100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Golfing in Virginia

For those of you who are pining to get on some real grass, let me wet your appetites. My wife and I (together we another couple from Halifax) just got back from a week of golf in Virginia. The four of us played at the Shenandoah Gof Club in Front Royal, just a short drive from Winchester. We left Ottawa at 0600 on Saturday, March the 29th. After arriving at 3:00 p.m. we played 9 holes in 65 degree temperature. The next day was a washout - 6 inches of snow. The rest of the week was marvellous. With the exception of Monday, when the weather was in the 50s, the conditions were perfect -- sunny with temps between 75 and 83. And, best of all, we could play all day for $18 green fees. For my wife and I, it was especially interesting to see the results of the golf lessons that we had been taking all winter from Warren Weeks. To her great joy, my wife soon started hitting the ball like a veteran and shot her lowest score ever - 100. For me, it took a while longer to shake off my old habits of 40 years. It's one thing to hit a ball into a net with a new swing and quite another to do it on a real track when you're focused on scoring. The first 6 rounds were all in the high 70s with my old habits jumping in unexpectedly at the most inopportune times. But things came together on the last day when I shot a 69 from the blue tees. Where that came from I'll never know, but it certainly was one heck of a way to end the trip. We three days left of my vacation, I'll be pounding balls with purpose into the net this week.

7 Wood gumby is on a distinguished road
    played there march 27...course was in good shape considering...weather was good, only problem was the one nine that had the greens punched and had sand on them...good prices too...there were only a few people there so it was pretty quick...
    went down the road to fredericksburg and played meadow farms...28 holes(the fist is a warm up and doesnt count on your score card)..course was in good shape considering the rain and cold weather they had..again good prices and u can play all 27 if you want..sorry 28..
    from there we went to pinehurst...which is in n.c
    so doesnt fit in this virginia story...but if u ever go there MAKE SURE you play tobacco road..
    just aaaawwwweeeessssooommme...anyway it is a bit
    pricy if u just show up, but was ok in our package..
    by the way pinehurst makes a nice change from myrtle beach and its a little closer if u drive..courses are as nice as mb, but more hilly which i think make it more interesting..

8 Iron afulton is on a distinguished road

Golf In Virginia

Hello All
    For anyone else thinking of hitting Virginia for some early (or anytime for that matter) golf, consider Williamsburg (~12 hours from Ottawa). There are some great golf courses there. Another bonus is that March is (or was anyway) unlimited golf month, ie you play sun up til sun down at a good rate, you pay beforehand and just go, no cart fees when you get there, just play. Pams Golf Getaways is who we went with, all you have to do is give them dates and the places you want to play. We stayed at the Travel Lodge right in Williamsburg. THere is a decent restaurant across the street and an Apple Barrel ( I think that is what it was) where we got breakfast everyday, included in the package. The outlets stips are close as well. The hotel was decent and within 15 minutes of all the courses. I would suggest Legends at Stonehouse, Fords Colony - Blackheath, Colonial was nice, Royal New Kent (TOUGH), Kiskiack (like putting in your bathtub) and Golden Horseshoe - Gold Course. You can also play Kingsmill (Michelob Classic on the PGA Tour)
    Good Rates and lots of golf.

Thread Information