CorporateGolfXtra 2023

View Poll Results: What to hit from 170yds...

Voters
647. You may not vote on this poll
  • Driver

2 0.31%
  • Fairway Wood

25 3.86%
  • Hybrid

52 8.04%
  • 3 iron

5 0.77%
  • 4 iron

47 7.26%
  • 5 iron

142 21.95%
  • 6 iron

213 32.92%
  • 7 iron

117 18.08%
  • 8 iron

40 6.18%
  • 9 iron

2 0.31%
  • Pitching wedge

1 0.15%
  • Other wedges for John Daly

1 0.15%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    For me it depends on a number of factors. These would include: the temperature (the hotter it is, the less club that I will need); how "quick" I'm feeling (if I'm tired and sluggish, I'll need more club); my adrenaline level (the higher it is, the less club I'll require). You notice that I have not mentioned such things as wind, rain, elevation changes, and so forth as I have assumed that for the purposes of this question that wind and elevation are not significant. All of that said, for me the club is likely to be either a 5 or a 6 iron. There are other times (this past Saturday, for example) when a 4 iron might be appropriate and other times (in the heat of summer when I've been on vacation for 3 weeks) that a 7 iron might be perfect. In short, at least for me, I am not committed to a particular club under any and all conditions. My advice, for what it's worth, is to be flexible and to use the club that all of the circumstances dictate after you have suspended the irrational influence of your ego.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    You forgot your most important factor pare ... am I playing for money?

In this case, I could see you going wedge wedge then casually asking to double the stakes
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    When I read that, Nat, I burst out laughing. Thanks for brightening my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams View Post

In this case, I could see you going wedge wedge then casually asking to double the stakes

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar

Dynamic steel all my life

I played mostly Dynamic stiff, starting in 1956. My driver in recent years has been a Titleist 975-D, which I reshafted with a Dynamic Gold X-100, 44". But as I say, I have seen the error of my ways. I believe that I would have developed a better swing, swinging easier with a more flexible shaft. For whatever years I have left, I want to play from the middle of the fairway, and I want to hit more greens in regulation.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    smart...

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    TM Rescue Mid 25 degrees, to the pin, no role.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams View Post

If he was playing for money he would probably take WAYY to much club play a knockdown 3 iron and place it oh so nice within 10 feet....just to make it sting a little more
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road
    Are you guys talking indoor or outdoors?

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Farzin View Post
    Are you guys talking indoor or outdoors?
    If you find a place indoors that you can hit it 170yds let everybody know about it.
    Back at it.

Ha ha, Golf O Max. I can hit a 9 Iron there. But seriously as far as outdoor goes. At ideal condition I can carry my 7 iron 165 yards perfect. here is an example. measured with an EMD.
    hole in one

I know pinshark has no problem hitting an 8 or a 9 iron.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    A 6I for this old guy.

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    I could get a 6 iron there if I flushed it, but more often than not, I would opt for a smooth 5 iron from 170.

Hybrid clankoffdatee is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3 View Post
    On the idea of "distance claims" can we come up with a question that will give a more reasonable picture of distance. Let's try the following:

Which club would you use if you had 170yds to the pin?

Should add...and actually get it there within 15' 70% of the time...
    8 iron -puhlease????

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    It all depends on what is 170 yards away............from that distance I can probably hit any large-ish body of water, trees, traps, buildings (especially private homes), parking lots pretty much anything that one could reasonably expect to see around a golf course (except the green, but that goes without saying)

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    It all depends on what is 170 yards away............from that distance I can probably hit any large-ish body of water, trees, traps, buildings (especially private homes), parking lots pretty much anything that one could reasonably expect to see around a golf course (except the green, but that goes without saying)

Hence my comment about playing in the 80s, 90s and 100s.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by clankoffdatee View Post
    8 iron -puhlease????
    Also
    with a 7, 6, or 5 Iron.

