100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

Re: Y'Aughta Be On Tour

Originally posted by natgolfer
    GarthM,

Of course, 12 under on the greens, but 5 over for the round means that you did not hit many greens in regulation.

Sad but true..only 5 greens in reg, but 9 up and downs and 1 no-putt. Despite that statistic, the greens are still quite smooth and true (otherwise all my chips would have done what they were doing at Champlain last week -- 90 degree turns as soon as they hit the ground!).

GarthM

Hybrid Chris is on a distinguished road Chris's Avatar

Thumbs down Chateau Chartier

Splish!! Splash!!! Man the course was soaking!! The greens did not weather well this year. There was one temporary. IMO, there should have been more. It was hilarious watching the ball bounce and take four or five different directions as it jumped towards the cup... :crying

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Thumbs up Manderley

We played at Manderley on Tuesday (before the rain). It was mich drier than it has been this early in the season in recent years. The greens were all rolling true, not completely grown in, but hey, it's still very early. We also noticed that the sand was in terrific shape on all the holes where we were in it. It seems that new sand has been put in, because this was way nicer than before. With 9 new holes opening this summer, this one is looking good!

Thumbs up Mapleview

Played Mapleview today, and it was in very nice shape. 90% green (I am sure the rain has improved most courses this week). Fastest greens I have seen so far this season, and rolling true. This course has grown in nicely over the last few years.

Pitching Wedge Clutch is on a distinguished road Clutch's Avatar

Thumbs down Cassleview 05/04/03

Sopping wet!!

All holes had temporary tee's. Greens were great however for this time of year. Practise green still had the tarp covering it.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Thumbs up Malone

Both courses were in great shape for this time of year. About 95% dry and totally green. A couple of greens of the East course were in bad shape (3 and 6), a couple on the west still had some brown spots (10 and 14), but most of greens were in great condition.

Best conditions I've played in this spring.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

3 Iron donh is on a distinguished road donh's Avatar

Thumbs up Cloverdale

Played yesterday. First round of the year. Weather was in a word spectacular!!!

Greens are running about 9ish on Stempmeter (I left mine at home. A little wet on the first four/five holes but worth the drive from Kanata...

Fairways are in ok shape ... should green up nicely...
    Last edited by donh; 05-07-2003 at 11:47 AM.
    Thanks for the screen-time.

8 Iron stanley is on a distinguished road

anyone?

anyone played or heard about Chateau Cartier since Chris played it?

I'm playing there Saturday, hopefully the conditions have shaped up.

stan

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

Chateau Cartier

I talked to a friend who played it yesterday and he said that it is still soaked and the greens are fairly bumpy....

I haven't seen it for myself yet but I trust my friends' opinion.

BTW I'm playing Mont Cascades this afternoon and the course is offering green fees for $20 +tax on weekdays and $25 +tax on weekends. Very dry (even with the rain we just had) and 1 temporary green (#5). A must play, especially if you went to the golf show and have your free pass!

thanks Shtick

Sand Wedge LionsRoar is on a distinguished road

Meadows

Played Meadows (North/West) on Sunday and it was in really nice shape. A couple of wet fairways, but that's to be expected with all the recent rain. Greens were good and consistent for this time of year.

Putter Cory is on a distinguished road

Rideau Glen

I played Rideau Glen last weekend, it was my first time on the course so I do not know if it is normally good but yikes! The course was pretty bad. The greens were horrible and the fairways still had lakes on them. For $22 green fees, who can complain

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar

Meadows

Played Meadows N-W this morning. Some areas of the fairways are a little damp (swampy in spots) but the greens are in great shape. People do need to fix ball marks though (that's another rant )
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar

Champlain getting better

Champlain was much improved over last week. Only one temp green and the rest actually had mostly grass on them. Made a 70 foot putt which would have gone 20 ft past the pin if it hadnn't hit the stick. Amazing how one par like that can make up for a lot of worm-killers. My partners got a free game for next week so we will we going back as long as they are keeping this deal on.:bablefish

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar

Riverbend Short Course

PLayed the short course at Riverbend today. The holes south of the river were very wet probably due to the rain the previous day the holes north of the river weren't quite as wet. A few of the greens were even starting to come back nicely. All in all a nice day to try to improve the short game before work. All for $20 bucks.

Gap Wedge curls is on a distinguished road

Canadian

Played at Canadian today, tee time at 3:10 to get the twilight rate ($30). Not in great condition but considering how sopping other courses are, this one was relatively dry. Low-lying areas were soaked but fairways were dry enough (although no roll in some areas), and greens were starting to grow in. LOTS of aeration holes though. :crying

Played a decent round considering putts weren't rolling true.

~Eric

Putter Spyder is on a distinguished road

Mapleview

I golfed mapleview on fri and the course is in great shape. Mapleview is a course that you need to play over the golf season at least once. The greens at mapleview are great and they are fast. This course is by far two thumbs up

Chateau Cartier

played Saturday.
    fairways not that wet, (except in a few spots) just a little damp.

greens in pretty bad shape.
    very bumpy. 36 putts, with 3 one putts and a 0....yikes...

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    The OTTAWA GOLF TOUR had it's 1st stop of the season on Saturday at METCALFE.... It was a beautiful day to play & meet new friends, unfortunately..............

I think that I can safely speak for my 4-some if not for everyone in saying that the greens were PATHETIC!!!!!
    Probably 15 of the greens should have been still temporary. On a couple, they were hard pressed to find enough grass to put the pin in.

