CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge Tonx is on a distinguished road

Clone clubs- are they the real deal?

Are they as advertised?

I've got a chance to pick up some custom Nike sq and slingshots clones at the right rate, and wanna know if there is any risk with going the clones...

They look the real deal, are made on the same machines as the more expensive originals, by the same guy, but are they seconds, or just another option?

Let me know!

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    from my experience with clones / knockoffs. they sometimes look like the real deal, but more often than not they are made of completly different materials therefore producing completly differnet feels. sometimes they are made in the same factories are the real things though not to the same degree. golf club production is more or less a percision fabrication, where as knock offs are not made to the same level of detail.

case and point

a customer once comes in with what he believes is a brand new set of Ping I3+. he says he just bought these off the net and wanted them to be fitted. i take a quick look at the clubs and they looked like Ping I3+'s. i then get into conversation with the customer about something completly unrelated to golf and i pick up one of his sticks and i take a look at it, and i say to the guy "you know these are knock offs right?" he was in disbelif. after bringing him a real I3+ to hit he then realized that what he bought was ... so modo of the story, sometimes they look legit / clone but the feel is completly different from the real thing. i dont really know where im going with this after all its 1230am i will probably end up editing this in the morning..

but you see my point? are the SQ's you're gonna pick up NexTi? or are they steel heads that just say NexTi? check that out...

there is never any "risk" with going with a clone expect the heads might chack and fall apart after one shot and cuz they arnt made by nike there isnt a warranty on them, and your outta luck. thats a risk. other than that you know they are fake, and you know that you shouldnt be expecting the same forgivness or feel as the real deal... buying any clone is like buying a set of Jazz or something, dont be expecting performace. all your gonna do is look the part with "NIKEE" clubs in the bag...

anyways rant over time for bed

Thanks for your reply

To give you a quick run down, I started golf about 4 months ago, love the game,
    have had lessons, and my last 3 rounds have been 73, 77 and 78 all off the stick playing as it lies on a par 68

Namely, this one here...

http://golfclubsdownunder.com.au/pro...pID=257&cID=13

It says beta+titanium, and they offer a lifetime warranty on the shafts as well as 12 months on the heads.

They are sold and labeled as their proper brand, so looking the part isnt something im worried about, but rather value for money with a custom fit. If it truely isnt worth it, ill bite the bullet when I upgrade from my cheapy "x-tech" clubs and spend the moolah...

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Tonx - personally I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. With the new Nike SQ2 due out very soon, you should be able to pick up a used original SQ off of eBay for the same money that you would be spending on the knock-off.

Cheers

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    PS... just rememeberd... NIKE SQ are at GT for $225! brand new not demos... they are apparently being discontinued cuz of the new one coming out...

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I have some Callaway Big Bertha 2004 clones and I've hit as many quality and awful shots alike as I have with my Ping I3's. Jarred is right about the feel but if you don't know the feel of normal Callaway who is to say this feel won't suit you? So go try them and get a feel for them. If the price is right then why not if your getting into the game. I know lots of guys thta play well with clone equipment. Just try and get a CLONE looks similar but clearly labeled differently. Knockoff' sare ones that say they are the real thing and they aren't soyour paying for a name. Either way it all depends on your ability, interest in the game, preference. If your new and you like the look and feel go nuts. I think i'ts safe to say your equipment won't be your biggest problem My $0.02

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Clones and counterfeits are not the same thing. If they are look alike cheepies labeled as "SuperStarSwing" or the like, then at least they are not being represented as something they are not. Look alike is easy. Anyone can make a mould.

Play alike is all about the materials used in harmony with the design. Steel does not play the same as Titanium, and a steal head needs to be designed much differently. Therefore steel used in a head mold designed for a Titanium (composite, alloy, or anything other than steel) is far from optimal. It may look like the club, but if a magnet sticks to it...
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    You started playing golf four months ago and your consistently shooting in the 70's?

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    You started playing golf four months ago and your consistently shooting in the 70's?

At my local, yep

I'm a competitive tenpin bowler (I own a forum www.absolutebowling.com ), and the swing plane I use is very similar to the golf swing plane. The biggest difference is the power applied, as I found the harder I try to hit a golf ball, the less distance and direction I have

I did the right thing and spent the money on lessons early, like I encourage newcommers to bowling to do, and I believe that, as well as practise 3 to 4 times per week at the range, as well as putting practise in the loungeroom with a putt returning machine AND reading up on the tips on this as well as a few other golf forums has seen my scores go from a 95 at the start, to consistently under 80 at my local.

Granted its an easier course than others i've played on, (its only a par 68) but ya still gotta put the ball in the hole

To give you an update guys, I ended up biting the bullet and spending the money on a brand new Nike Sasquatch from my local driving range, and I am getting it fitted properly on tuesday next week

Thanks for all your advice!

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dH View Post
    I have some Callaway Big Bertha 2004 clones and I've hit as many quality and awful shots alike as I have with my Ping I3's. Jarred is right about the feel but if you don't know the feel of normal Callaway who is to say this feel won't suit you? So go try them and get a feel for them. If the price is right then why not if your getting into the game. I know lots of guys thta play well with clone equipment. Just try and get a CLONE looks similar but clearly labeled differently. Knockoff' sare ones that say they are the real thing and they aren't soyour paying for a name. Either way it all depends on your ability, interest in the game, preference. If your new and you like the look and feel go nuts. I think i'ts safe to say your equipment won't be your biggest problem My $0.02

I also had a set of Big Bertha clones and was very happy with them. The guy at the shop spent quite a bit of time with me fitting and choosing a shaft. I paid a bit extra for better shafts which is probably more important than the heads. It was the first time I had a set of clubs fitted and highly recommend it. Maybe better golfers can tell the difference between clones and OMEs but I had no complaints.

Thread Information