• I would take one if someone would give me one

20 31.25%
  • I GOTTA HAVE THEM ALL!!!!!!

9 14.06%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar

Question Cult or Golf Club

C'mon folks, it's just a brand of putter. I can't believe the level of obsession that is being built up around this golf club.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    Same can be said for anything that has a following ... why have a nice car when a dumpy one will get you there...why have a nice home when one 1/2 hte price will do just as well for keeping you warm and sheltered ... does anyone need a 60 inch plasma, corvette, name brand golf clubs, etc etc ... of course not.

I really have no idea as to what all the fuss is about the Scotty fans ... there have been a lot of posts about the price (including ebay listing postings etc etc) but in the end it's one thing in a very very long list of things that are collected and sought after by many people. It's no different than collecting aniques, paintings, stamps, coins, cars, watches, clothing etc etc (hell some might call people crazy for fertilizing and watering their lawn, or having an awuarium worth a few grand) to each their own, everyone has something they like to spend their $$ on
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    i would own em all if i could... some of them are just beautiful looking. and the garage models, the hand made ones are awesome...

as to what makes them better the rest? dunno really. when tiger was asked if he would ever consider switching putters he replied, no i will never switch putters, yes i have been given putters to try that have felt alot better then my scotty, but when it comes down the pressure i know i can trust my newport.

simple as that...

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I am not even going to weigh in on this one.. I am tired of the threads relating to this topic. At the end of the day for me, I love the stuff.. A lot of it is an investment. There is a reason why this stuff holds its value like nothing else. And in a lot of cases increases in value. Like a lot of things cleaver marketing plays a big roll.. and for that I tip my cap, yeah a scotty cap at that
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams View Post
    Same can be said for anything that has a following ... why have a nice car when a dumpy one will get you there...why have a nice home when one 1/2 hte price will do just as well for keeping you warm and sheltered ... does anyone need a 60 inch plasma, corvette, name brand golf clubs, etc etc ... of course not.

I really have no idea as to what all the fuss is about the Scotty fans ... there have been a lot of posts about the price (including ebay listing postings etc etc) but in the end it's one thing in a very very long list of things that are collected and sought after by many people. It's no different than collecting aniques, paintings, stamps, coins, cars, watches, clothing etc etc (hell some might call people crazy for fertilizing and watering their lawn, or having an awuarium worth a few grand) to each their own, everyone has something they like to spend their $$ on
    Absolutely. There has just been an increase of Scotty related posts on this forum, Scotty Clubs, Scotty Hats, even the headcovers are selling for big bucks. And Dan even called it the "Dark Side". You don't see guys go crazy for the TM Quad (I'm wondering what a headcover for that may be worth).

I'm not saying it's wrong, it's a personal choice, and it's not mine. Personally I would like to see a Scotty sub-forum off of OEM and then have the option not to see the posts when I search, that's all.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Another sub-forum would be sweet. There are def. a lot of scotty related topics here.. And a growing number of Scotty fans.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I disagree with the above. The items you mentioned above have purpose, an Audi has many features whether it be safety or performance that say a Hyundai Accent does not. They both get you where you are going that is true, but the performance, amenities, etc are different. Do you need a 60 inch plasma? No, but a 60 inch plasma has many more features than say a 27 inch CRT television.

It's no different than collecting aniques, paintings, stamps, coins, cars, watches, clothing etc etc (hell some might call people crazy for fertilizing and watering their lawn, or having an aquarium worth a few grand) to each their own, everyone has something they like to spend their $$ on
    This part I do agree with, if you are buying the putter(s)/accessories because it/they are collectibles, then you have clearly justified buying it. If you want your name engraved or you want it customized to be specifically yours and one of a kind, then that too is very much understandable. But to me trying to find a putter which improves my game is very difficult task, and although I find the Camerons to look very nice, I have not found one that I was comfortable enough over to consider it superior to any other putter I have tried strictly based on performance (personal performance that is).