Very disappointing compared to how well some other courses are this time of year.
    If I was a member, I would be screaming for a return of a portion of my payment..

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Just keep in mind that Metcalf is not know for it's great conditions (even mid-season).

Be fair here fellas. Some greens were supposed to be temps, but they opened them and top dressed them so we could putt on them. My understanding was that as soon as we were done, they went back to temporarys. They also reduced the green fees.

They were obviously hit very hard by snow mould, as were several others this season. Some were not hit so bad. Trust me, they are no more thrilled about it than we are.

I'd appreciate it if we could refrain from coming in here and posting a rant.

Personally I find that the greens at Metcalfe in mid season are as good as any course of it's class in the area.

Pitching Wedge Clutch is on a distinguished road Clutch's Avatar
    Does anyone have any knowledge on the condition of Pakenham or Renfrew?

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    Pakenham is in pretty good considering the time of year it is.
    I haven't played Renfrew this year but I hear they are having trouble with the greens again.

Gap Wedge Deep red is on a distinguished road
    Originally posted by mr shank
    Pakenham is in pretty good considering the time of year it is.
    I haven't played Renfrew this year but I hear they are having trouble with the greens again.
    Thanks for the update on Renfrew. I was just about to book for Sunday but I think I will wait a few weeks before playing there.

I to played Metcalfe this weekend. (not in your tournament) All I can say is Thank god it was a free round!!! That was the worst set of greens I have ever seen. I don't know too much about why the greens get destroyed but it seems funny to me that Poplar groves greens are 10 times better and they are just down the road.

By the way I played Heritage on Sunday and the course was in very good shape other than the greens that were so so. But then again after playing Metcalfe the day before I felt like I was in heaven.
    It's all fun and games till some one loses an eye or gets pregnant.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Originally posted by Dan Kilbank
    Personally I find that the greens at Metcalfe in mid season are as good as any course of it's class in the area.

Agreed

Putter RobD is on a distinguished road

Greensmere

Played Greensmere for my first time this past Saturday and the weather was beautiful - low 20s, light breeze. They were offering green fees at $6 off their normal weekend rate ($41) at $35. The greens were very consistent and ran at a medium pace. The fairways were fairly patchy in some areas, but I'm sure with the weather predicted for the remainder of this week they should come along nicely. I found the front nine holes a bit dull, but that should improve with the addition of some hazards over the next few years - some well placed pot bunkers would tougher things up nicely. The back nine offered some nice scenery and various elevation changes. I really enjoyed the finish of two reachable Par 5's sandwiched around a driveable Par 4. Overall I would rate it a good value for the Ottawa area and expect it to improve over the next few years.

Putter tw68ca is on a distinguished road

Renfrew

Renfrew is having no trouble with its greens, or any other parts of the course. Conditions are excellent. Posters in a previous thread alluded to bumpy greens at the City and District last summer - this was due to aeration that was necessary at the time, and was indeed unfortnate.

Greens are spotless, and much quicker as the mowers have been lowered this year. As well, we have been playing the ball down since last spring - new equipment has finally allowed for tighter fairways - and the fairways are in wonderful shape.

You certainly will not be disappointed, and I would encourage you to make the trip.

Gap Wedge Deep red is on a distinguished road

Re: Renfrew

Originally posted by tw68ca
    Renfrew is having no trouble with its greens, or any other parts of the course. Conditions are excellent. Posters in a previous thread alluded to bumpy greens at the City and District last summer - this was due to aeration that was necessary at the time, and was indeed unfortnate.

Greens are spotless, and much quicker as the mowers have been lowered this year. As well, we have been playing the ball down since last spring - new equipment has finally allowed for tighter fairways - and the fairways are in wonderful shape.

You certainly will not be disappointed, and I would encourage you to make the trip.
    Thx for the update. I am playing out that way on Friday so i will take a ride by and check it out for my Sunday game.
    It's all fun and games till some one loses an eye or gets pregnant.

Sand Wedge LionsRoar is on a distinguished road

Cascades and Poplar Grove

Played Cascades on Saturday. It was in fair shape, greens were unspectacular with many being patchy and ultimately not putting true. Most fairways were very playable though and it's a gorgeous course. Worth the $25 + tax that they're charging this time of year. I just hope their greens can recover from the winter damage, I'm sure that they will.

Played Poplar Grove on Sunday and some of the fairways are VERY wet, many of the fairway bunkers are under repair, the greens were OK, though they obviously had a rough winter as well. Many have winter "burn" but small spots not huge patches so they should grow in nicely. Regular fees of $30 no tax.

All in all, two enjoyable rounds, both charging decent rates, both need work but I was satisfied for early May.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Originally posted by Dan Kilbank
    Be fair here fellas. Some greens were supposed to be temps, but they opened them and top dressed them so we could putt on them. My understanding was that as soon as we were done, they went back to temporarys. They also reduced the green fees.

They were obviously hit very hard by snow mould, as were several others this season. Some were not hit so bad. Trust me, they are no more thrilled about it than we are.

I'd appreciate it if we could refrain from coming in here and posting a rant.

Sorry Dan. It wasn't intended as a rant, just an honest report of the playing conditions that we encountered. I would certainly appreciate somebody telling me before I went to a course.
    My gang tries to get there a couple of times a year & Metcalfe is usually just a fine spot to spend an aftrenoon......

Thread Information