100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar

How To Feel A Real Golf Swing

by Bob Toski and Davis Love, Jr.

"We believe that when you feel the freedom and rhythm of the proper swinging motion for yourself, you will never lose it; you will realize, like a child on a swing, that surrender to the swinging motion is the ultimate control and the key to distance and accuracy."

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhh7 View Post
    by Bob Toski and Davis Love, Jr.

"We believe that when you feel the freedom and rhythm of the proper swinging motion for yourself, you will never lose it; you will realize, like a child on a swing, that surrender to the swinging motion is the ultimate control and the key to distance and accuracy."
    When you ask a golfer if they are feel oriented or a technical player most will say feel when they have no clue what they are feeling ...
    Kind regards, Harry

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by TourIQ View Post
    When you ask a golfer if they are feel oriented or a technical player most will say feel when they have no clue what they are feeling ...
    And maybe this is a good thing.

There is nothing wrong with being technical as one has to be to learn to swing better and you have to be technical, to some extent to do it. However, being technical should be confined to practice only. If you take being technical to the golf course, ie., swinging with CONSCIOUS swing thoughts, your play will be diminished overall, as going conscious interferes with the subconscious swing for which you have been training.

If the golfer simply tries to swing ON THE COURSE, with a smooth tempo, some may argue that this is NOT being technical, but it is. There is no difference in your saying to yourself, "Swing smoothly, " versus, "Drive the legs," or whatever. Both are CONSCIOUS thoughts.

Instead, the greatest chance for success comes from NOT having any conscious swing thoughts, or thinking about something that is not golf related, or a Clear key. Doing this allows your subconscious swing to take place, and it is better than your conscious one. To do this, your practice range time MUST include both technical training, AND training how to play on the course.

While golfers FEEL physical sensations when they swing, I don't think this is what is meant by a feel player. I would still like to hear what others think a "feel player" is, because I don't believe he exists in some contexts. Example: If a golfer has a 30' putt and takes a few practice strokes to "feel the distance," this is NOT feel.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Example: If a golfer has a 30' putt and takes a few practice strokes to "feel the distance," this is NOT feel.
    "Feel" in this instance is a word I have used in my mind when I do my best putting. I look at the hole and say to myself "feel it" as I practice the stroke imagining the ball heading to the hole and going in. Seeing the curve, 'be the ball.' Don't actually pick a spot to putt to, just allow my body to get into the position to do what my instincts are telling it to do. It may not be anyone elses view of feel, but it was strange how that came into my head.

For a more technical type putting stroke, I would say you look at the hole, look at the break, pick an exact spot to putt to, know your exact distance, know that if you take your putter 10" back and 10" forward then it should get there.

And maybe this is a good thing.

There is nothing wrong with being technical as one has to be to learn to swing better and you have to be technical, to some extent to do it. However, being technical should be confined to practice only. If you take being technical to the golf course, ie., swinging with CONSCIOUS swing thoughts, your play will be diminished overall, as going conscious interferes with the subconscious swing for which you have been training.

If the golfer simply tries to swing ON THE COURSE, with a smooth tempo, some may argue that this is NOT being technical, but it is. There is no difference in your saying to yourself, "Swing smoothly, " versus, "Drive the legs," or whatever. Both are CONSCIOUS thoughts.

Instead, the greatest chance for success comes from NOT having any conscious swing thoughts, or thinking about something that is not golf related, or a Clear key. Doing this allows your subconscious swing to take place, and it is better than your conscious one. To do this, your practice range time MUST include both technical training, AND training how to play on the course.

While golfers FEEL physical sensations when they swing, I don't think this is what is meant by a feel player. I would still like to hear what others think a "feel player" is, because I don't believe he exists in some contexts. Example: If a golfer has a 30' putt and takes a few practice strokes to "feel the distance," this is NOT feel.
    Hi BC MIST

