CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar

Apple MacBook Pro

Just out of curiosity does anyone on this site use an Apple MacBook Pro?

I'm thinking about buying one and just wanted to hear first hand about someones experience with it... im thinkin of buying the 15.4'' not the 17''

any coments are greatly appreciated

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I will ask them, but my son and hubby both have the 17inch and think they are fantastic.

when did they get them?

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    They ordered the first ones when they came out. Now my husband has upgraded to the core 2 duo version. He says that he runs windows XP on it also using Parallels. I hope another one doesn't come out too soon.

He says it is as fast or faster than anything else out there, and no more expensive. Mac os x is very pleasant to use, and turns on and off very quickly just opening and closing the lid.

He has had many notebooks but this one is by far his favourite. I like the fun pictures that it can take too

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Naughty machine

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    My roommate has got one and loves it. From my minimal experiences with it, its a pretty cool machine. I'll get a more in depth review from him when I see him in a week or so.

so the verdict right now is its pretty good then... i just wanted some feedback before i go out and spend $2500 on a new laptop...

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar
    I just got lone about 3 weeks ago. I went with the 15.4 inch screen. This laptop is phenomenal! I would never buy another non Apple laptop. I had no previous apple experience and it was pretty easy to get use to OS X. It is rock solid.

I don't know if you're already a mac user, but if you aren't, do NOT worry about the switch over to Mac. They're a piece of cake to use. A lot of the computers on campus at UVic are Macs, and they're a breeze to use, despite the fact that I don't use Macs, and I'm a computer doofus. My next laptop (which I'm not getting until my Dell explodes or I finally get in on one of Donny's stocks) is definitely going to be a Mac Book....not cuz I need it, just cuz its cool.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    The software that comes pre-installed is awesome! iPhoto is great for keeping all those digital photos in order and each piece of software is fully integrated into the others so if you want to e-mail a photo, or put a picture into a movie (iMovie) or create an iDVD with movies and photos it is really easy and very intuitive.

niceness.... thanks alot guys... no ive never used a mac before, but i heard good things, and from what youve all said youve helped me make up my mind

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I think the only downside of Mac is if you're into any kind of gaming. I'm pretty sure there aren't many games for the Mac like Tiger Woods or the EA sports games that I'll tend to play when I'm bored.

true, but if you get the core duo system, and set up xp on it, I *believe* you can then run games on it.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    true, but if you get the core duo system, and set up xp on it, I *believe* you can then run games on it.
    You can indeed. And the benchmark performance reviews that i've read regarding XP on the dual-boot Mac show only a very faint performance drop (3-5%) over a standard windows based machine.

You won't see any stellar frame rates due to the X1600 graphics chip, but I don't imagine its being purchased to be a gaming powerhouse. The Core 2 Duo chips are no slouch and will should let you run most games at decent settings though at regular resolutions.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    You can indeed. And the benchmark performance reviews that i've read regarding XP on the dual-boot Mac show only a very faint performance drop (3-5%) over a standard windows based machine.

You won't see any stellar frame rates due to the X1600 graphics chip, but I don't imagine its being purchased to be a gaming powerhouse. The Core 2 Duo chips are no slouch and will should let you run most games at decent settings though at regular resolutions.

I don't think that any notebooks come with a video card that will compare to what you can buy for desktop, but Dell has a couple that would perform well for gaming if you wanted to use your notebook for multiple tasks.

I'm not a gamer anyways... i have my tiger woods on my PS2, thats as far into video games as i go...

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    I'm not a gamer anyways... i have my tiger woods on my PS2, thats as far into video games as i go...
    I'm not much of a gamer either, but I do load up some of the sports games I've mentioned above once in a while.

I'm sure the Apple notebook could handle those games with ease though. It's not like they are resource hogs or anything.

Thread Information