100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar

Membership Options

I've decided to 'retire' from working in golf and actually PLAY golf ... having 60-70 hour weeks last summer and less than 20 full rounds in sure did make the decision easy.

Anyways, I will probably go back to Manderley as a member, but before I decide, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Here are my criteria:

1. I get off work @ 5pm (downtown in the market) and would like to be on the course asap ... my regular playing partner works in kanata and we'd like to join somewhere together, so it would ideally be about the same length drive for both of us.

2. Cost is an issue. Cheaper the better, NO initiation (i'm leaving next year, so it would be money down the drain). I'll be 24 until May '07, anyone offering intermediate rates?

3. Not really interested in red book, executive etc ... looking at course memberships only.

It's ok if it's a bit of a drive from home (barrhaven), the #1 thing is being able to get there from work in good time.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

5 Iron priorlad is on a distinguished road
    Nat: It's a shame you're not working west end. Arnprior Golf Course offers an Intermediate Membership (Under 30) for an annual fee of $516.50 with full playing privileges. It's a little out of range when you're working the market!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If you put the market on the right edge of the map and kanata on the left, one course that is equidistant to both which fits most of your criteria is Stonebridge.

The only kicker is that at that time of day traffice will be a pain, but that's true of pretty much any course.

The 5-day membership (Mon-Fri) is $1600+GST unlimited golf, no initiation. 7-day membership is $2250+GST.

I don't think you're going to find a much better deal unless you really increase your drive time or skew it so that one of you drives a lot further. If you can do that your best bet would be something on the Quebec side.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure I'm getting the Stonebridge membership, just have to make sure the wife can accept it. Someone do the math, how many rounds a week from the beginning of May to the end of September would make this worth it?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Somewhere around 50 rounds total for the 7-day membership. That works out right around two rounds a week.

I usually end up around 40 or so rounds at SB in a season and it's cheaper to buy the 40 round passes ($50 / round) for that many rounds. I also play with a group of guys so we share the cost of the passes since they are transferrable.

Pitching Wedge RoyalQ is on a distinguished road
    Of course, fundonny,

you realize that there is a lot more to it than the number of rounds you manage to turn in: New friends, partners, competition, tournaments, reservation in advance, not worrying about an overcast day, rain checks, playing with the pro and best players, instruction, going there to play 4-5 holes cause you feel like it, practice range/green at will, having everybody waving at you on the course, bringing your kid for the walk on some special occasions, playing with your irons only from the ladies teebox cause you want to give it a try (great), getting a massage in the neck from the "restaurant" lady at #12, and much much more. Yes, being a member is great

Stonebridge was the only place i could come up with aswell ...

Can't see myself playing that course everyday for a season though ... conditioning is excellent, but there's something about the layout that just makes me get bored of it quickly...

as for arnprior, it's almost worth the drive for that price! I have also considered joining Renfrew or Mountain Creek in the past ... just a little too far out of the way though

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar

stonebridge membership

I've been a 5 day "member" at Stonebridge for the past 3 years but am considering switching to Emerald Links this year.

Stonebridge is a great course if you just want golf but if you want a true membership you have to look elsewhere ... SB has no club events, no club tournaments, no leagues, no intersectionals, no handicapping, no chits & no club storage. And the big kicker for me is that they are bulldozing the range to put up more townhomes.

On the other hand SB is one of the few courses around that you can play several times a week and not get bored with it. It is a challenging shot-makers course that offers vastly different views from the different tee blocks. Even just alternating between the blues to the blacks, combined with the 3 different pin locations, changes the way you play each hole depending on the set-up.

Another course for you consideration is Cedarhill - they are planning major renovations to improve the layout and there is talk of it going private again.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    If you're willing to consider Arnprior you may also want to give consideration to Pakenham. No initiation, dues are around $1400-$1500. 27 holes ensures you can always play after work.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

2 Iron guyfrompei is on a distinguished road guyfrompei's Avatar
    Hey Nat, I'd say your options are limited considering you wanna save and it's only for one year. If you were sticking around I'd say Hautes Plaines for you. Since your 24 you'd save $$ until your 30 and it's a few mintues from town. Would be $2090 for you including everything but tax. If you're moving somewhere with other CL courses, might be an option.

Manderley is probably the answer though. But if I keep taking your $$ at the table you may not be joining anywhere...

Listen to this guy!

I heard that at the last one you mistook Jack high for a flush

That is a great price, just trying to avoid initiation / commitment at the moment.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar

Is Monarch bulldozing the Stonebridge range for townhomes??

Quote Originally Posted by 4jag View Post
    I've been a 5 day "member" at Stonebridge for the past 3 years but am considering switching to Emerald Links this year.

Stonebridge is a great course if you just want golf but if you want a true membership you have to look elsewhere ... SB has no club events, no club tournaments, no leagues, no intersectionals, no handicapping, no chits & no club storage. And the big kicker for me is that they are bulldozing the range to put up more townhomes.

On the other hand SB is one of the few courses around that you can play several times a week and not get bored with it. It is a challenging shot-makers course that offers vastly different views from the different tee blocks. Even just alternating between the blues to the blacks, combined with the 3 different pin locations, changes the way you play each hole depending on the set-up.

Another course for you consideration is Cedarhill - they are planning major renovations to improve the layout and there is talk of it going private again.
    Could someone please confirm if Monarch is bulldozing the range to put up townhomes. If so, will the range be gone for this season?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I was talking to a former pro there about a month ago and he left as he wasn't going to have a range to use so it wasn't worth it for him. YES it is going for more housing.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Ridiculous that they're doing that. Gonna reconsider my membership now.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    I was talking to a former pro there about a month ago and he left as he wasn't going to have a range to use so it wasn't worth it for him. YES it is going for more housing.
    Thanks for the confirmation!!

A course of that caliber without a range.......Go figure..........

Kanata Lakes does not have something you can call a range either and it is CL Platinum!!
    Perhaps Clublink will make Stonebridge its next victim after EC. Monarch will likely talk once they have sold all their homes, as they use their golf course as a big selling feature.........THIS IS JUST SPECULATION, so lets not start the Stonebridge rumours up again. I can hardly keep up with all the action happening with EC!!!

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    I asked about that 3 years ago when I inquired about their new memberships. They indicated even back then that the range would be gone in a few years to make way for houses. The land is worth way more as houses than it is as a range.

I guess Stonebridge will have to make some changes to their website soon....... "Stonebridge also boasts one of the best practice facilities in the area, where you can practice every shot in the bag!" http://www.stonebridgegc.com/
    and,
    Do you have a driving range?
    Yes, we have a spectacular practice facility, complete with natural grass tees, target greens and a short game area. It is located on the west side of Jockvale Road, adjacent to the first hole of the West Nine.

http://www.stonebridgegc.com/golf-coursefacts.html

Has anyone driven by lately and noticed if the bulldozers are there yet???

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Has anyone driven by lately and noticed if the bulldozers are there yet???
    No Bulldozers yet but the large public notice of redevelopment sign has been posted along the road in front of the range for some time now. I think its crazy of course, I'm a golfer not a real estate developer. SB has also bumped their membership rates to coincide with this news.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Thread Information