A lot of good points. Yes the technical should be confined to the practice range, and a clear mind over the shot at hand while playing. This summer my son was playing his first tournament and tied for Low Gross and got into a playoff. On the 2nd hole I got to his ball and scoped it off with the Bushnell. It was on the wrong mode and I couldn't get a reading. When he got to the ball he said move dad I'm ready to hit. I said let me get you a yardage first. He said 'no' I am ready to fire. Many times he doesn't even take a practice swing while putting. He said he doesn't need to. Is this 'FEEL'? Anyway he won the tournament on the 3rd extra hole. He told me later his focus was a '7' for the 18 holes but near a '10' [his scale] during the playoff. I once watched him have 23 putts over 18 holes in a tournament. He one putted 13 holes enroute to a '66'. He said later, he knew even the 20 footers were going to go in before he ever addressed the ball. Is 'Feel' or just getting in the 'Zone'?
    Kind regards, Harry

Quote Originally Posted by little brit View Post
    "Feel" in this instance is a word I have used in my mind when I do my best putting. I look at the hole and say to myself "feel it" as I practice the stroke imagining the ball heading to the hole and going in. Seeing the curve, 'be the ball.' Don't actually pick a spot to putt to, just allow my body to get into the position to do what my instincts are telling it to do. It may not be anyone elses view of feel, but it was strange how that came into my head.
    “FEEL” is your subconscious mind’s ability to KNOW how hard to hit the ball to go a certain distance. One obviously does this without any conscious thought. What you describe above is partly pre-shot and pre-shot is your planning of the shot which is absolutely essential. Seeing the curve, checking the distance by just looking at the hole, walking around the hole, looking at your putt from the other side, WITHOUT A DETAILED ANALYSIS, are all pre-shot activities.

While practice swings are not essential, if you take one or two just to “loosen” up the putting muscles, or whatever, then this is fine. However, if you take a couple of practice swings, swinging back and forward a certain distance, thinking that this distance will project the ball the length you need, you are now off track. How many golfers practice swings are identical to their real swings? Virtually none. Some think they are rehearsing a FEEL for the upcoming shot, but it’s really just a practice swing.

At some point there is a transition between your pre-shot planning and making the stroke. Gripping the putter, setting up, and finally stroking are ALL part of the shot. The key to success in all of this is what is going on in your mind while you do this. What you do is ideal “just allow my body to get into the position to do what my instincts are telling it to do.” Your “instincts” is your subconscious telling you that if you feel comfortable, you are setup correctly. If you don’t feel comfortable, back away and start again. What is missing from your description above, is EXACTLY what you are thinking, when you make the stroke. If it is stroke, results or fear related, the ball may not go where you intend it to. If your thinking is anything but these three, then the ball will be close or in, as you will have allowed your subconscious to make the stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by little brit View Post
    For a more technical type putting stroke, I would say you look at the hole, look at the break, pick an exact spot to putt to, know your exact distance, know that if you take your putter 10" back and 10" forward then it should get there.
    Very true. And is this not the basis of what many instructors still teach, including Dave Pelz? One has to be technical when learning a stroke, but that has to be balanced with practicing the stroke without mechanical thinking, in order for your subconscious to learn to judge distance. Personally, when I an working on stroke mechanics, my line is good, my distance is awful. When I am NOT working on mechanics, and on the very long putts especially, I am amazed how often the ball ends up close to the hole. My subconscious is a much better golfer than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by TourIQ View Post
    A lot of good points. Yes the technical should be confined to the practice range, and a clear mind over the shot at hand while playing. This summer my son was playing his first tournament and tied for Low Gross and got into a playoff. On the 2nd hole I got to his ball and scoped it off with the Bushnell. It was on the wrong mode and I couldn't get a reading. When he got to the ball he said move dad I'm ready to hit. I said let me get you a yardage first. He said 'no' I am ready to fire. Many times he doesn't even take a practice swing while putting. He said he doesn't need to. Is this 'FEEL'? Anyway he won the tournament on the 3rd extra hole. He told me later his focus was a '7' for the 18 holes but near a '10' [his scale] during the playoff. I once watched him have 23 putts over 18 holes in a tournament. He one putted 13 holes enroute to a '66'. He said later, he knew even the 20 footers were going to go in before he ever addressed the ball. Is 'Feel' or just getting in the 'Zone'?
    Your son stood before his second shot and KNEW exactly how far he was from the hole, without the Bushnell, and what club he was going to hit. This IS what the subconscious did for him because he had done it before in practice and in play, and is what “feel” is. Practice swings are good to stay loose but are not necessary.

