100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Richard"

The new IPHONE!!!!

Wow, it looks so damn sexy! I can't believe the news of this phone made RIM shares go down almost 8% I don't see how its going to compete with the blackberry. First, its got a touch screen so it would be impossible to type on. Second, blackberry isn't marketed for youths which seems to be where ipod is going with this phone. I'm sure they will sell a ton of these bad boys and I'm sure one of them will be to me. 8 gig mp3 player, wi-fi to surf the net where possible, 2mb camera, no buttons.. all touch screen. Its pretty cool. Nothing new, sony has pretty much the same thing out expect its not a touch screen but the name alone will sell a boat load of this.

Also, apple took the word computers out of the company name now that they are 75% mp3 market share and soon the be in TV, PVR and now smart phones.

If this thing had GPS I would be set!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    What would you use the GPS for Richard--do you tend to get lost sometimes?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    It looks great, and seems great from their demos .. curious to see how functional it actually is in day to day use ... is the screen gonna need to be babied etc etc
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    donny next stock tip...

"buy apple!"

i can guarentee every teen will have one of these sending apple stock through the roof!

even if they already own an IPOD... i can bet they will own an IPHONE too

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    price was 499 and 599 USD in the US. It is GSM so that would mean Rogers only in Canada.

The iPhone is thinner than some of the cellphone industry's sleekest devices, such as Motorola Inc.'s RAZR. It will cost $499 to $599 when it debuts in the United States, and is expected to hit Europe in the fourth quarter and Asia in 2008.
    Cingular Wireless, the No. 1 U.S. wireless network and a unit of AT&T Inc. , has a multiyear, exclusive agreement to provide U.S. service for the iPhone.
    Jobs predicted that in 2008 Apple could sell 10 million iPhones, representing roughly 1 percent of the current annual mobile phone market of 1 billion units a year. Last year, the consumer electronics market globally was worth $145 billion.
    "This is a huge market right here," Jobs said in an interview, calling the iPhone "a natural extension of what we've been doing."
    Gartner analyst Mike McGuire said Apple seems to have backed up Jobs' claim on Tuesday that the company has "reinvented" the mobile phone. "It's not just candy. These are entirely useful, new ways to use your phone," McGuire said.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    price was 499 and 599 USD in the US. It is GSM so that would mean Rogers only in Canada.
    FIDO is gsm... the only one that isnt is telus and bell... they are CDMA

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    What would you use the GPS for Richard--do you tend to get lost sometimes?
    Only on the golf course my friend

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by "Richard" View Post
    First, its got a touch screen so it would be impossible to type on.
    I'm sure you're kidding here. There is no way that Apple, the company that basically molests itself regarding its usability and the intuitiveness of their products, would spend 2.5 years on development of the ultimate smart phone and not come up with a way for people to send e-mail from it easily. I'm sure once proto's make their way to review sites we'll be hearing praise about the input system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    FIDO is gsm... the only one that isnt is telus and bell... they are CDMA
    I know this is well known, but its Cingular exclusive for now due to the network infrastructure so even though it doesn't matter to us Polar Bear lovers, they will be bringing a CDMA based version with 3G capability in the future. I'd expect it in the first revision, assuming that there aren't any major design screw ups in the first run that require major revisions.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

"Richard"
    Dude, next time take the quotations out and pretend you wrote that, people will think you are smart

The iPhone is thinner than some of the cellphone industry's sleekest devices, such as Motorola Inc.'s RAZR. It will cost $499 to $599 when it debuts in the United States, and is expected to hit Europe in the fourth quarter and Asia in 2008.
    Cingular Wireless, the No. 1 U.S. wireless network and a unit of AT&T Inc. , has a multiyear, exclusive agreement to provide U.S. service for the iPhone.
    Jobs predicted that in 2008 Apple could sell 10 million iPhones, representing roughly 1 percent of the current annual mobile phone market of 1 billion units a year. Last year, the consumer electronics market globally was worth $145 billion.
    "This is a huge market right here," Jobs said in an interview, calling the iPhone "a natural extension of what we've been doing."
    Gartner analyst Mike McGuire said Apple seems to have backed up Jobs' claim on Tuesday that the company has "reinvented" the mobile phone. "It's not just candy. These are entirely useful, new ways to use your phone," McGuire said.

nothing is exclusive anymore... as long as you unlock it you can use it on anynetwork... look for the unlocked versions on ebay within the next 6 months

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    I'm sure you're kidding here. There is no way that Apple, the company that basically molests itself regarding its usability and the intuitiveness of their products, would spend 2.5 years on development of the ultimate smart phone and not come up with a way for people to send e-mail from it easily. I'm sure once proto's make their way to review sites we'll be hearing praise about the input system.
    Off the top of your head can you think of how you would be able to type on a touch screen? I've tried it, I had the p910i sony before I flushed it down the toilet by mistake

It would be very hard to make a phone with no keys that you can still txt msg from. I had to use the stylus and it was a pain in the arse.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    From the reviews I have heard, it is a phone with an MP3 player. Albiet a sexy phone with an mp3 player. It is not a PDA (so no email/calendaring synchronization), does not have 3G (so web browsing will be slower), does not have any memory slots, the battery is non-removable, no wi-fi, and you get all of that for $5-600. Hmm, I can get a pretty honking MP3 phone for that, or a Windows Mobile device like the Motorola Q.

Now it won't be released for several months, but the need to add some more features for that price range.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

nothing is exclusive anymore... as long as you unlock it you can use it on anynetwork... look for the unlocked versions on ebay within the next 6 months
    You may be right on this one, but I browse alot of forums for geeks where you usually see comments like "oWneD! We'll just hack this and use it on Verizon, so 1337!!" and haven't seen much talk on it being unlocked and used on other carriers. It may be done, but from my understanding the reason Apple partnered with Cingular originally was because of their planned infrastructure upgrades to take advantage of everything the iPhone had to offer properly. I don't have any specific data, just re-hashing what I read other places.

