100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road

Identification mark on ball

Is it permitted to have a Condition of Competition requiring players to mark their balls and show the mark(s) to the starter before teeing off?

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road

my guess

yeah , match committee sets the conditions of entry ...so id say yes

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I don't think its required. But it is a safe way to avoid a situation where someone disputes whether that is your ball or not.. I believe anyone can declair a ball to be theirs.. Thats were the integrity of the game comes into play. Not 100% on this. Someone will chime in I am sure.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Rule 12-2 states, "Each player should put an identification mark on his ball", and I'm fairly certain that the PGA Tour "hard card" requires their players to follow the procedure. I can't see it being an issue, but it could get confusing because a lot of players use similar markings, and there's no "one ball" rule in the book.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Pig of the Year 07,08 rpangman is on a distinguished road rpangman's Avatar
    If you have ever played "cross country" golf with 8 guys in each group; you will know the importance of clearly marking your ball.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rpangman View Post
    If you have ever played "cross country" golf with 8 guys in each group; you will know the importance of clearly marking your ball.
    Ronnie what is the "Cross Country Golf" you hillbillies play down there at PVGC?

As for marking your ball, never leave the first tee without it being marked. I play with two guys who do not mark theirs, both playing PRO V's and they hit drives in the same spot and have to figure out what # they had on their balls! I keep telling them "Would it not be easier just to mark your balls?" Still doesn't get done! One of these days it will cost them strokes!

My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Golf Pig of the Year 07,08 rpangman is on a distinguished road rpangman's Avatar
    If you have never played "Cross Country" golf, you are mising out on some fun. We usually start on 1 tee and go to 8 green, 15 tee to 10 green etc. You are hitting shots from some pretty strange places without knowing what the yardage is. Of course, at PVG&CC, there is also an enormous amount of beer consumed.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    For those of us unframilliar with the course you play, It sounds like you mean to just play by line of sight to the next visible green? That could be fun on a closed course.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Yes, our greenskeeper runs it as an annual event. The course is closed for the day. It usually takes place in late October when it wouldn't be too busy anyway.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rpangman View Post
    Yes, our greenskeeper runs it as an annual event. The course is closed for the day. It usually takes place in late October when it wouldn't be too busy anyway.

I won't comment on the course not being busy Ronnie!

As for Cross Country Golf, apparently you have not played in a Paint Shop Layoff Open. We have guys who think they are playing Cross Country Golf, when we really are not playing that game

How is the weather down south? Got cold here overnight, -7C. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. No more golf for awhile
    Oh wait, Saturday is supposed to have a high of 6-7C, Airport Course here we come!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

7 Iron jayda is on a distinguished road jayda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycameron View Post
    I don't think its required. But it is a safe way to avoid a situation where someone disputes whether that is your ball or not.. I believe anyone can declair a ball to be theirs.. Thats were the integrity of the game comes into play. Not 100% on this. Someone will chime in I am sure.
    no, it's NOT against the rule for not marking a ball

just saw it last week during the Mercedez Championship: KJ Choi lost his ball in the fescue but found it (no mark), the head official (Slugger White) allowed him to play without penalty. Anyone else recall that incident?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jayda View Post
    no, it's NOT against the rule for not marking a ball,
    True, but. If there are two golf balls, in similar condition, in the same vicinity, how do you know which one is yours? You do not. Therefore, your ball is lost. Go back to the tee.

Cheaters do NOT mark their golf ball so that they can slip one down their pant leg, if need be.

7 Iron jayda is on a distinguished road jayda's Avatar
    I was just answering to the original post:
    "Is it permitted to have a Condition of Competition requiring players to mark their balls and show the mark(s) to the starter before teeing off?"

what's the chance that you will find "two golf balls, in similar condition, in the same vicinity" in a tournament? (beside in one's pant - Oops I mean pocket, LOL)

JK, but you are right, if that happen, you will have to declare your ball lost. Remember that golf is a game of honesty...

Thread Information