CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    3 Wood dwalker is on a distinguished road dwalker's Avatar

hot stock

TMG on the Venture exchange looks promising. Bought in at 0.18, climbed as high as 0.60, now down in the 0.38 range. They make systems that clean up emmissions by factories, and "green" is hot right now.
    Slice, hook, or straight down the middle. It all looks the same on the score card.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Do you guys document your progress. What's your gain % per quarter, half or full year?

Where did your learn all this? School or in books and then trial and error?

Trading is something that I always found fascinating but never got in to it.

Interesting thread by the way.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    What a brutal month, just horrible. Most of the gains from the previous year are being wiped out due to the US Credit scare. My advice for now is hold off until September, let this pass. Should be able to buy back in in September at a nice discounted price.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Is anyone else's fund managers getting in touch with them regarding moving your money? Besides myself, 2 of my coworkers have recently had their fund manager ask if they would like to move their money. WTF are we paying these people for? Wouldn't it make more sense to ride this out rather than sell in a panic?
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Fund managers, no offense, are not worth a penny. There are exceptions, and I don't mean to offend any, but they make their management fees regardless of the performance of your fund. I had one for a few years, I never heard from him. That's when I started my own funds! I do more due diligence then any fund manager I've ever met. Again, don't mean offense, there are exceptions, and I don't want to start any debate whatsoever, to each is own.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Fund managers, no offense, are not worth a penny.
    No argument here. I recently switched fund managers and the very first thing my new guy did was try to sell me more life insurance. I explained to him I didn't want to have to die to increase cash flow.
    If you don't mind me asking, in a nutshell, how do you go about managing your own ? How would I go about switching from my new guy to doing it myself?

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, in a nutshell, how do you go about managing your own ? How would I go about switching from my new guy to doing it myself?
    Open up an account with a bank that has on-line trading. When you open your account, you fill in transfer paperwork and your account is transferred automatically. It may cost you some money to transfer. I'm with TD Webroker which has a very good on-line system. You manage every aspect of your own account and you even have access to Real-Time quotes.

I agree with EM69. If you want any specifics, feel free to PM me as well. I use TD Waterhouse, but I would switch to ETrade if I didn't do all my banking with TD.

I agree with EM69. If you want any specifics, feel free to PM me as well. I use TD Waterhouse, but I would switch to ETrade if I didn't do all my banking with TD.
    Like Donny, I do ALL my banking with TD, so it very easy to transfer money in and out of all the accounts (trading, chequing, mortgage, line of credit, etc.). I was with CIBC prior and it was a pain to deposit money into my account so that I could trade. Besides, the CIBC on-line was TERRIBLE.

Thanks for the info, I already bank with TD so I'll give them a try first.

So if I wanted to invest in 1 single particular stock, would I be better to use etrade? Basically I want to use some 'fun money' to invest just for kicks outside my regular portfolio. Let's say I want to start out by investing 2K in a particular companies stock, what's the easiest way to do this?

Etrade is great for a lot of trades, but if you're just going to do one trade and then one sell, you mise well just stay with TD.

So if I wanted to invest in 1 single particular stock, would I be better to use etrade? Basically I want to use some 'fun money' to invest just for kicks outside my regular portfolio. Let's say I want to start out by investing 2K in a particular companies stock, what's the easiest way to do this?
    Just one?? Yah sure...that is how my addiction started too.

It is a great time to buy something. There are some great bargains out there.

Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    It is a great time to buy something. There are some great bargains out there.
    my thinking exactly

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road
    Is anyone else's fund managers getting in touch with them regarding moving your money? Besides myself, 2 of my coworkers have recently had their fund manager ask if they would like to move their money. WTF are we paying these people for? Wouldn't it make more sense to ride this out rather than sell in a panic?
    It really depends on a number of factors. Did your advisor explain why he/she wanted to move some of your assets? If you disagree with what he is saying, then let it be known.

These are very volatile and unpredictable times. There are a lot of very bright people who feel that this is much more than a minor correction. Even the Guru of this thread said you should get out of this market.

I definitely don't agree with selling in a panic, but are you really sure that is what this is?

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    With highly speculative stocks in either a bear or a correcting market, good news will have a muted effect, bad news will be exaggerated. Even the 'good' stocks are getting punted around. Definitely know what you have right now and what your expectations are. Make sure they match.

Quote Originally Posted by B Nation View Post
    I definitely don't agree with selling in a panic, but are you really sure that is what this is?
    Nobody really knows what will happen. You need to evaluate your risks.

Life is full of risks. You must take risks in order to reap great rewards. Nobody becomes rich playing safe.

By the way, if you sold during the early stages of the market turmoil, then you could buy back in at a cheaper price right now. This would reduce your risks even further and gives you chance at making even more money.

Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    Nobody really knows what will happen. You need to evaluate your risks.

Life is full of risks. You must take risks in order to reap great rewards. Nobody becomes rich playing safe.

