CorporateGolfXtra 2023

View Poll Results: What to hit from 170yds...

Voters
647. You may not vote on this poll
  • Driver

2 0.31%
  • Fairway Wood

25 3.86%
  • Hybrid

52 8.04%
  • 3 iron

5 0.77%
  • 4 iron

47 7.26%
  • 5 iron

142 21.95%
  • 6 iron

213 32.92%
  • 7 iron

117 18.08%
  • 8 iron

40 6.18%
  • 9 iron

2 0.31%
  • Pitching wedge

1 0.15%
  • Other wedges for John Daly

1 0.15%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    These polls are so ridiculous , i could hit anything from a PW to a 7 iron from 170 yards depending on conditions and sometimes 170 yards plays like 150 yards or like 200 yards depending on conditions, elevations and so on.

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    The poll question should be as follows: "If your life depended on it and you had to hit 10 shots that carried 170 yards with only 1 club, which club would you choose." Lets also say that its flat, no wind, at sea level and from the fairway.

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoganWoods View Post
    The poll question should be as follows: "If your life depended on it and you had to hit 10 shots that carried 170 yards with only 1 club, which club would you choose." Lets also say that its flat, no wind, at sea level and from the fairway.
    If my "life depended on it"? Driver for me thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jmwhite View Post
    If my "life depended on it"? Driver for me thanks.
    The goal is to carry 170, not 170 or more.

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    You didn't say I had to stick it. See how crazy these polls get if you leave too many variables.

I'll say a nice easy 9 wood then. With a ProV1 of course.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoganWoods View Post
    Too much pressure
    You only get out of something what you put into it

It is a bit of an absurd scenario, I will admit.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    We should start a new poll on this to be honest....With flat, no wind, good lie conditions. This was created in 2006 and the lies have become stronger since then. I know the last few rounds I've played, I have been taking 7 iron from 165-170 yards out. I tend to squeeze the ball though and probably de-loft the club a bit.

Sand Wedge hoganblades is on a distinguished road hoganblades's Avatar
    That's what my Hogan Redlines and Grinds measure -- 49* for the pitch wedge.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    At one point pw's were 49*

Gap Wedge Steerpike is on a distinguished road
    Although this is an old thread, dating back to 2006, I would be interested in knowing what iron would everyone be hitting now up to 7 years later given the passage and ravages of time as well as the advent of the so called new"distance irons".

More importantly, I would like to know how close to the pin you would be from 170 yards on average from a sample of (say) 10 shots. At age 59, I would be hitting my 5 (or 6 iron on a good day) and be happy to hit the green 50% of the time.

Sand Wedge hoganblades is on a distinguished road hoganblades's Avatar

170 yd iron reply...

Hi Steerpike,
    Nice post -- interesting to reflect on how changes in our bodies, and equipment have changed our club selection from 170 out.

For me, my equipment is essentially unchanged. I have been using Hogan Apex 99 irons since 2002. I love them so much. To me they are the sweetest, softest feeling irons I have tried. Believe me, I drool in the mouth at the promise of cavity back player's irons adding distance to my misses. And I drool at the mouth at the pretty looking newer generation blades. But, I cannot get over how great my Hogans feel. I try all the irons I can. This includes later model blades, as well as cavity backs. The cavity backs leave me at a loss for feel. The newer design blades feel harsh to me compared to the Apex 99s. My only change in irons has been going to Rifle Flighted 6.0 shafts instead of the Apex4 shafts that I originally used. As I build my own clubs, I might put a set of Apex4 shafts back in to one of my sets of Apex 99s, and compare them over a period of time to the Rifle Flighted 6.0s.

Getting back to your great question, my club selection has remained unchanged. I select my 170 club based on the conditions -- uphill/downhill shot, early/mid/late season weather and course conditions, etc. I have hit an 8 iron 170, and I have hit a 4 iron 170.

At the range, under low wind, sunny day conditions during the summer, I am hitting a 7 iron 170. Seven years ago, I think I was honestly hitting a 6 iron that distance, but would have chosen a 7 iron. I have been working on my swing, and ball striking.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
    Although this is an old thread, dating back to 2006, I would be interested in knowing what iron would everyone be hitting now up to 7 years later given the passage and ravages of time as well as the advent of the so called new"distance irons".

More importantly, I would like to know how close to the pin you would be from 170 yards on average from a sample of (say) 10 shots. At age 59, I would be hitting my 5 (or 6 iron on a good day) and be happy to hit the green 50% of the time.

Bouche
    Looking at some of the old posts...

I would hit a hard 9 iron. Back then, I was playing standard TA3 gunmetals.

Now I am hitting an easy 8 with my +1/2 inch Mizuno irons.

These clubs are new to me and I still have not found my exact range.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I'm now hitting a knock down 5 iron or an " all I've got " 6 iron if I have nothing at the front of the green to get me in trouble
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Me I'm a 7 iron or a 6 iron if conditions are poor (wind/cold). A freakin' 9 iron for 170, I'd love to see it in person.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I'd be hitting 8 iron most days me thinks.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    These days I'd have to add whether it's at the beginning of the round or the end of the round.

I'm hitting the ball an eensy bit farther than 5 years ago, a small consolation considering my ability to "nuke" the ball is slowly being eroded. I'd still use the same club but that yardage would put me almost between clubs with a forced carry, cause I'd rather club down and kill it in situations like that..

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I'd be hitting 8 iron most days me thinks.
    I am pretty sure you could muscle a 9 iron out there....
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Bouche
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Me I'm a 7 iron or a 6 iron if conditions are poor (wind/cold). A freakin' 9 iron for 170, I'd love to see it in person.
    Anytime fundonny. I have always had good distance with my irons. I take the club way back. Just learning how to hit it straight is the hard part!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    I used to hit a 6 iron, now its a choked up 24 degree hybrid with a reg flex shaft. This thread & I are old.
    bump. I had this idea 2 years ago.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    I hit a PW the other day with 168 to the flag and went a little long . . . There was a bit of wind though . .
    Even I've never heard of me

bbad
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    I've seen him hit a pitching wedge that far!!! The hard part for him is how many yards of "aggressive hook" does he play???

Bouche
    Quote Originally Posted by bbad View Post
    I've seen him hit a pitching wedge that far!!! The hard part for him is how many yards of "aggressive hook" does he play???
    It's a work in progress, last season I changed my grip from baseball grip to overlap. Something I probably should have done when I was 13. I have the odd snapper but its something thats "fading" away from my game.

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    Who's the host guy nagging on in that clip, Jaimee?

the way clus specs continually change, this question might be more interesting if you asked, "what's the loft and shaft length of the club you'd use to stick it from 170?"

Par il-terrifico is on a distinguished road
    From 170 out, I usually hit the gas peddle....then yell to the wife I'm not going to the hardware store after all, but the beer store, and then to play 18.....

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    From 170 out, I usually hit the gas peddle....then yell to the wife I'm not going to the hardware store after all, but the beer store, and then to play 18...... great answer , I had a good laugh

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Last year, 170 yards was a very hard TM CB Forged 6 iron, and that was the max yardage for my 6.
    This year, my Mizuno 850F 6 iron (with C Taper lite shafts) is flying 175 no problem.

I have yet to get all the irons on the course, but I cant wait to see the difference.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Last year, 170 yards was a very hard TM CB Forged 6 iron, and that was the max yardage for my 6.
    This year, my Mizuno 850F 6 iron (with C Taper lite shafts) is flying 175 no problem.
    Same loft?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information