What sets your son and other good players apart from others who could be good, is described in your last sentence. “He knew even the 20 footers were going to go in…,” is an indicator of the positive attitude necessary to play well. He saw only the positive, the ball going in the hole and that frees up the subconscious mind to stroke the ball as it only knows how. The word “don’t” never crosses his mind. Most golfers fear something, fear of being short on the putt, or long, or 3 putting, or “if I make this, I will win,” or “if I miss this, I will lose.” These thoughts are destructive and inhibit the subconscious from making the correct stroke. In the pre-shot phase, i.e., planning the shot, the golfer must be aware of say, the water hazard and play away from it, however, he ONLY sees the shot that he wants as he gets ready to play.

IMO, being in the “ZONE,” is nothing more than letting your subconscious swing the club. Fear, mechanical thoughts and result thoughts inhibit the subconscious. When golfers play subconsciously, they very often remark afterward how “easy” it was to play well, and how much lower they could have been, “if only.”

It has been written in many sources, that 97% of everything that we do is done by the subconscious mind. Let your golf swing on the golf course be part of that 97% and your 3% will be one happy camper.

When I read this, “On the 2nd hole I got to his ball and scoped it off with the Bushnell. It was on the wrong mode and I couldn't get a reading,” I cringed, because your son had not asked for a reading, although I assume that is part of your routine. If he is “in the zone,” he does not need a reading and your telling him it is “178” to the flag would likely interfere with his “in the zone” thinking, creating doubt, perhaps resulting in a “Family Feud.”
    Last edited by BC MIST; 12-08-2006 at 12:03 PM.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I would still like to hear what others think a "feel player" is, because I don't believe he exists in some contexts. Example: If a golfer has a 30' putt and takes a few practice strokes to "feel the distance," this is NOT feel.

BC, I don't know the official definition of a 'feel player' but I count myself as one of them (if that is possible).

I for one NEVER take a practice swing, on approach shots I do not count off the distance to the pin, instead I look for the 100 yard marker and say ok, its approximately a full whatever or a 3/4 whatever... when putting, I do not take 10 practice putts, I look at the hole and then just pull the trigger letting my mind decide how far back I take the putter and the speed going through the putt....

Hey, I am not a great golfer and I very very seldom go to the range before a game to warm up, but I mostly always play between 80 and 90 (mostly low 80s) and even the occasional sub 80 round which I am quite happy with. This is my personal definition of a feel player. I tried the technical thing one year to try and improve my game so I could compete and all it managed to do was almost double my handicap so I went back to enjoying golf instead of making it an obsession to be the best! I decided to go back to being the best I can, while still enjoying the grand old game

My 2¢
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    BC,

Carey analysed me as a analyser with a tad of driver. I am one to work constantly on my game swing and putt and chip and pitch. Relentless. I clear key every putt and chip for the past 3 years. Ive become quite good at those. But i lack the nuts to use it constantly on full shots. When i do during a practice round at the range, the shots go off everywhere until i get back to my comfort level of 'a swing thought'...i hope one day to be able to continually use clearkeys throughout, i have on some occasions but with not much success. Carey has looked me over many a time but there is still work to be done.

How about this: every winter i practice at an indoor range, maybe its finally time that i practiced on clearkey to groove it. what do you think?

thanks, and i hope we meet up in 2007, this is one of my goals, and i always give a go at goals. lol

Feel

I'm with Indio!

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhh7 View Post
    I'm with Indio!
    Sorry bud, between me and the cats there is no more room on the couch!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

New Orleans

By the way, I was born in New Orleans...

When I read this, “On the 2nd hole I got to his ball and scoped it off with the Bushnell. It was on the wrong mode and I couldn't get a reading,” I cringed, because your son had not asked for a reading, although I assume that is part of your routine. If he is “in the zone,” he does not need a reading and your telling him it is “178” to the flag would likely interfere with his “in the zone” thinking, creating doubt, perhaps resulting in a “Family Feud.”
    Hi BC MIST

Yes knowing the actual yardage is part of the routine during tournament play. Duane does want information so he can have informed knowledge on what the shot calls for. For example, he likes to know the yardage, feel the texture of the ground under his feet, feel the slope of the green as he walks back to his ball to putt, know the wind direction and speed, etc. These each are inputs to gain himself added confidence before he pulls the club out of the bag and his subconscious mind takes over. His practice swing is only 1 swing of the club at 1/3 the speed. From the time he pulls the club until he pulls the trigger is ~15 seconds. He plays fast and does not dwell over the hard to execute shots. He makes many of these look easy. He plays the home course without any reference to any yardage, but many times under tournament conditions he is playing a new course for either the 1st or 2nd time.