It will make its way up here eventually I'm sure, and by that time the price will likely have dropped to be competitively priced with other smart phones like the Treo 750 and such.

Off the top of your head can you think of how you would be able to type on a touch screen? I've tried it, I had the p910i sony before I flushed it down the toilet by mistake

It would be very hard to make a phone with no keys that you can still txt msg from. I had to use the stylus and it was a pain in the arse.
    I can't, but that is the reason Apple hasn't been knocking at my door to recruit me to their team. I'll guarantee that there will be something that will make it comparable to typing with a Treo or Crackberry. I'd even go so far as to bet this was included one one of the almost 200 patents Apple applied for (and received?) during the development of this phone. I'm not an Apple fan boy but I they would not come to market with a phone with their name on it that can't compete or dominate (the ROKR was Motorola with iTunes, doesn't count).

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    From the reviews I have heard, it is a phone with an MP3 player. Albiet a sexy phone with an mp3 player. It is not a PDA (so no email/calendaring synchronization), does not have 3G (so web browsing will be slower), does not have any memory slots, the battery is non-removable, no wi-fi, and you get all of that for $5-600. Hmm, I can get a pretty honking MP3 phone for that, or a Windows Mobile device like the Motorola Q.

Now it won't be released for several months, but the need to add some more features for that price range.
    It has Wi-Fi, and look at the picture, it has a button right on the OS marked "Mail" & "Calender"

Official specifications:

* Screen size: 3.5-inches
    * Screen resolution: 320 by 480 at 160 ppi
    * Input method: Multi-touch
    * Operating System: OS X
    * Storage: 4GB or 8GB
    * GSM: Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900)
    * Wireless data: Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + EDGE + Bluetooth 2.0
    * Camera: 2.0 megapixels
    * Battery: Up to 5 hours Talk / Video / Browsing; Up to 16 hours Audio playback
    * Dimensions: 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm
    * Weight: 4.8 ounces / 135 grams

"Richard"
    colby I don't know where you read that but it does have all those things. Wifi, email and so on, all the features of the blackberry but the email is through yahoo. I read it in the star this morning (toronto)

Hoolio, I'm sure you are right but I can't think of anyhting unless they have developed some kind of touch screen that wont detect your finger when it brushes up against another letter.. but I doubt that. Lets see what happens. Should be interesting to read some reviews of users who have actually used the phone and not used seen a picture (like me)

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I heard the review this morning on Live on the way to work. The guy was talking about the one that was introduced at CES. This may be the version that they will be releasing when they do. Also, if the email and calendar don't synchronize with the stuff you have on your computer, it will not be very effective.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

looks like my old Motorola M1000 that i had... only slimmer... the touch screen dialing was nice, but the text messaging suuuuuuuuucked! i hate stylus' thats why i got me a Nokia E61 wi-fi, mp3, and best of all a qwerty keyboard!

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    I heard the review this morning on Live on the way to work. The guy was talking about the one that was introduced at CES. This may be the version that they will be releasing when they do. Also, if the email and calendar don't synchronize with the stuff you have on your computer, it will not be very effective.
    I read that the phone actually supports IMAP mail servers (might just be through Yahoo Mail though). So it could even effectivly sync with your mail server directly, not just your Outlook inbox. I'm not going to comment on the auto syncing with the computer though because I haven't seen anything specific related to syncing other than the iTunes support.

there will eventually be a patch to sync with the microsoft exachnge server.. they need to have that cuz 90% of the population that will buy this phone uses it.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    WOW, I would not know how to turn that thing on let alone use it

I just stepped up to a 512MB IPod Shuffle at Christmas. The original one My daughters thought it was time for me to get past the cassette stage of life As for a Cel phone, I do not own one. Well I guess I do, it sits here on my desk but I do not have a plan for it. I don't go away far enough to need a cel phone!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Fido too.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

pssst.. i said that already

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    I read that the phone actually supports IMAP mail servers (might just be through Yahoo Mail though). So it could even effectivly sync with your mail server directly, not just your Outlook inbox. I'm not going to comment on the auto syncing with the computer though because I haven't seen anything specific related to syncing other than the iTunes support.
    I can imagine that, as with any Apple device with Bluetooth technology, as soon as you switch on the phone next to a Mac the computer will recognize it instantly, and syncing will be a "one click" affair. Hopefully for you PC-ers out there the new Vista OS will have something to support syncing.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Fido too.
    Actually, Rogers bought Microcell back in the fall of '04 which includes "Fido". They have simply continued the "Fido" brand name. So, whoever said Rogers only is actually right.

As for RIM, this device will not impact RIM's typical business user. However, it does make the competition a lot tougher for RIM in the consumer gadget arena (the Pearl)!
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

the pearl aint nothing special trust me... i would probably have one of these iphones... though i was watching a clip and they said that apple is already working on version 2 of the iphone... makes you wonder how long version 1 will last on the market... ill buy version 1 when version 2 comes out and the price drops...

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Hubby wants it, and whatever else it was that they unveiled. So that means I get to find fun stuff for me. No guilt.

"Richard"
    the pearl aint nothing special trust me..

Yes we know the perl is nothing special, your girlfriend told us!!!

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I want the Q, so if anyone knows a GREAT deal, please let me know!!!!!!!!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Yes we know the perl is nothing special, your girlfriend told us!!!
    jokes on you pal.. I'm single! haha

and donny... u want the Nokia E61. best phone ever... i wouldnt trade it for anything

Thread Information