100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Pitching Wedge golfman71 is on a distinguished road

When did you first get hooked on golf?

…where were you and at what stage in your life when golf became an important part of it? How long have you been a golfer since?
    "Golf and sex are the only two things you don't have to be good at to enjoy."
    my newest conquest:
    [url]http://www.aldila.com/product6.html[/url]

Lob Wedge BPW is on a distinguished road
    My initial round of golf was played in 1948 at the Langara Golf Course in Vancouver B.C. That was 55 years ago and I still love and play as much as I can today.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar

Addicted ?

With me it was five years ago at Mt Cascades. I'm still not very good but God what a game. I spent the first 50 years of my life thinking that golf was a sport for non-athletes in bermuda shorts. Somehow those shorts became an integral part of my wardrobe and please don't ask me to choose between Jennifer Lopez and a hole in one.

3 Wood LongHitta is on a distinguished road LongHitta's Avatar

Talking first time!!!

My first time was at Glengarry G&CC....I grew up in that area. My friend was an avid golfer, and I wanted to see what the hype was all about. That was 6 years ago, it turned out to be a worthwhile investment for that 16 year old, becuase he got hooked!! Apart from the year I took off becuase of a soccer accident, i've been going strong ever since!!...and cutting about 5 strokes/year off...hopefully it doesnt slow down this year.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    It was 1992 and my friend "GlennAbbeyNorml" took me out to Gatineau. I was instantly hooked. Started playing at Manderley shortly after that.
    I looked around and thought, "gee I bet they'd like some nice photos of the course...."

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Talking was only 16

While only a 16 year old, and on vacation camping along the St.Lawrence, my dad took my younger brother and I to the beautiful and scenic Upper Canada Golf Course, as our first ever round. We liked it so much we were there three days in a row.

Scores were something like 128 for my first round ever and then 118 and and 104. The scores kept getting lower ever since, and I was hooked. Although now it seems to only get lower when I play really really well.

Played golf with high school buddies in the early 80's, then met some golfers when I started working for the governement in my early 20's. Got my first membership in 1986 at Mount Cascades, where I played for 15 years. Have organised a family / freinds golf tournament (The Stuggy) for almost 20 years now and have never looked back. And then came OttawaGolf......................... You all know the rest.

You gotta love this game.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Re: Addicted ?

Originally posted by Gofish2
    and please don't ask me to choose between Jennifer Lopez and a hole in one.
    Well, unless you're Ben Affleck in disquise, you don't have a choice, do you?
    my newest conquest:

Is anyone else going to give a reply? I hope so - I really like reading people's stories... surely we can get some more memories in this thread before it fades into obscurity!
    my newest conquest:

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    About 12 years ago I took a lesson at Rideau Glen in Kemptville - Harted every minute of it. I didn't pick up a club for about 7 years. My manager at the time ( I was working at East Side MArio's ) then was an avid golfer and him and I got a long. We started going golfing once a week or so, and ever since I've been hooked!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    It was in 1999. Work was organizing this big golf tournament and as one of the boss/supervisors, I was expected/pressured to play. I had never hit a golf ball before. I went to the driving range a couple days before and discovered the magnificent power of the slice...

Anyway, played my first round of golf at that tournament, enjoyed my time on the course, found it a good way to enjoy the company of my co-workers and shot 97. Back then I putted the opposite way than I hit any other clubs (maybe I should go back to that way... )

Same guys from the foursome asked me to play the weekend after, shot 93 and got hooked to the game since then. Proud to never have shot over 100. 4 years later I still haven't broken 80 but I think that's coming.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Talking oh ........ i couldnt resist

nice_lag

discovered the magnificent power of the slice
    seems you never lost it..............

Back then I putted the opposite way
    was thinkning the same thing when I read it

just kidding of course nice_lag...........but this game is soooooo addictive / frustrating / enjoyable / humbling / gratifying adn of course so much fun too.

Now of course you did beat me on friday, so what do I know.:crying
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    Steve,

Don't you wish that I always hit that slice and none of that 260-280 yards down the fairway...

But don't worry, that game had its share of luck Friday. You make for a good challenge and that's why I played that good.

But I agree with you... addictive, frustrating, enjoyable, gratifying and very humbling are all words to describe the game. As a proof, lots of people have joined the Club and the Tour...
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    The year I got married (2000) Northlands Golf Course, North Vancouver, BC w/ my best man, father-in-law. Almost fell head first into the pond on the first. Have been addicted ever since although now I stay away from the water.

Putter Gieker69 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up hook, slice and putter...

