Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
I went to the YS9 about a year ago, and it wasn't before I had gone through about 4 or 5 other shafts. Specifically, I had huge problems with the Grafalloy Blue and the Aldila NV and NVS. Why was that? My bad golf swing that I put on JUST those shafts? And then I made good swings with the YS9. I just can't believe that. It doesn't make sense. It wasn't the distance that was affected, but the direction. They all felt fine. But the YS9 was easily the best of them all.

So, can you explain that? I just have a hard time believing that I would "change" my swing because the shaft felt different. When you're swinging about 115mph, it's hard to "change" anything.

I know that you believe Tom Wishon, and for the most part so do I. Especially about the graphite shafts not losing their consistency. But for players with higher-than-average swing speeds (110 mph +), it does make a difference what shaft you play. As the swing speed decreases, so does the reliance on a specific shaft.
Question: In looking at the Graphite Design website they have a YS5+, YS6+, YS7+ series of shafts, but no YS9's that you mentioned above. Where did you get your YS9?

From your info above you have concluded that with all the shafts that you tried there was no difference in distance, which confirms part of my "horrible" theory that flex does not affect distance in particular, and direction. Most golfers believe and salesman sell the fact that a softer shaft produces longer shots. If this was true every golfer would be playing the most flexible shaft possible in order to get mote distance. This, of course, is horse feathers.

My explanation of your increase in accuracy with the YS9 is this: I have none. I can only guess and I won't, but obviously, if you feel that your swings are identical regardless of the shaft installed, there is another factor at play that causes your accuracy to go up. What do you think it is? Did you or your club maker do any measuring of the stiffness of the shafts that you tried, to see if that said anything? The label on the shaft is meaningless, so there has to be something measurable, that caused the difference.

In an above post I conceded that HOW you swing down at the transition would have some affect on what shaft you should have. With a fast transition a stiffer tipped shaft is best and one that has a swing speed rating at the lower end of your 115 mph range. If I was young and strong instead of old and weak and could muster 115 mph, my shaft would be much more flexible in the butt than yours and at the lower end of the 105 to 115 mph range.
Now, a friend of mine creates more lag than Ben Hogan or Sergio Garcia ever did/does, and yet I out drive him all the time. He still needs a much stiffer butt than me, even though my SS is higher than his. My point is I don't think that it is the high swing speed that is significant but HOW you swing.