Edit: I just want to add that I still think their custom shop does an amazing job after looking at Spacklers club in the "Fedex is Santa" thread.
    Last edited by hoolio; 01-03-2007 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Oh, a little addition
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

much of this scotty posting is from Lance (scottycameron) anyways you need your own sub-section there buddy!

LOL.. set it up new moderator guy!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I agree with the sub section as well!!

[QUOTE=hoolio;147742]I disagree with the above. The items you mentioned above have purpose, an Audi has many features whether it be safety or performance that say a Hyundai Accent does not. They both get you where you are going that is true, but the performance, amenities, etc are different. Do you need a 60 inch plasma? No, but a 60 inch plasma has many more features than say a 27 inch CRT television.

Though everyone may not agree.. Scotty putters are made out of superior materials, and with far superior R&D.. I will argue all day that a Scotty putter is better than a 50 dollar Spalding.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    OK. A new forum is no problem.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by scottycameron View Post
    Though everyone may not agree.. Scotty putters are made out of superior materials, and with far superior R&D.. I will argue all day that a Scotty putter is better than a 50 dollar Spalding.
    I will agree with that wholeheartedly. I believe strongly in cost benefits. Is spending the extra 2-300 going to shave off enough strokes in a round to justify the expense? I think it's more the indian than the arrows. I would rather take that 2-300 and get some good lessons.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    I will agree with that wholeheartedly. I believe strongly in cost benefits. Is spending the extra 2-300 going to shave off enough strokes in a round to justify the expense? I think it's more the indian than the arrows. I would rather take that 2-300 and get some good lessons.
    I def. agree with some of your points here.. For me its whatever gets it done for me. Since I have been using my current putter (and yes over a year) I have putted the best of my life. Had a great year with some big wins. For me it happnes to be a Scotty.. If I putted better with something else then so be it. But the look and feel are unmatched thus far. So in my case it happens to be a Scotty.. Also isn't the short game the most important part of the game.. ? Whatever it takes to get it done. I guess I lied about not weighing in on the topic lol.

Also with the expection of some really low end putters.. The price of putters is up these days.. And for the most part you are going to spend 100-150 more for a Scotty.. And in some cases no more new Ping and Nike putters are both in the 330 range.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    And I won't disagree with you on the quality or craftsmanship. All I'm saying is that from a purely performance based standpoint, it is only technically a better putter if it helps you make more putts. Where as the items I mentioned can have the performance aspects measured and quantified, that seems to be a little more difficult with a putter due to the human factor.

My personal opinion is that when it comes to putting, you have to have be comfortable over whatever stick is in your hands. If you are more comfortable with a $50 Spalding and therefore sink more putts with it, is it in fact a worse putter? (cue the inevitable "Yes")

If you buy a Scotty, are comfortable and generally make less putts, or even gain a sense of confidence then it is worth every dollar. But the same can be said about any putter and it just happens that there aren't that many cult-like posts about other putters. I think that is why some people (myself included) see the posts and wonder "What's the big deal?".
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    And I won't disagree with you on the quality or craftsmanship. All I'm saying is that from a purely performance based standpoint, it is only technically a better putter if it helps you make more putts. Where as the items I mentioned can have the performance aspects measured and quantified, that seems to be a little more difficult with a putter due to the human factor.

My personal opinion is that when it comes to putting, you have to have be comfortable over whatever stick is in your hands. If you are more comfortable with a $50 Spalding and therefore sink more putts with it, is it in fact a worse putter? (cue the inevitable "Yes")

If you buy a Scotty, are comfortable and generally make less putts, or even gain a sense of confidence then it is worth every dollar. But the same can be said about any putter and it just happens that there aren't that many cult-like posts about other putters. I think that is why some people (myself included) see the posts and wonder "What's the big deal?".