I was 10, one of my best friends had a family membership at Rideau View G&CC. My Dad took me for a quick lesson at Carleton Golf & Yacht (he knew the Pro at the time)...all the Pro told me to do was keep my head down.... 30 minutes later i teed off against my best friend and after 5 hours of not really knowing what was going on i beat my friend and self proclaimed great golfer by 6 strokes!!!
    After 23 years of playing and enjoying the game all over North America....the hardest part is still trying to keep my head down!

There is no other sport like it....the sport all other athletes play!

Amazing Game this stick ball thingee!

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    It was about 1983, 24 years old. A bunch of buddies decided to go golfing after work at the Edgewood, and I elected to go along. I hit a lot of bad shots that felt horrible, but I hit a few shots that made me stare.

My father-in-law was a single digit and he got me a set of clubs and gave me a couple of pointers. Got a membership at the Edgewood the following year. Haven't stopped trying yet.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar

Cool Many moons ago...

I was given a hand-me-down set of clubs when I was 12. They were pretty much blades with fake wood on the shafts. I bought a 2 wood and a putter at K-Mart, and I was off. Playing with found balls, I would hit shot after shot, not knowing what I was doing, under the power lines, and picking the balls up, doing it again and again.

I played a little over the next 20 years, playing 2-3 rounds a year, never breaking 100, and having long outgrown the clubs.

When I moved to Ottawa just over seven years ago, the clubs gathered dust until the summer of 98 when I got invited out to a work tournament. The hook was set, and that fall at the second work tournament, I was reeled back in. The set and match was my wife, who had never played before, went to her work tournament, and came back announcing that she really enjoyed it and would like to learn.

We bought each other clubs for Christmas, went to the OAC over the winter, and although she still only plays a few rounds a year, I now get out every chance I get. I set two milestones that first year, breaking 100 and then 90. Since then I have knocked off several strokes a year, and am poised to finally break 80, hopefully this year.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

8 Iron stanley is on a distinguished road

Wink

It was three years ago this Spring, which is actually when I started to play. My Dad played in his youth, but never got me into it.

When I met my girlfriend, she had clubs and played, and got me into it. So I bought some, and eventually got hooked. She's regretted it ever since.

Oh yeah, broke 100 in my second year, and looking to break 90 this year.
    Last edited by stanley; 04-24-2003 at 12:32 PM.

The couple that golfs together stays together!
    my newest conquest:

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Does that apply when golfing with your wife??

Originally posted by Dan Kilbank
    Does that apply when golfing with your wife??
    Hmmm... well, I guess it could if the two of you still get along together... but it definitely does with the beer cart girls!
    my newest conquest:

Ty Webb
    My girlfriend at the time (current wife) once dated a scratch golfer and she played in the nineties. Being a hockey/football player, I always thought that golf was boring.

My girlfriend (ah, the power of the woman) brought me to the driving range. I was surprised that I couldn't hit a ball that was sitting still! I took a few lessons but still stank. Finally I went to the course. I was the Raceview 9 hole. I played terrible. However, on the 8th (a par 3) I hit the drive 3 feet from the hole. I was addicted. (I still 3 putted)

Kind of like going to the bar when I was younger. I would go every Friday hoping to score. Once in a while, i would and kept going back. This is my fourth year and I shoot in the 110 range. I keep trying and love it.

Ty

Putter NewOGolfer is on a distinguished road

Talking Hey folks !!

I've started playing this game back when I was 15...with those long summers with no work (weren't those the days) I had to fill in my time with something..something that would keep me out of trouble ! So having a backgroud in hockey...and seeing the local club offering free lessons to junior members...i decided to try it out. For the first couple years..you couldn't tear me away from a course...I haven't been able to play it as much as I'd like in the last few years..but have recently gotten back into it since moving to Ottawa..and I find this site to be great assistance in getting back into it. Kudos to this site !!! Have a good season everyone !

4 Iron ShaneOttawa is on a distinguished road

Re: When did you first get hooked on golf?

Played a few times in the summer when I was 16 and 17 ('81, 82) thanks to some relatives, their borrowed clubs, and a very inexpensive golf course in rural Manitoba. Didn't play again till I was 20 or so, and played or hit balls maybe 15 times total up to 1995. That year I worked on a special project with some golf fanatics and decided when the project was over that I wanted a new pastime. My gf/spouse and I signed up for group lessons at the 19th Tee, I bought my first clubs/shoes, and we've been happily playing and getting better ever since.

Driver natgolfer is on a distinguished road
    42 years ago my dad was browsing through The Ottawa Journal(old enough to remember it???), saw lessons at the YWCA from Earl Stimpson, took 16 weekly lessons during the winter and then we started to play the next spring.

Played first round ever at the Capital Golf Gardens and a week later at the Glenlea. Scored 101.

Played hundreds of games with my mom and dad over the years, something which I appreciate even more today, now that they are both gone.

Thread Information