100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Jarred, explain! Either in PM or here. I need something and soon, that I can use to keep track of my portfolio while I'm in Florida.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    I can imagine that, as with any Apple device with Bluetooth technology, as soon as you switch on the phone next to a Mac the computer will recognize it instantly, and syncing will be a "one click" affair. Hopefully for you PC-ers out there the new Vista OS will have something to support syncing.
    I'm watching the keynote speech right now. Apparently you'll be able to sync everything through iTunes. E-mail, Bookmarks, the whole shabang.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    I want the Q, so if anyone knows a GREAT deal, please let me know!!!!!!!!
    The Q is actually a bit of a POS. Microsoft still has a ways to go to get their software usable. If you are set on a Microsoft device, the "Dash" (aka HTC Excalibur) blows the Q away. The Samsung BlackJack is pretty good as well.

If you need something that is good with email, calendar, etc., the various Blackberry devices still stand out. If you are more into multi media, etc., the iPhone (or whatever name Apple will use since Cisco is now after Apple for the iPhone name) will rock.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    I'm watching the keynote speech right now. Apparently you'll be able to sync everything through iTunes. E-mail, Bookmarks, the whole shabang.
    That's why I love Steve Jobs. He comes up with answers before people even ask the questions. iTunes is the perfect solution because it's a proprietary Apple program with cross-platform accessability.

Apple iPhone: $500
    Apple iTunes: Free
    Having to download iTunes on your PC (if you don't own a Mac) after buying the phone so that you can sync the features, possibly spend some extra money on an iPod, and possibly give even more money to Apple by downloading some music in the process: Priceless!!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

I didn't get a chance to finish the keynote last night (I had to go whoop DiMarco in Tiger 07), but wow I wasn't really pulled in by the hype until I watched this. I've never really had a chance to take a full out test drive with a blackberry or other smart-phone, but there is no damn way they could even compete with the iPhone.

Watching the demo of Jobs just surfing the internet, and using tabs, YES TABS on a mobile phone, is pretty damn slick. Google maps just like you'd see it on your computer, complete with automatic phone links and local search.

The only thing that made me stop and think while watching this is how much Ted Rogers must be salivating to get this thing into his customers hands. I say that because it browses the net like you would see it on your PC, which is all fine and good when you are using the Wi-Fi part. But when this thing is on-network, just using google maps alone, it would be downloading a ton of info. I took a look at the Rogers Data plans and didn't see anything close to the value provided by Cingular. The US company has a Unlimited Data plan for $19.99/month, and assuming iPhone customers get the same package, it would appear to me that they'd be getting one hell of a deal. Rogers doesn't seem to have anything that comes close, but their website is hard to browse, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh well back to the Keynote.

Hey Geoff, once Richard gets his paws on one of these, I highly doubt you'll be the post count king for long. When he can log onto the forum in full res from anywhere (public washrooms included), I suspect those random thought threads will start popping up more often.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Heard this AM on ROBTV that Cisco holds the word-rights on "IPhone". Could be interesting to see what happens there. They are apparently taking legal action against Apple on this one.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Garth,

I heard that also, it should be very interesting.

Also, the tech guy on Live said that he made a mistake yesterday, that the article he had read said that the iPhone was missing all those things. That article must have been from an older prototype or something. It looks cool, but I'll wait to see what it's like when it hits the market.

Donny, I know a guy with the Q and really likes it for what he does. Not sure what your needs are, but web surfing on these small devices is still iffy. One of those small screen laptops with wifi may be the best solution.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    some great demos of how it all works here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/phone/

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I have a question after watching a couple demos. The touch screen is awesome, but if you're talking the phone, you've got the thing up against the side of your head...seems it might be really easy to hit the screen and end the call by accident. Does anybody know if it goes into lock mode for phone calls?

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I have a question after watching a couple demos. The touch screen is awesome, but if you're talking the phone, you've got the thing up against the side of your head...seems it might be really easy to hit the screen and end the call by accident. Does anybody know if it goes into lock mode for phone calls?
    It has a proximity sensor that detects when a large object, such as a university students afro, is close to the phone and turns off the touchscreen and display so that this doesn't happen.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    It has a proximity sensor that detects when a large object, such as a university students afro, is close to the phone and turns off the touchscreen and display so that this doesn't happen.
    See, now that is impressive.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Canadians can expect the Apple iPhone six to eight months from June. Rogers will be the provider.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    when a large object, such as a university students afro
    Too much!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    When he can log onto the forum in full res from anywhere (public washrooms included), I suspect those random thought threads will start popping up more often.
    where do u think i am right now? definatly not at my computer

i love wi-fi

"Richard"
    please tell me you aren't sitting on the toilet at school...

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    most of what he is complaining about is technoweenie stuff. Other that vibration mode, I couldn't care less about most of it. The camera isn't good enough for most pictures even @ 3.2MP, when compared to my digital camera.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Thread Information