"Richard"
    thats a good idea, how much do you think it would cost me to start one up? I might even throw a few sims in there as well!

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    The West End of Ottawa is in need of a Dome. I use the SuperDome on Bearbrook in the eastend and love it !!! Hitting 80 - 90 yards(from the corners) is great as you can actually see if your ball flight is on the correct path.
    The only question is from a business aspect can a Golf only Dome survive financially in Ottawa? As we all know the soccer teams is what keeps the SuperDome going, and they will occupy the evening and weekend times.

I would be interested to hear from any of the OG members if they have heard how the Golf only Domes in the Toronto area are doing financially?http://ontario.twoguyswhogolf.com/practice/index.html

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    Love the Idea. Short game area would be something usefull for myself in the winter time.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Stanley View Post
    Question for golfers. Would an indoor Golf Driving range at March rd/417 to far away from the rest of Ottawa. Would you personaly go visit or get a membership. Now when I say March rd I mean the section of March rd that passes Kanata airport. So again is this location to far for your convenience or is it a nice out of the way location that you would gladly go to getaway for an hour or so. All responces and opinions are welcome.
    Since this location is 3 minutes from where I live I would be a member in a heartbeat. While it may seen too far west, I can drive to the Superdome in 30 minutes from March/417, so driving distance should not be a deterrent.

One problem is competition. Kevin Haime's Bell Sensplex practice facility is doing very well and is obviously even better located. The mats are good, the balls are new, it's warm inside and while the hitting distance is only 30 yards, it is a good place to practice.

BTW: It's the CARP AIRPORT, not Kanata Airport.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Since Landsdown park dome no longer being used for golf, and East and West end got indoor daily user fee facilities, open a golf dome near downtown and/or South end would be perfect. Housing development in Ottawa South has grown steadily, there're still lots of nice land near the Ottawa Airport..

5 Iron breaks80 is on a distinguished road breaks80's Avatar
    Me and my Kanata golf Buds would be there
    Probably on a "pay as you go" basis.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Coming from Gatineau, i finf it a bit far but would probably go if they were open at nite and weekends.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    A good idea, one that i personally would like to see. Simulators may draw a bit more of a crowd but bear in mnd that Bells Corners isn't too far away. Pay as u go would suit my lifestyle more also.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Where's the Bearbrook dome? At the golf course? Anyone know the hours or cost?

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Where do I sign up for my membership??!!

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I'm in Nepean(Baseline/Woodroffe) and I'd go for sure.

The SuperDome is located on Bearbrook Rd., which is close to the HWY 174/Montreal Rd. exit. Go east on HWY 417 (Queensway), go towards Orleans on Hwy 174 and take the Montreal Rd. exit. Blue SuperDome signs mark the direction to turn see map on website http://www.superdome.ca/contact.shtml. Takes me only 8 minutes to get there from Downtown.

You can hit unlimited balls for 1/2 hr. (they actually give you close to 40 minutes so you have time to take your coat off and loosen up) for $11.00. They will charge you $11.00 for every additional 1/2 hr. Or buy an unlimited time membership for $329.

DRIVING RANGE HOURS:
    December 1st to April 15th
    Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm
    $11.00 for 1/2 hour of unlimited ball hitting
    $329.00 + GST for a Seasonal membership

There are 20 hitting stations, and the average hitting distance is approximately 80 yards. If you hit on a slight angle from the corner stations, the distance is closer to 90-95 yards. They also have a few flag-pins set up at various distances which allows you to chip and pitch. The ball rolls very realistically as if it were a fairway on the artifical turf.
    The best thing is once your ball is in the air at the 60 yard mark you can see if the flight is straight. Some of the other indoor facilities in Ottawa are fine for working on your swing, but because you are only getting 20 - 30 yards of ball flight you have no idea if your ball flight is straight.
    The Staff that work there are also very personable.

My pesonal opinion regarding Ottawa indoor facilities is, if you want to go out with the boys enjoy a few beers then the simulator screens are great for you.
    If you really want to work on your game, then the SuperDome is your best bet.
    The only reason its not used more extensively from Ottawa's golf community is you have to find some time Mon. - Fri 8:00 am - 4:00 pm. During evenings and weekends, the soccer teams take over.

Give it a try, you will not be disappointed !!!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    The only reason its not used more extensively from Ottawa's golf community is you have to find some time Mon. - Fri 8:00 am - 4:00 pm. During evenings and weekends, the soccer teams take over.

Give it a try, you will not be disappointed !!!
    hmmm, that's probably why I've never used it. If only someone would open a dome that us working stiffs could use!

Sand Wedge kaiserii is on a distinguished road kaiserii's Avatar

Indoor_that would be nice.

I moved here 4 month ago, then the green fee is fantastic comparing with my home country, it's less than 1/10. But the practicing area especially in winter is disappointed because , to catch up with the demand for practicing golf, there might be lots of indoor range, which has more than 200 yards distance.
    Anyway If your indoor range is located near by downtown I will be a frequent customer but it is far from hear I'll have to consider the time and transportation conditions, no wife can understand that I drive 40mins to practice golf...
    But, I would go there once a week at least.
    I hope you make it happen.

Consistently present bobbyc is on a distinguished road bobbyc's Avatar
    A good idea i would use weekly during the winter months with my golfing buds. Pay as you go. Also pay for the time you are actually hitting balls .. not waiting to hit balls !! Only a few clicks from my home. Kevin Haime's 25yarder not good enough !! Why $11.00/half hour ? Taxes included in that ? Why not an even $10.00 taxes included ?
    if i could only putt !!

Yes, at the SuperDome on Bearbrook Rd., your $11.00 includes taxes.
    As previously mentioned, you are given 30 minutes to hit unlimited number of balls (they actually give you closer to 40 minutes which allows you to loosen up).
    And no, you are not paying if you have to wait, which is not very often. They give you a card with your finishing time when you are ready to go hit.

The West End definetely needs a dome like this. If financially someone can make a "golf only" dome work, then that would be a bonus.

beatnik58
    Go for it. I would be there way more than my wife would like!

Lob Wedge chuck is on a distinguished road
    I'm in Kanata. I had a membership at Thunderbird last year and miss it. I would go.

Pitching Wedge spart is on a distinguished road
    I am in Carp and would race BC Mist to the door to sign up. Nevertheless, I was at the superdome in the east end the other day and there were very few people there, so I wonder if an exclusive golf dome could survive. By the way does anyone else have trouble following the golf ball at the super dome? I find the white on white very difficult

I had trouble following the ball the first few times when hitting from the right side and straight on stations. However, noticed that if you hit from the last 4-5 stations on the left end which are on a slight angle you can follow the ball much better. Also, when hitting from these stations which are angled you can get about 90-95 yards of ball flight as opposed to the stations straight on which give you 80 yards.
    I mentioned to the guys about about seeing the ball much better from these stations on the far left end, and they thought it had to do with the positioning of the lighting. They said they would check the lighting out.
    Hope this helps............

Thread Information