CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: What to hit from 170yds...

Voters
647. You may not vote on this poll
  • Driver

2 0.31%
  • Fairway Wood

25 3.86%
  • Hybrid

52 8.04%
  • 3 iron

5 0.77%
  • 4 iron

47 7.26%
  • 5 iron

142 21.95%
  • 6 iron

213 32.92%
  • 7 iron

117 18.08%
  • 8 iron

40 6.18%
  • 9 iron

2 0.31%
  • Pitching wedge

1 0.15%
  • Other wedges for John Daly

1 0.15%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Same here, hard 7 or choke down on a 6 or hit it easy. Project X 6.0 in my weapons.

8 Iron richard is on a distinguished road richard's Avatar
    You BS' ers who say a "smooth 7 " for 170 yds. Gimme a break...I suppose you're all scratch as well. I play with a 2 hndcp.who hits a 5 iron 170 consistently,it;s OK fellas,don't be afraid of 4 or 5 hybrid to that length.Some gorillas are really chimps in disguise !!
    [email]richardgrand@rogers.com[/email]
    cell;(613)290-8075

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    why do you think people are lying? Handicap is not always indicitive of how far you hit a ball. I have played with a number of people on here and can say unequivocally, they can easily hit a 7 iron 170. I can hit one 165 but would rather ease off a 6i than step on a 7i. btw, I am a 12 index.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    You BS' ers who say a "smooth 7 " for 170 yds. Gimme a break...I suppose you're all scratch as well. I play with a 2 hndcp.who hits a 5 iron 170 consistently,it;s OK fellas,don't be afraid of 4 or 5 hybrid to that length.Some gorillas are really chimps in disguise !!
    .......I have played golf with at least 3 people on this web site that can hit a normal 7 iron 170 yards, that's not to say they don't have stronger lofts in their irons cause that I don't know; but my 7 iron is 33 degrees and a smooth swing goes about 164 to 167, a hard controlled swing goes 172 to 175 with a 2 piece ball. I am not a gorilla but have good swing speed for my age (52).

bbad
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    C'mon..I can easily see a lot of people here being able to hit a 7 iron 170. A few might have to step on it (as they said). The real question is how far can you hit your 7 iron accurately?

As it was said before, what does your handicap have to do with how far you hit the ball. If that was the case, then the world's longest hitters would be on the PGA tour and not just in their own league.

Like they say, drive for show, putt for dough.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Half the people that hit the ball far may do so in part because of reasonable swing mechanics, doesn't make them a pro.

It's funny, you get both sides of the coin on these threads. Guys that say how far you hit it has nothing to do with how good you are, which is general and specific is true, but there is a small relationship, msot better swings go farther easier than beginner swings.

Then at the same time if you post you hit the ball anywhere close to as long as the guys on tv you get guys saying it's bs and you must be a pro etc...

A smooth 7 isn't pushing it too hard from 170 with modern lofts. I'm sure there's a bunch of guys on this forum that would hit a smooth 8 with strong lofted clubs.

Lob Wedge HowardBrazee is on a distinguished road
    I'd use my 5 iron. I haven't used enough clubs to know if it is representative. I do live near Denver, which makes the ball go farther - but I didn't start to golf until I was almost 50 (and I'm only 5'6").

If I were smart, I would lay up more often (depending on conditions). I'm not smart.

Billy Casper won the 1959 U.S. Open at Winged Foot by laying up on the par-3 third all four days for four pars. Lots of people wish they were smart like him.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    That would be what club do you hit if you have to carry it 170 yrds to the green, oddly enough if I'm worried I've found I'm better off clubbing down and trying to kill it, that way even skanked shots have a chance of making it across, although the phylosophy works better from 190 than 170. I heeled 4 or 5i is right in the drink, but a nuked 6i is more likely to carry itself over as long as I grab some kind of piece of the ball.

Bouche
    Im the only one that would hit a 9 iron?! Huh....I bet Hoolio would hit a 9 to! ./.....And maybe Tiger

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    That is huge for a 9 iron in my opinion... What do you use for 140 or 80 ??? How many wedges do you carry. That would be my concern.

I'm a 7 from that distance... maybe a hard 8 with a slight tailwind.... hehehe...

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTheRough View Post
    That is huge for a 9 iron in my opinion... What do you use for 140 or 80 ??? How many wedges do you carry. That would be my concern.

I'm a 7 from that distance... maybe a hard 8 with a slight tailwind.... hehehe...

