100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Back swing

Putter ryan_99 is on a distinguished road

Back swing

HI guys,

I love golf, and i know of one thing that i do wrong or not enough is my back swing goes back probably 70-75% when it should be going 100% roughly horizontal to the ground. I still get about 225yrds with a 3 wood, but i dont use a 1wood so i need more distance. Do i just have to go to the range and slowly get my swing all the way back. Or is lessons the way to fix this?????????? The scary thing is, is that i hit it dead straight right now and im scared to mess with it. WHat do you guys and gals think

Thanks

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    I wouldn't change a thing.

Most amateur golfers swing too hard, with a backswing that is too fast and too long. I've spent most of the winter at the Falcon Ridge Golf School working on cutting down on the backswing, and listening to the golf pros advising others to do the same.

Straight is better than long. If you hit a 3-wood for 225 yards and straight, you're doing just fine.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Putter ryan_99 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for that reply,

I guess i better practice with a 1 wood for all those par 5's.

Thanks again Tigre

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road

good advice

Ryan - my two cents worth - I couldn't agree more with el tigre.
    Golf is a game of long & straight, but straight beats long every time.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

Smile over the top

My swing is waaaayyyy over the top. If you don't connect perfectly, you are in deep trouble. El Tigre has seen my swing, and it's a little long on the backside.... but for me it works, and long too. My advice, and I do agree with Mr. Shank as well, is to keep it straight.... unless you have a horseshoe up your butt like me and get away with it.

Ty Webb
    I had the same problem. Three-quarter backswing and the ball went dead straight. The male ego kicked in and I wanted to hit it longer. Increasing my backswing has caused me to now slice the ball. I am now trying to fix the slice.

TY

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

flexibility

Flexibility also has a lot to do with it. Some people are just like rubber bands while others are well not as flexible. Like el tigre said 225 with a 3 wood is pretty decent. If you want you can try making it just a bit longer and see the results for yourself.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

left arm

Which brings me to another topic. The very flexible fellow will have no trouble keeping his left arm straight while the not so flexible will have to bend it. try this little experiment. Stand up and touch either shoulder with your middle finger. If you have an easy time doing it you are pretty flexible. I guess I belong to the not so lucky ones.

Thread Information