By the way, if you sold during the early stages of the market turmoil, then you could buy back in at a cheaper price right now. This would reduce your risks even further and gives you chance at making even more money.

The purpose of my comment was just to tell the poster that perhaps his "fund manager" WAS doing his job by telling him to get out. Whereas he seemed to be of the opinion that if guys say it is a good time to sell it means they aren't doing their job.... which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by B Nation View Post
    The purpose of my comment was just to tell the poster that perhaps his "fund manager" WAS doing his job by telling him to get out. Whereas he seemed to be of the opinion that if guys say it is a good time to sell it means they aren't doing their job.... which doesn't make a lot of sense.
    My fund manager was not telling me to get out or stay in, he was asking me, via email, if I would like to move my money. What I didn't like was that the email had a tone of absolving himself of any responsibilty, and I understand nobody can tell the future, but I think this is an instance where I should be asking him what to do, not the other way around.

My fund manager was not telling me to get out or stay in, he was asking me, via email, if I would like to move my money. What I didn't like was that the email had a tone of absolving himself of any responsibilty, and I understand nobody can tell the future, but I think this is an instance where I should be asking him what to do, not the other way around.
    My mistake, I misunderstood the first time.

You are definitely right to question his/her motives. This seems like a very strange thing to do.

Anyone know the best way / place to buy gold? I'm not talking about investing in an exploration company, but actually buying gold by the ounce.

Buying Gold

You can buy gold at www.kitco.com

As Gold gains steam, some of you may be interested in a solid junior producer. By the end of this month, we could see a nice increase in share price.

Go to http://www.resourceinvestor.com/ and type in Starcore International. There are some great articles which clearly explain the story.

Been a while since I updated this. I have two plays that are just downright fantastic right now.

The first is Snowfield (SNO), it's a diamond explorer in North West Territories and they should be releasing a diamond count any day now. If you can get in first thing Monday morning in the .45 cent range, you'll stand a good chance at a great return. Look at the chart for STA on the venture exchange, and see what happened on December 7th, the day they released their diamond count.

The second is Bonaventure (BVT). The CEO has some serious connections and essentially stole a massive uranium deposit near James' Bay. The drills will be starting as soon as weather permits, and the first results will be coming by the end of summer I'm sure. This could will be in the hundres of millions of pounds of uranium. $10 a share is not too far fetched for this time next year.

Pitching Wedge prophet is on a distinguished road
    Sno will be up 75 cm buy the end of March
    Last edited by prophet; 03-02-2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: typo

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prophet View Post
    Sno will be up 75 cm buy the end of March
    HAHA, this one made me laugh, good one buddy.

Donny, which one is better? Sounds live BVT...
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Been a while since I updated this. I have two plays that are just downright fantastic right now.

The first is Snowfield (SNO), it's a diamond explorer in North West Territories and they should be releasing a diamond count any day now. If you can get in first thing Monday morning in the .45 cent range, you'll stand a good chance at a great return. Look at the chart for STA on the venture exchange, and see what happened on December 7th, the day they released their diamond count.

The second is Bonaventure (BVT). The CEO has some serious connections and essentially stole a massive uranium deposit near James' Bay. The drills will be starting as soon as weather permits, and the first results will be coming by the end of summer I'm sure. This could will be in the hundres of millions of pounds of uranium. $10 a share is not too far fetched for this time next year.
    just checked out SNO. Dropping like a snowflake - though quicker. now at .185.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Press Release from company coming up after the weekend, will prop it back up. They made a bobo with the first samples. I doubled my holdings.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    The day the news release came out, it was a down market day, and on top of that, the market over reacted to the news. There is still another 85% of the original sample to be tested. So at .18 this would a great opportunity to buy more.

Sigh, what a long year. Signs of recovery in Canada now, but I still don't believe in the US dollar. I think the US is in major trouble and they're going to have another huge drop in value. Since this all started, been researching safer plays instead of the small caps that I've invested in previously.

Natural gas is extremely low, and I don't think it'll stay this low. Sucks that our gas bills don't seem to be going down. Anyway, I'm invested in three ETF (exchange traded funds) for natural gas - T.HNU and T.GAS on the TSX and UNG on the NYSE. These are strictly based on the price of natural gas and they are very liquid so you have no problems selling when you have the gain you want.

Another fund I really, really, REALLY like is 49 North Resource Fund (V.FNR). Check out the website at www.fnr.ca. Sasktachewan is the place to be in Canada (aside from maybe the Timmins mining camp (T.WTM)). It's not liquid, so you can't actively trade it. It's a fund to hold, and enjoy. Very few shares outstanding. Do a google search on Tom MacNeil, you'll be impressed.

Aside from that, I hope you folks in the private sector haven't suffered too much with your RRSP's. A few of our consultants at work lost several years of gains and are just not getting back to their initial investment.

Thread Information