I wouldn't believe it unless I've seen it first hand. I've played with alot of long hitters, and Bouche hits his irons farther than anyone I've ever played with. I've played with guys who hit their driver as far or farther than Bouche, but his iron play is something to behold.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Happily, I can now hit a muscle a 6iron 170 yards.... Woohoo.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    If it matters, I watched the big man Bouche hit a 7 iron on the 2nd hole par 3, 232 yrds. Landed about 15 feet from the pin. The kid hits the ball hard!

Holy cow. He should change his nick name to King Kong....

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    If it matters, I watched the big man Bouche hit a 7 iron on the 2nd hole par 3, 232 yrds. Landed about 15 feet from the pin. The kid hits the ball hard!

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    the way im hitting right now under those conditions would be an 8 iron. Him hitting the ball so square right now, my best round this was 3 weeks ago at Outaouais on a clear hot sunny day my pw was flying 160yds took a few holes to adjust.

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    When I was playing with Bouche in the Spring Open Qualifier, I'm pretty sure he hit his 4 iron about 260 off the tee, it was rediculous.

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    I would have to call him a genetic freak then !!! But please take it as a compliment!!!

Bouche... I think I want to play a couple rounds with you over the summer! (again another compliment)

Eagle buykrux is on a distinguished road
    what irons does bouche use?
    i know i hit my 731pms farther then my ta2s
    731s are 1 or 2 degree stronger then then ta2s tho

Bouche
    Im in on the driving contest!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    Holy cow. He should change his nick name to King Kong....

Or Delofter
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Bouche
    From 14o I use my (or geoffs ) 54 bent to a 52* and from 80 im either my 60 or I will use a knock down of another wedge

I have 4 wedges but I might put in a 5th soon. I need a 150 club so maybe a 50*?

MY wedges are the titleist spin milled wedges

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTheRough View Post

Bouche
    MY irons are currently the TA3 Cleveland Gunmeteals forged with stiff shafts.

Chief you should play a round with me and then call me a delofter...if I dont smack ya over the head a couple times first

I stand by my first suggestion. De-lofter can have negative connetations towards a man's ... how would you say this.... manly disfunction disorder...

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Or Delofter

Once again, if you played with Bouche you wouldn't call him a delofter. He hits towering iron shots. That's what makes it even more impressive.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Once again, if you played with Bouche you wouldn't call him a delofter. He hits towering iron shots. That's what makes it even more impressive.
    I have not seen him hit a ball. It was just an assumption
    Mahatma Gandhi

I have not seen him hit a ball. It was just an assumption

No doubt he has to be delofting a bit, but not like what you are probably used to seeing. All I can say is that I've never played with anyone that can hit a ball like Bouche. It's something to behold.

I know what you mean Geoff. While I have never played with Bouche, when I was in Phoenix a month or so ago, I played with a tall lad (a couple of inches taller than you) who is a 2 HCDP and competes in long drive championships.

He had two drivers in the bag. He hit his regular driver 330-340 yards straight down the middle. He took out the long drive driver out of the bag for one hole and hit is 390 on the right side of the fairway...

I have never ever seen anyone swing that fast.....

On pretty well every par5 he was on with a driver, short iron/wedge. Eagle putts for every par 5

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    No doubt he has to be delofting a bit, but not like what you are probably used to seeing. All I can say is that I've never played with anyone that can hit a ball like Bouche. It's something to behold.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Not a bad guy

Quote Originally Posted by Bouche View Post
    Chief you should play a round with me and then call me a delofter...if I dont smack ya over the head a couple times first
    Bouche, if you know the Chief you would know that he is not putting you down, he is simply suggesting one way to hit further is to deloft without seeing your swing and he did wink after his comment. No need to slug him over the head Leave that to his close personal friends!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by Bouche View Post
    MY irons are currently the TA3 Cleveland Gunmeteals forged with stiff shafts.

Look up the dictionary and see if you an find the definition. I simply meant that you most probably hit down on the ball with a pronating wrist which is what all golfers should try to accomplish. I don't see why you would get all worked up over delofter and not King Kong. Now if you want to make personal threats that's a different story.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Look up the dictionary and see if you an find the definition. I simply meant that you most probably hit down on the ball with a pronating wrist which is what all golfers should try to accomplish. I don't see why you would get all worked up over delofter and not King Kong. Now if you want to make personal threats that's a different story.

I don't think there was any ill-will meant. Let's not blow this out of proportion.

Thread Information