CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Relief

Pitching Wedge spart is on a distinguished road

Relief

Playing down south last month, I hit a tee shot to a par three which ended up next to the wood support at the edge of the greenside pond. It was not possible to address the ball. Should I have been given relief? (I did not take relief - tried to hit it left handed with an upside down club with disastrous results. We then had a long inconclusive debate on the subject)

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    If the "support" is movable, you can just move it.

If the "support" is not movable AND your ball is in the water hazard, you get NO free relief.

Rule 24-2b Note 1: If a ball is in a water hazard (including a lateral water hazard), the player is not entitled to relief without penalty from interference by an immovable obstruction.

If the "support" is not movable and your ball is NOT in the water hazard, then the following Rule applies:

Rule 24-2b. Immovable Obstruction Relief
    Except when the ball is in a water hazard or a lateral water hazard, a player may obtain relief from interference by an immovable obstruction, without penalty, as follows:
    Through the Green: If the ball lies through the green, the nearest point of relief shall be determined which is not in a hazard or on a putting green. The player shall lift the ball and drop it within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief on a part of the course which avoids interference (as defined) by the immovable obstruction and is not in a hazard or on a putting green.

If the situation was other than any of the above, I would need more information.

Pitching Wedge spart is on a distinguished road
    It was the latter - Thank you very much - I could have saved myself considerable grief!

Thread Information