Inside the 15 feet 70% . Not even the pros me thinks.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Hence my comment about playing in the 80s, 90s and 100s.
    geoff, Geoff, Geoff.... Hacker is a wee bit short and stuff like that just zooms over his head like a Mazda! You gotta draw the boy a picture of a themometer with the red line between 80 and 90.......
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    geoff, Geoff, Geoff.... Hacker is a wee bit short and stuff like that just zooms over his head like a Mazda! You gotta draw the boy a picture of a themometer with the red line between 80 and 90.......

"A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Ace shovellover is on a distinguished road shovellover's Avatar
    Smooth 5i is about 175. That works.

Would it be anywhere near the pin? Probably not. Waaay left would be my guess.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Post removed
    Last edited by Kilroy; 12-21-2006 at 12:56 PM. Reason: tasteless

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    post removed
    On topic please, and remember the TOS.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

How I view the poll results.

Thanks to everybody who responded, a real “eye opener” for me. I realize that this is not a perfect poll, but it is still interesting. There is probably nothing new here for most of you but I thought I would share.

I choose 170yds to make sure that most of the respondents would be using an iron, which is the case. If I made it less, then some of the really long hitters would be saying “3/4 gap wedge”. If I made the test length longer, then some of the shorter hitters would be saying “driver then putter/wedge”, and there was more risk of getting into the “21° hybrid”.

From the surface the poll makes it seem like 50% of respondents are only 1 or 2 clubs away from hitting it long like John (and the other LDOG – Long Drivers of OttawaGolf.com – who I am guessing has a PGA tour length swing: aka ~300yd drive). But is this true?

There are a large number of factors coming into play, to name a few:
    - 170yds is right between two clubs (aggressive 6-iron versus smooth 5-iron)
    - iron loft creep (modern versus classical loft angles)
    - Skill level of the respondents
    - Yardage gap between successive clubs

This is a subtle bias comes from the lack of knowledge as to whether a respondent used an aggressive 6-iron, normal 6-iron or a smooth 6-iron. But this would be the case independent of which length was chosen. If the poll used 175yds or 165yds, then the ones who used a “nice full swing with a 6 iron” would more than likely have to pick between adjacent clubs. While others would move from choosing between two clubs to knowing that is a full swing with one club. Overall, this bias probably can’t be overcome in this type of poll, but it should be recognized.

Iron loft creep over the decades has done a number of things, one of which is that a modern 6-iron is probably closer to a classical 5-iron, so as pointed out by Chieflongtee this will matter in club selection. To determine if respondents are using modern or classical lofts in their irons another poll could be run, but a large majority would probably come back with “I don’t know”. If this was corrected for it would only shift some people either up or down a club – there is a reason why they are called “modern lofts”. This is another case of recognizing that a bias exists, but there is little that could be done about it in an internet poll. A great article on this is at:
    http://www.leaderboard.com/LOFTINFO.htm

We see from another poll on this forum that the weighted average handicap of the respondents is about 12.
    http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=20657
    This is definitely lower than the average handicap of people playing golf on any given Saturday in June, which I would guess would be in the 20-25 range since according to golf lore most golfers never break 100. This means that respondents are mainly of higher skill than average which would mean that the respondents of this poll are more likely to make better than average contact and have better than average distance.

The really interesting thing for me is what this says about yardage gap between successive clubs. The common assumption is 10yds between successive clubs (so 6-iron at 170yds and 5-iron at 180yds). However, as you progress from the short hitter to the longer hitter the gap between clubs lengthens. So a long hitter like John may have 13yds between clubs while Hank Hill (you admitted to it and you didn’t have to ;-) )may have 9yds between clubs. This doesn’t seem like much.

The table below is initially based on the assumption of 10yd gap between clubs and can get the driver out 230yds. To get the other distances I scaled up the gap by the ratio of the new drive distance over the “normal hacker” distance. (I tested this with my normal drive distance and the iron distances that came back were pretty much spot on.)

