100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar

Club-builder questions

I am starting to build my own clubs and did a lot of reading lately. I understand the freq matching of shaft, the spining of shaft and this new one curvature matching. There is one thing actually many things that I don't understand and can't find any better place than here to ask. When you look at the specs on a shaft (graf or steel) they always have the following on them and I would like those explained to me in a language that I will understand so don't go to technical on me.
    1-Tip stiffness: Med/firm, soft and med. What is the difference and what will be the outcome difference would be.

2- Bend point: low, mid, mid/high. Again the diff and the outcome diff.

3- Torque: what is the difference with using a low torque shaft versus an higher torque one.

4- Weight:

I am trying to understand all those as they seem important in building yourself a proper fitted set of clubs for yourself and your friends. If you understand those then in my opinion you can make a better choice and actually get the results that you want or your friend want.

Thanks for the help.If you have links that explain those please feel free to give me a PM or answer here.

Claude

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I would suggest you get the book search for the perfect club by Tom wishon. It will answer most of your questions. In the meantime read note 36 on shaft torque:
    http://www.wishongolf.com/tech_talk/...answers_page2/
    Mahatma Gandhi

Mahatma Gandhi

Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    From the TT site:
    The actual point on the shaft where the bend point is located is only a couple inches difference between a low and high bend point. The extremes of BP/KP may be a couple of inches but the averages are a lot less. While the marketers suggest that BP/KP are REALLY important, the truth is they are of little importance. Notice that they say that a high BP MAY affect trajectory. If it was really important, it would say that it definitely affects trajectory. The differences are very subtle.

TT also said this:Bend point, kick point, and flex point all mean the same thing. This is not true. Yes, the shaft bends. No, it does not suddenly KICK into the ball projecting the ball 300 yards down the fairway. It should also be noted that to find a bend point, equal forces are applied to both ends of the shaft and the point of highest bending is called the ______ (you choose) However, in a real golf swing the weight of the club helps to apply one force and your transition speed and technique helps to apply another at the other end. As these two forces are NOT EQUAL, the shaft will have a point of maximum bending at a different location. What is the difference in trajectory between a high BP shaft and a low BP? You might notice. What you will notice is a different FEEL at impact.

Keep in mind that TT is a marketing company.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    From the TT site:
    The actual point on the shaft where the bend point is located is only a couple inches difference between a low and high bend point. The extremes of BP/KP may be a couple of inches but the averages are a lot less. While the marketers suggest that BP/KP are REALLY important, the truth is they are of little importance. Notice that they say that a high BP MAY affect trajectory. If it was really important, it would say that it definitely affects trajectory. The differences are very subtle.

TT also said this:Bend point, kick point, and flex point all mean the same thing. This is not true. Yes, the shaft bends. No, it does not suddenly KICK into the ball projecting the ball 300 yards down the fairway. It should also be noted that to find a bend point, equal forces are applied to both ends of the shaft and the point of highest bending is called the ______ (you choose) However, in a real golf swing the weight of the club helps to apply one force and your transition speed and technique helps to apply another at the other end. As these two forces are NOT EQUAL, the shaft will have a point of maximum bending at a different location. What is the difference in trajectory between a high BP shaft and a low BP? You might notice. What you will notice is a different FEEL at impact.

They use the term to make it user friendly and to make it dummy proof. IMO club loft is still the main factor and there are variables such has tolerances and centre of gravity etc and mainly how the club is swung. Do you have one of these?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by challengegolf View Post
    I am starting to build my own clubs and did a lot of reading lately......I am trying to understand all those as they seem important in building yourself a proper fitted set of clubs for yourself and your friends. If you understand those then in my opinion you can make a better choice and actually get the results that you want or your friend want.
    Depending on your information sources the importance of various fitting factors may be exaggerated. Sure, the sum of all MAY be of importance, but there are only a few that will change the ball flight in any significant way, IMO.
    -club length
    -club head lie angle
    -club head loft
    -find a shaft within the golfers swing speed range and has a bend profile that matches the golfers swing characteristics.
    -shaft colour (It is important to some)

You are 98% there.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I didn't read Chief's links, but did read BC's post. And I have to agree with him. I've played shafts with high BPs and shafts with low BPs and didn't see much difference in terms of ball flight. Where I do notice a difference is when I try shafts with soft tips or a stiff tip shaft. I really like shafts with softer tips, I get more feel, and find I get a nicer trajectory. But like always, those are my preferences, others may prefer a stiffer tipped shaft which will lower trajectory, but those players are probably high swing speed players. Stiff tip shafts tend to work better for them.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

They use the term to make it user friendly and to make it dummy proof. IMO club loft is still the main factor and there are variables such has tolerances and centre of gravity etc and mainly how the club is swung. Do you have one of these?
    The assumption that we are all dummies is insulting.

You are right in that club head loft is important, AND, that how the club is swung is the most important factor in club performance. How does one convince the "buy a better game" golfers of this?

The assumption that we are all dummies is insulting.

You are right in that club head loft is important, AND, that how the club is swung is the most important factor in club performance. How does one convince the "buy a better game" golfers of this?
    Not insulting. Maybe I just used the wrong term. You can purchase windows for dummies. Claude is asking for ''
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]I would like those explained to me in a language that I will understand so don't go to technical on me[/COLOR].''
    Sure you can't buy a better game but wouldn't you do a better job with a drill press instead of a hand drill?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    I didn't read Chief's links, but did read BC's post. And I have to agree with him. I've played shafts with high BPs and shafts with low BPs and didn't see much difference in terms of ball flight. Where I do notice a difference is when I try shafts with soft tips or a stiff tip shaft. I really like shafts with softer tips, I get more feel, and find I get a nicer trajectory. But like always, those are my preferences, others may prefer a stiffer tipped shaft which will lower trajectory, but those players are probably high swing speed players. Stiff tip shafts tend to work better for them.

Other thread time. Clubhead configuration vs shaft characteristics
    Mahatma Gandhi

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar
    Thansk for all the help, sure is a lot to read through but that's what I was looking for and once again Andre and BC delivered.
    Thanks again guys.
    Claude

Sure you can't buy a better game but wouldn't you do a better job with a drill press instead of a hand drill?
    Yes, but the analogy is not the best. The job (a good golf shot) is as good for me with a UST V-2 "A" flex as it is with an Accuflex Evolution "S" flex. The feel of the former is better. When I drill a hole in a piece of wood I don't care how it feels.

[QUOTE=BC MIST;148785 When I drill a hole in a piece of wood I don't care how it feels.[/QUOTE]

A perfect hole for a perfect job. Personally I don't care about feel nor looks nor sound. All I care about is the END RESULT
    Mahatma Gandhi

From the TT site:

Just for you BC: Kick point and bend point explained
    http://12.106.66.20/Dynacraft/graphi...dechapter6.pdf
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information