100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    using a prohibited version of an EMD to take a measurement on the 1st tee, prior to teeing off.
    Good to go, by the book either way.

during your round your EMD "craps out".
    My equipment is my responsibilty. That is a no brainer.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I love my rangefinder cause I'm really anal about yardages, I spend silly amounts of time learning my yardages with each club using a distance caddy(the large contraption that they use at the golf shows to tell you how far you hit the ball, usually to the right of where your teeing your ball from.) Anyway there's a new contraption on the market call a Zelocity pure contact portable launch monitor and it kicks *****, borrowed one from a pro I know and it is really accurate down to about 21 yards. You can set it up for carry yards (Meters) or total yards. It also shows ball speed (cool).my buddy was hitting 164 m.p.h. ball speed with his driver pretty consistently but I couldn't get over 150 cause of my bad knee(that and I'm an old fart) . So getting back to the thread, I would find a way to learn your yardages before you buy a rangefinder or you will be very frustrated, also if your going to get a rangefinder please get a good one that's powerful enough to pick up a flag on a pin from 220 or more. I use a bushnell pro yardage 1000 and It's the cats meow,I got mine for 186 dollars on E bay (U.S),I also saw a Zelocity pure contact go for 180 (U.S.)on ebay yesterday.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213 View Post
    I use a bushnell pro yardage 1000 and It's the cats meow,I got mine for 186 dollars on E bay (U.S),I also saw a Zelocity pure contact go for 180 (U.S.)on ebay yesterday.
    Is this the one you're talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zelocity-PureCon...em160057573202
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post

....yes, and it is better by far than the distance caddy. If you want to practice hitting different length shots into a net this is the one to get. Retails 300 U.S.

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    Very interesting debate! I am looking into purchasing a rangefinder myself. I don't play tournaments or money games. I am more a feel player, but I do have trouble getting accurate yardages especially inside 100 yards or if I am left of right of the markers. I am too lazy to pace off distances outside of 10 yards. I would buy a rangefinder to hopefully further my quest to shoot lower scores. I'm not saying its going to help me execute great shots but it can't hurt can it? I buy the best balls, clubs, clothes/shoes, towels, tees, ball markers, bug repellant, beer(1)....why not a rangefinder. My question, and I apologize if this is thread jacking, what is the consensus for best model type. ie. ease of use, size, quality, price etc.
    "Get your smile on!"

Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road
    ....yes, and it is better by far than the distance caddy. If you want to practice hitting different length shots into a net this is the one to get. Retails 300 U.S.
    I am assuming that you don't actually have to swing through a ball ''hit the ball'. Deos it measure the club head speed and gives you a reading. I am asking because I have no place to hit the ball in my garage but I like to swing my clubs once in a while.
    Any other info like open, close club head?

Quote Originally Posted by Farzin View Post
    I am assuming that you don't actually have to swing through a ball ''hit the ball'. Deos it measure the club head speed and gives you a reading. I am asking because I have no place to hit the ball in my garage but I like to swing my clubs once in a while.
    Any other info like open, close club head?
    .......No it doesn't analyse club head speed,(get a swingmate for about 80 U.S. for that purpose). The Zelocity detects the ball and launch angle, that's why it will tell you only ball speed and distance carry or total distance (probably has a formula to get that yardage from carry distance) I believe it needs about 8 or 9 feet to read the ball so you probably couldn't use it in your garage.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Does it measure total distance? Or it's just a software converting swing speed into carry i.e 100 mph yields 230 carry?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Does it measure total distance? Or it's just a software converting swing speed into carry i.e 100 mph yields 230 carry?
    ......I believe it uses radar and follows the trajectory and ball speed to come up with a distance (very accurate) If you switch to total yards it probably has a formula to come up with the total, taking the carry and landing angle into consideration. I have used it quite a bit but I keep it on carry only. I won 2 on e'bay, one for 137.50 and one for 175.65 which I sold to a friend for 165 dollars.

....I bid on two of these monitors on ebay that were ending about the same time, I bid low on the first one and higher on the second one. Can you believe it ???? I won them both, one with a ridiculously low bid. Now I can read how far I hit the ball in stereo.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    My equipment is my responsibilty. That is a no brainer.
    Okay, but you didn't answer the question. The rules say that you can replace a club that has been damaged during the course of normal play. Should the rule be the same for your EMD?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Thread Information