I normally caddie for him and always give him a yardage to the pin, then I get out of his way to hit the shot. A tour caddie would give him this information so he might as well get it from the Bushnell. The 3rd tournament he played this season I was giving him distances with our Bushnell Yardage Pro Tour XL and my measurements were always about 8 to 12 different than what another guy lasered off. On the back 9 [which was the front] I gave Duane another # to the pin and he said "that can't be right" give me the rangefinder. Within a few seconds he said, 'Dad the darn think is reading in Meters not Yards'. No wonder he was getting onto the wrong tier of a green, with a resulting long putt.

As his 'amateur' caddie I was giving him the wrong yardage for most of the round. On a positive note, I did count his clubs before the round to ensure he only had 14. That day on 2 holes he hit drives of 345 and 355 yards, which is 315 and 325 meters respectively

BC MIST, regarding the "Family Feud" I just wish I could minimize my caddie mistakes which eventually cost him a couple of strokes that day and a possible win, but I am learning. Duane is patient with my lack of progress in this regard. Sometimes he just shakes his head and laughs, and then we get to 'trash talk' each other on the drive home.
    Kind regards, Harry

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar

While practice swings are not essential, if you take one or two just to “loosen” up the putting muscles, or whatever, then this is fine. However, if you take a couple of practice swings, swinging back and forward a certain distance, thinking that this distance will project the ball the length you need, you are now off track. How many golfers practice swings are identical to their real swings? Virtually none. Some think they are rehearsing a FEEL for the upcoming shot, but it’s really just a practice swing

If you don’t feel comfortable, back away and start again. What is missing from your description above, is EXACTLY what you are thinking, when you make the stroke. If it is stroke, results or fear related, the ball may not go where you intend it to. If your thinking is anything but these three, then the ball will be close or in, as you will have allowed your subconscious to make the stroke
    Interesting, I will have to keep that in mind next time I am out. At the moment I am definately use two practice strokes while looking at the hole, and I am thinking of distance and feel for line, not form at that time.

On my good days, I do feel comfortable. But on bad days I just can't get comfortable. I think with more time and practice I hopefully will get more and less bad days. I was truly awful when I started, but am improving with time, very streaky right now. Of course on my bad days then I am definately fear putting. I don't see the line and I feel I am putting in the dark. On the good days after my two practice strokes I get to the ball as fast as I can and my thought is to copy the feel of the speed of my practice stroke. As you say, I am probably not doing that, but that is what I am thinking.

Agent99
    I would still like to hear what others think a "feel player" is, because I don't believe he exists in some contexts. Example: If a golfer has a 30' putt and takes a few practice strokes to "feel the distance," this is NOT feel.
    I think a feel player is someone who plays with a joie de vivre mentality. They have faith and I don’t mean confidence. I basically mean believing that everything will be okay no matter what happens. Confidence implies (to me) that we know what will happen, which truthfully, we don’t. Faith, however, is more akin to understanding; it’s quantitatively different and individual, and it never leaves us.

Just my two sense worth!
    Last edited by Agent99; 02-16-2007 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 99 View Post
    I think a feel player is someone who plays with a joie de vivre mentality. They have faith and I don’t mean confidence. I basically mean believing that everything will be okay no matter what happens. Confidence implies (to me) that we know what will happen, which truthfully, we don’t. Faith, however, is more akin to understanding; it’s qualitatively different and individual, and it never leaves us.
    Golfers can either:
    1. Play golf subconsciously.
    2. Play golf consciously thinking of what or how they are doing something when they are doing it, or fear making mistakes.

#1 would be described a "FEEL" players. They "Just Do It," and don't think about it. This is the best way to play.

If you have to think about it, you are less likely to play your best overall. Neuroscience says so.

Playing subconsciously by feel

I agree. If you play this way, you can play golf, rather than playing golf swing.

Thread Information