See Attached jpg.

So an LDOG and the average OG is probably only 1 club different when faced with a 100yd pitch (LW vs SW), but 3 clubs different off the tee (4 wood vs driver).

Another interesting thing (to me) is that the SS is almost directly proportional to the gap between clubs. LDOG has a 30% larger gap than the normal hacker and 120mph is 30% larger than 92mph (normal hacker SS).

I am sure there is more I could write because I find so much of golf stuff exceptionally interesting, but I will stop now.

Except to say I hope the LDOG event actually happens.
    Later,
    Charles
    Back at it.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I have no idea where I fit in that graph. My irons (3-PW) are in line with the LDOG, but there is no way I even come close to averaging 300 yards with the driver let alone 274 with the 3 wood. My wedges also run more in the Average OG.

I think I need to get a set of wedges and get them setup better, they are the scoring clubs after all, and you should at least have a good idea how far they go.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I'm in the same boat Hoolio, i would say my average drive is 270 or so. Maybe 250 if i smack the 3 wood. The irons seem right though.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I fit the "Short hitter" bill pretty well, but with a 220 (actual average) drive. All the other numbers line up. Now you know why I groan when I have to play the blues.
    I am the tortoise!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hybrid clankoffdatee is on a distinguished road
    Interesting info..
    My yardages are almost identical to average og.
    Pretty cool.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clankoffdatee View Post
    Interesting info..
    My yardages are almost identical to average og.
    Pretty cool.
    ....add 3 or 4 yards for each club and I'm right there except s.w. and g.w. are a little shorter. Driver is definitely longer but than again it's 46 inches and I like to swing hard with the driver compared to a easy controlled swing with the irons. All said and told I would say the Info is pretty acurate. Good job

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    I have no idea where I fit in that graph. My irons (3-PW) are in line with the LDOG, but there is no way I even come close to averaging 300 yards with the driver let alone 274 with the 3 wood. My wedges also run more in the Average OG.

I think I need to get a set of wedges and get them setup better, they are the scoring clubs after all, and you should at least have a good idea how far they go.
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I'm in the same boat Hoolio, i would say my average drive is 270 or so. Maybe 250 if i smack the 3 wood. The irons seem right though.
    I just made an assumption of 300 yds for the LDOG's.

It is surprising is that it fits the irons extremely well for you guys but seems to be missing out on the woods. Not exactly sure why?

It may be due to my assumption of using a linear gap between all clubs, whereas in real life the gap may shrink towards the tails of the set of clubs (woods and wedges). MOI affecting the swing speed or the change in lofts are not able to match the pattern as well.

I rechecked my calculated distances and it appears that the calculated 3-wood and 5-wood are only 7yds longer than my usual distances. This may be due to the loft of my woods in comparison to my driver.

I don't see this as a problem but something to strive for.

Thanks for the input.
    Back at it.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

i'm a bit all over the place

Driver 250
    3 wood 230
    2H 210
    4i 195
    5i 185
    6i 175
    7i 165
    8i 155
    9i 145
    PW 130
    GW 100
    SW 85
    LW 60

I have no idea how anyone hits a LW 90-100 yds.

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar

Nostalgia for the old lofts and lies

"Iron loft creep over the decades has done a number of things, one of which is that a modern 6-iron is probably closer to a classical 5-iron, so as pointed out by Chieflongtee this will matter in club selection. To determine if respondents are using modern or classical lofts in their irons another poll could be run, but a large majority would probably come back with “I don’t know”. If this was corrected for it would only shift some people either up or down a club – there is a reason why they are called “modern lofts”...

You have hit the nail on the head. My new dream set of irons is going to be the Bang Tour Tools Classic II, which replicates the Wilson blades of the early 60's. The 5-iron has a loft of 30 degrees, lie of 59 degrees. Now that's how I remember learning the game!

Back in the day, a 9-iron carried 110, and a driver carried 220...if you were a good player!

Thread Information