CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge Tonx is on a distinguished road

As 1 thing gets better, another gets worse...

Gday all!

At the moment, I'm finding that while my Long tee shots are becomming straighter and straighter, (almost to the stage that I rarely shank a drive anymore) My Irons are becomming worse and worse.

My Swing is becomming smoother the more I practise and play, and I find it easy to square the head with my driver, yet when I swing my Irons, I get a pull or hook now, where previously I wasn't.

As I understand it, an offset driver gives a draw bias, and I'm wondering if the same (logically) goes with irons, and because my woods aren't offset, this is the reason that I'm hooking my offset irons?

I find my problem is generally amplified with my 6 and 7 iron, almost to the point that I'm scared to use them when required for fear of poor result.

Am I on the right track, and should I be getting Irons with less offset?

Thanks for your replies

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    At the moment, I'm finding that while my Long tee shots are becomming straighter and straighter, (almost to the stage that I rarely shank a drive anymore) My Irons are becomming worse and worse.
    My Swing is becomming smoother the more I practise and play, and I find it easy to square the head with my driver, yet when I swing my Irons, I get a pull or hook now, where previously I wasn't.
    s I understand it, an offset driver gives a draw bias, and I'm wondering if the same (logically) goes with irons, and because my woods aren't offset, this is the reason that I'm hooking my offset irons? I find my problem is generally amplified with my 6 and 7 iron, almost to the point that I'm scared to use them when required for fear of poor result.
    1. Keep working on the smooth tempo.

2. If your ball starts straight or slightly right of target line, do not change your swing. However,the club face position may need to change. The offset heads will encourage a shot to go left so if it is feasible, get irons with minimal offset.

3. If any shots start left, (pull/pull hook/left to right slice)you have an obvious over the top motion that will require a fair amount of work to overcome.

4. I'm scared to use them when required for fear of poor result. This may be the reason for the crooked shots. Once you develop FEAR you will never lose it, but will only be able to control it. Changing irons may help a little but eliminating the over the top motion is essential for hitting straighter shots and acquiring the confidence in your self to control the fear that you have.

5. Most problems can be overcome by working on achieving a better swing than by spending too much time and money altering your equipment.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Being a reformed over the top swinger, sounds like a swing plane issue as BC mentioned. The longer clubs tend to exacerbate swing flaws, hence by slowing down your swing you have managed to allow your hands to compensate and square up the club face in time for your driver. But for shorter clubs you are now most likely closing the club face too much (relative to your swing plane). Once you learn to swing on a correct plane the whole issue of manipulating your hands to square the club face disappears. Before you spend another dime on clubs and being worried about offset, etc., find a good pro and start taking lessons.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Thread Information