Agreed.. whatever gets the ball in the hole.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I respect people with passion about something. It may not be my thing to spend big bucks on golf equipment but then again I'm into coins and gems so there's not a lot to go around after buying those. I think it's nice to hear about the love and knowledge certain people have about scotty putters and I don't feel it's an issue to have the threads right with all the other threads, we all know that some of those other threads are a lot more inane that any thread about a great maker of putters

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213 View Post
    I respect people with passion about something. It may not be my thing to spend big bucks on golf equipment but then again I'm into coins and gems so there's not a lot to go around after buying those. I think it's nice to hear about the love and knowledge certain people have about scotty putters and I don't feel it's an issue to have the threads right with all the other threads, we all know that some of those other threads are a lot more inane that any thread about a great maker of putters
    I couldn't agree more with this post.. But it seems some people have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to this topic. It will be nice to have a seperate section where these people don't have to go.. No offence Richard but I think you need your ouw section lol.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

Smile Who's bringing the cool-aid?

Cult for sure.

I gotta call you on the investment thing though scotty. If you are constantly buying and selling/trading putters, how is that an investment? You never own one long enough for it to appreciate in value. I believe you have claimed to own a single putter more than once , have you not? Sounds more like an addiction to me.

And the $120 towel is just plain ridiculous. What's the thread count in that baby?

As people have said, whatever puts the ball in the hole.

Just my 2¢

BTW I voted for Scotty Who? In your defense (the scotty lovers out there) I don't think Colby gave you much in the way of degrees of Scotty lovin'. Big difference between "Oh I guess I will take it, if it's free" to "OOOOHH MY PRECIOUSSSSSS" ;-)
    Last edited by GarthM; 01-03-2007 at 04:07 PM. Reason: afterthoughts....

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    it's a cult. There is no way a towel is worth $120 or a headcover $200 - so it obviously rises above common sense.

That being said, I own a Studio Style and while I like it, I also like my Rossa. I do see the beauty in a lot of their putters and there is a certain mystique about them. I do agree a lot of golf is having confidence in what is in your hands and if that means a $400 putter then so be it.

The OTR putters are not so much an investment but a lot of the other putters are.. For instance though they have cooled off.. When the Napa Valleys came out if you could get one they sold for 499.. On ebay they were bringing 700+ and are still bringing in over OEM dealer prices.. Other putters like the holiday that are limited to 500 bring in top dollar and appreciate over the years.. I didn't say that mine increased in value, I would have to keep them for more than a month.. That being said my current gamer was in the bag for the full season last year and reamins there for the comming season. Also 125 for a towel is crazy but the towels didn't retail for that

One other thought.. All headcovers when released (discluding CT covers and special envent) cost 72 dollars. For those lucky enough to get one of the 100 CL Vegad covers where getting upwards of 800 for them. Or those who paid 72 for the shamrock are still getting 250+ and increasing.. Not a bad investment I would say.

One other thought.. All headcovers when released (discluding CT covers and special envent) cost 72 dollars. For those lucky enough to get one of the 100 CL Vegad covers where getting upwards of 800 for them. Or those who paid 72 for the shamrock are still getting 250+ and increasing.. Not a bad investment I would say.
    right and it just reinforces my point about it being a cult (for those that spend $800 on a headcover).

Cult or Collectors.. I guess same difference. But I don't see it any different then collecting something like coins.

or baseball cards - I'll never get that one....no difference whatsoever...it's just that the other things we don't actually think will improve out game ;-)

Where is Edmonton golfer these days?? He would surely have something to say in this regard. He is an anti-scotty guy.. And by all means everyone is entitlted to their own opinion. But I haven't seen him lately?

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Cult or Collectors.. I guess same difference. But I don't see it any different then collecting something like coins.
    ....There really isn't a difference outside of the fact that there's a lot more coin collectors than there are scotty collectors. I use the money that I make brokering coin and gem sales to pay for my golf and practice. Viva le (non)difference I also get to feel good about saving people big bucks on these items.

Very nice ironmaster.. Though I am not one of them at this point, a lot of people make good money flipping cameron stuff.

if i could afford a $800 heacover, or a 7,000 garage model i would i a second. some people collect "basball cards" i try and collect putters, but not just any putter, the greatest one of all

Thread Information