As Pelz says, practice makes permanent. This is why I've been searching long and hard for better mechanics to work on. 2 years ago my putting was driving me nuts. On 4-6 footers (the round makers or breakers for me), my direction was not in control. I was never far off line, but I had no consistent miss pattern. Over last winter I figured out that I had way too many moving parts and compensations. So I picked up Pelz's book and worked with that. My putting did improve and I felt it was becoming more under control. Sparodic on the course but when I applied what I had learned, I was able to putt fairly well. But no matter what I could never get comfortable with the straight back and forth stroke.

This is also the first time I have really noticed face balanced vs. toe heavy putters. I have a CER C-Ray center shafted putter that is face balanced, while my Ody 2-ball DFX blade is slight toe heavy (plus is a traditional blade integrated hosel design). These are the exact designs that Utley notes are better for Pelz vs. Utley respectively. In practicing up to this point I have found my C-Ray was statistically (and felt) better than the Ody with Pelz method. Then when I tried the Utley method last night, the Ody was the better putter for me.

Like was mentioned by a previous poster, going from a Pelz stroke to an Utley screen door stroke is weird at first. You have to let the forearms naturally rotate with the swing such that the putter stays square to the swing path. But it is the first time I have felt a putting stroke where I do not doing anything that feels "contrived". Time to head to GolfTown and see how it works on their putting green!